• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

I understand wanting to get better but I really think we should stop and think before pulling a trade like this. I mean things didn’t go the way we had planned with the suspension and injuries. We expected time to develop the kids.

It is what it is right now so why are we gonna try and play ourselves out of a potential top 5 pick. Yes, I understand the lottery odds but a few % here and there might effect the outcome.

With Drummond we could end up being the 10th worst team in the lottery vs top 3. Just saying we here now, let’s make the most of it.

I think we should stick with the plan and see it out the way we drew it up. Patience is the key. Tough times won’t last for too much longer. No bandaid 🩹 please.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, High5 said:

It's funny reading both sides of this trade. Atlanta fans are offering 2nd round picks and Detroit fans are willing to accept the Brooklyn pick + Cam.

You should see the Detroit fans that also think they can get 2 1st round picks, or Hunter. Couple also think Collins is a decent ask 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I understand wanting to get better but I really think we should stop and think before pulling a trade like this. I mean things didn’t go the way we had planned with the suspension and injuries. We expected time to develop the kids.

It is what it is right now so why are we gonna try and play ourselves out of a potential top 5 pick. Yes, I understand the lottery odds but a few % here and there might effect the outcome.

With Drummond we could end up being the 10th worst team in the lottery vs top 3. Just saying we here now, let’s make the most of it.

I think we should stick with the plan and see it out the way we drew it up. Patience is the key. Tough times won’t last for too much longer. No bandaid 🩹 

Let's look at it like this. Next year we will have 51-60 million in cap space. We have to spend it somewhere. The Nets draft pick will be about 2.5 .million in space. If Drummond gets us to draft slot 10 but not playoffs, it saves us another 4 million. If you are suggesting there aren't players worth that salary next year, then Drummond is your option.  

• Like 1

Makes no damn sense trading for a 4month rental in Drummond.  He will win us a few games and will impact our odds of getting either Anthony Edwards and the Wiseman kid on draft day.  Giving up Brooklyn’s 1st round pick for a rental, wtf.  

I would rather roll the dice and trade for KAT and aim bigger if we plan on trading assets.  

I say stay the course.  If we want Drummond, wait until free agency.  The plan is coming in place...the kids need to play and be patient.  Help is coming 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-hawks-reportedly-eyeing-trade-for-andre-drummond-whos-one-of-the-hardest-players-to-evaluate/amp/

You could argue Drummond is the best player in this non-superstar group. You could also argue he's the worst. As one Eastern Conference scout recently put it to CBS Sports: "[Drummond's] one of the hardest players to evaluate in the league." 

It's true. The numbers for the Detroit Pistons' big man are elite through an across-the-board, traditional lens -- the only player in the league averaging at least 17 points, 15 rebounds, two steals and 1.5 blocks entering play on Friday. But nobody knows what, exactly, to make of these numbers in the grander context of value, and ultimately, winning. 

Earlier this year, I was told by a league source that Atlanta has indeed been monitoring Drummond, and if the Hawks were to trade for him, they would be doing so with the obvious intention of retaining him on a long-term deal that will surely come at a heavy price. Otherwise, they'd just be trading for a player who can walk this summer. 

So how much is Drummond worth? And what might Atlanta be willing to pay him? Those might be two different questions, as the Hawks, with an expected $70 million in cap space this summer, might have to, or at least be willing to, overpay a bit to secure a player they see as a significant step forward in their mission to build a contender.  "I'll tell you this: I know for a fact there are teams that will say absolutely not, he's not worth a max," an Eastern Conference scout told CBS Sports earlier this year. "But I'll also say this: If I had to bet, I think that one team will. And all it takes is one, right?"

This is my biggest worry. That impatience leads to bad decisions.

The Hawks are indeed interesting. A Drummond-Trae Young pick-and-roll speaks for itself, and John Collinscould use a defensive anchor next to him. That said, Hawks GM Travis Schlenk told CBS Sports earlier this season that jumping into big contracts just because you have a lot of cap space is "the biggest mistake teams make." 

Schlenk, in other words, is not going to throw money at anyone he doesn't feel adds, significantly, to the still impressive young core Atlanta is building, despite their struggles this season. If Drummond isn't worth a max contract, Atlanta would not appear, philosophically, to be an organization that would irresponsibly stretch its resources. But signs have been building all season that the Hawks are starting to run thin on patience. 

...and if this is a byproduct of Owner Impatience........it makes me especially Nervous.

• Like 4

Why should Detroit trade him?  If he walks at the end of the season, his $$$ cap is gone, whether he is in Detroit or somewhere else.  What does the Pistons gain if they trade him?  Whatever they can get.

Is he the missing piece for the Hawks?  Is he the missing piece for any other NBA team?  If he is, someone is sure to grab him, if not now, surely next summer.  Is he the "one and only" great player out there.  One that will insure that his team goes far?  If he's not, why all the fuss?

Does the Hawk team really need an upgrade at center?  Most everyone agrees, they do.  Look at who else is available, both right now and at season's end.  Seems I read somewhere, there may be a center or two on the next draft.  Could we possibly use our 2 first round picks to move up for one of them?  We must wait until we know who has what in the draft order to speculate on this.

Somehow, I don't believe that any trade right now is a make or break deal for the entire future of our beloved Hawks.  Slowly but surly the rebuild progresses.  Don't panic now.

:smug:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, hawkster911 said:

Makes no damn sense trading for a 4month rental in Drummond.  He will win us a few games and will impact our odds of getting either Anthony Edwards and the Wiseman kid on draft day.  Giving up Brooklyn’s 1st round pick for a rental, wtf.  

