• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

If a deal is done it wont be a 4 month rental imo.  The free agent market isn't that great this year.  

Is that a guarantee?

The FA market isn't great but there are teams with capspace to sign him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If the owner signs up for a complete/100% rebuild he can't get cold feet in the middle of year two.  That's how franchises end up in perpetual suck.  See Charlotte and Orlando and Detroit who havent believed in 'not competing' 

The only reason this team hasn't been competitive is injuries and suspensions.  The fact that we are competitive at full strength with a rotation almost entirely of guys 23 and under is friggin incredible and should make everyone pretty optimistic.  

Acquiring Drummond isn't getting "cold feet".  It's setting yourself up for the future when your younger guys become better and more consistent NBA players.

The Collins situation exposed just how much "talent" we really lacked on this team.  And just think, we had to call up a freaking G-Leaguer just to stabilize the team somewhat.

There's development and there's just throwing trash onto the court.

And let's talk about "development" and "rebuilds".  There's no cookie-cutter way we should be doing this.  What works for one franchise, may not work for another.  Acquiring competent vets who can hold the fort while the kids learn and develop, isn't a bad thing.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is that a guarantee?

The FA market isn't great but there are teams with capspace to sign him.

Well nothing is guaranteed but I dont think a deal is done for a 4 month rental.  Like Sturt says most likely no playoffs this year.  Yea there are teams that could sign him in free agency if he wants to go that way but they are playoff teams for the run and wouldnt give much for him, for example Toronto.    My understanding is he and Trae are good Buds.  

He really doesn't fit the scheme for today's NBA center, he is a low post bruiser.  

19 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I can see this being centered around multiple 2nd rounders and maybe even Alex Len. Brooklyn pick should be untouchable 

I'm not giving up my stretch 5.. They are a premium if I give up Len I would want Christian Wood in Return.. Atlanta should have Trae/JC/Huerter/Hunter/Reddish/Len/

Parker off limits.. The Brooklyn pick can be dumped. We have enough young talent anyway and we will have our own 1st round pick so Detroit can have the Brooklyn pick/dead money/ and any of the guys not mentioned.

Edited by LastDon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Well nothing is guaranteed but I dont think a deal is done for a 4 month rental.  Like Sturt says most likely no playoffs this year.  Yea there are teams that could sign him in free agency if he wants to go that way but they are playoff teams for the run and wouldnt give much for him, for example Toronto.    My understanding is he and Trae are good Buds.  

He really doesn't fit the scheme for today's NBA center, he is a low post bruiser.  

I have a feeling that the hawks won’t get him so everyone can stop worrying now 😂 

• Haha 1

Woj is normally not wrong but I’m not sure I believe the Brooklyn pick us really on the table !....if it was that deal would be done right now.

something is up!

Either it really is on the table but ONLY if Drummond commits to opting into next season guaranteed  OR the actual deal is centered around expiring contracts and 2nd rd picks for Drummond and Snell giving Detroit a good amount of cap space for this off season.

i dunno but all I know is I have beliefs the Brooklyn pick is really not on the table.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

We will be one of only a few teams who will have cap space. If we get Drummond now we have a great chance of resigning him..I think he will be a good fit..JC can play with anyone due to his great inside out game..In games where we struggle with  Drummond and spacing we can bring in a stretch 5 off the Bench.. I actually think Collins/Drummond is better fit  than Drummond/Griffin.. Griffin need the ball to slash..Collins is comfortable spotting up..

• Like 2

Y'all are overrating Drummond due to thirst of wanting something to happen.

Keep in mind, despite the size, athleticism, and rebounding .. he's actually a poor defender.

How is that possible? I'll tell you how.  It's because he has motor issues and has had them since high school.  IOW, it is who he is and it's not gonna change.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JTB said:

Woj is normally not wrong but I’m not sure I believe the Brooklyn pick us really on the table !....if it was that deal would be done right now.

something is up!

Either it really is on the table but ONLY if Drummond commits to opting into next season guaranteed  OR the actual deal is centered around expiring contracts and 2nd rd picks for Drummond and Snell giving Detroit a good amount of cap space for this off season.

i dunno but all I know is I have beliefs the Brooklyn pick is really not on the table.

I think Detroit is shopping around for the best deal. 

Drummond's ability to be an UFA next season is an issue just like it was with Charlotte and Kemba Walker. Teams don't want to give up real assets for that.

IIRC, Mitch Kupchack said his best offer for Kemba at the deadline was one mid to late 1st round pick, so they ultimately kept him and he left them. They did SnT him to Boston for Terry Rozier so at least they got 'something.'

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Question:

What kind of contract would you be willing to pay Drummond?

His max would be 5 year deal starting at $34.8 million. He'll be 27 next season.

For reference, 28 year old Vucevic signed 4yrs/$100 mil last season, 33 year old Al Horford - 4yrs/$109 mil.(declining scale).

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

If a deal is done it wont be a 4 month rental imo.  The free agent market isn't that great this year. 

Right. That's an important point. We're really the only team that's going to have any cap space, unless something changed since last I looked. So, the competition for his services will almost certainly be limited to us and DET or whoever acquires him... and if we're that team who acquired him, he's pretty much w/o any better option.

So, in that circumstance, he's almost certainly ours if we want him, and we would hold virtually all the cards at the negotiating table... come to think of it, we might even be able to pretty much pay him what we want to pay him.

If that's the case, maybe it makes sense. And if, that is, we really think he could be the right guy to plug-in at the 5 for a few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is pepto just for stomach bugs? Or is it when you’re nervous you’re about to get dealt?

He had a stomach bug and was spotted with Pepto Bismol, but it would appear Drummond will be a go. His name has popped up in trade rumors with the Hawks engaged in talks, so it'll be interesting to see if that affects his playing time.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Keep in mind, despite the size, athleticism, and rebounding .. he's actually a poor defender.

How is that possible? I'll tell you how.  It's because he has motor issues and has had them since high school.  IOW, it is who he is and it's not gonna change.

I'm listening... but I've never understood him to have the rep as a poor defender. Actually, quite the opposite. Educate me (...seriously, not disputing or just playing).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Exactly! 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. That's an important point. We're really the only team that's going to have any cap space, unless something changed since last I looked. 

Not so....Cavs, Grizz, Hornets, Pels, Knicks.

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Siap... didn't know this...

He's good.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2019/10/30/20937736/andre-drummond-is-making-an-early-case-for-defensive-player-of-the-year

He was #1 in the league in defensive rating (basketball-reference) in 2016-17 and 2017-18. Last year he was #3.
Among active players, he is #2 in this stat for his career.

In defensive win shares, he was 8th in 2015, 4th in 2016, 3rd in 2017, 1st in 2018, and 1st in 2019. This season, he is 11th so far in a small sample.

In defensive box plus/minus, he was #1 in the league in 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1