I would rather roll the dice and trade for KAT and aim bigger if we plan on trading assets.  

I say stay the course.  If we want Drummond, wait until free agency.  The plan is coming in place...the kids need to play and be patient.  Help is coming 

I disagree.  Your not getting KAT, he has 4 years left on his deal.  As for the draft there are no players on talent level of Drummond.  The young players we have minus Trae are not game changers.  Free agency this year is thin.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-hawks-reportedly-eyeing-trade-for-andre-drummond-whos-one-of-the-hardest-players-to-evaluate/amp/

This is my biggest worry. That impatience leads to bad decisions.

...and if this is a byproduct of Owner Impatience........it makes me especially Nervous.

I don’t know if it’s true but I read somewhere it’s not only Resseler mad about where the hawks are at this point nor is it just Trae but also SCHLENK....now if that’s true that’s a huge huge surprise to many.

i am not at all surprised if the hawks have been monitoring Drummond this whole time. Who knows it may just not be Resseler who wants Drummond like some may think , it could also be Schlenk.

we can’t act like Schlenk has been completely truthful in all his interviews. He normally doesn’t let any thing slip . I also remember him saying that the way they did things in GS was ALWAYS by committee including the whole front office plus owner and Schlenk said that if a close decision comes down to a specific player then theyll roll with the majority and live with it....I believe that’s what happened between Doncic and Trae. 
The decision was split on those two cause they had them both damn near even on their draft board...maybe there’s a split decision going on with Drummond since they’ve monitored him this long....we just will never truly know

36 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Why should Detroit trade him?  If he walks at the end of the season, his $$$ cap is gone, whether he is in Detroit or somewhere else.  What does the Pistons gain if they trade him?  Whatever they can get.

Is he the missing piece for the Hawks?  Is he the missing piece for any other NBA team?  If he is, someone is sure to grab him, if not now, surely next summer.  Is he the "one and only" great player out there.  One that will insure that his team goes far?  If he's not, why all the fuss?

Does the Hawk team really need an upgrade at center?  Most everyone agrees, they do.  Look at who else is available, both right now and at season's end.  Seems I read somewhere, there may be a center or two on the next draft.  Could we possibly use our 2 first round picks to move up for one of them?  We must wait until we know who has what in the draft order to speculate on this.

Somehow, I don't believe that any trade right now is a make or break deal for the entire future of our beloved Hawks.  Slowly but surly the rebuild progresses.  Don't panic now.

:smug:

@gray mule. Why the Pistons trade him.  The Blake Griffin deal and other moves are choking their cap. They are currently $500k into he LT and they want out of the repeat offender cycle. As long as he isn't signed by another team in the off season, he ties up his entire max contract cap number and it means they cant do anything offseasons. If they trade him and cut the received player before the end of the season,  they 1) avoid the LT and 2) start free agency next year with space. Word is they will take space, 1 young developing player like Huerter and the Nets pick.  Turner, Huerter and our other 1st this year gets it done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Let's look at it like this. Next year we will have 51-60 million in cap space. We have to spend it somewhere. The Nets draft pick will be about 2.5 .million in space. If Drummond gets us to draft slot 10 but not playoffs, it saves us another 4 million. If you are suggesting there aren't players worth that salary next year, then Drummond is your option.  

I understand what you are saying as far as salary needing to be used and salary expiring in time for us to acquire players.

My thing is:

Drummond makes us falsely better for the time being, elevating us to 10th or 11th worst. All that’s really doing is damaging our draft position for the future.

Is it lame to say I’d rather sit on the money 💰.

We are a rebuilding team. I’m not sure why we are trying to elevate from a potential 20 wins to 28? 

I’d rather wait till 2021 for free agency or wait until the end of the year where stars become disgruntled and want a change of scenery. Then we strike!

Now is not the time. We need to chill 😎 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

@gray mule. Why the Pistons trade him.  The Blake Griffin deal and other moves are choking their cap. They are currently $500k into he LT and they want out of the repeat offender cycle. As long as he isn't signed by another team in the off season, he ties up his entire max contract cap number and it means they cant do anything offseasons. If they trade him and cut the received player before the end of the season,  they 1) avoid the LT and 2) start free agency next year with space. Word is they will take space, 1 young developing player like Huerter and the Nets pick.  Turner, Huerter and our other 1st this year gets it done.

They can get Parker he’s still young but they can’t have the Brooklyn pick and one of our young core players and I doubt they’ll get any team to give them that.

i think it’s either you get an additional 1st rd draft pick plus salary cap relief or you get a young player plus salary cap relief.

they will not get a draft pick and a good young player like huerter. Maybe a draft pick and a young player on the level of jones maybe.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I understand what you are saying as far as salary needing to be used and salary expiring in time for us to acquire players.

My thing is:

Drummond makes us falsely better for the time being, elevating us to 10th or 11th worst. All that’s really doing is damaging our draft position for the future.

Is it lame to say I’d rather sit on the money 💰.

We are a rebuilding team. I’m not sure why we are trying to elevate from a potential 20 wins to 28? 

I’d rather wait till 2021 for free agency or wait until the end of the year where stars become disgruntled and want a change of scenery. Then we strike!

Now is not the time. We need to chill 😎 

Whoever trades for Drummond will likely be the team that keeps him . That’s my mindset on this .

....and if the hawks have truly been monitoring him this long then they should go about acquiring him in a good deal.

personally and this is just my opinion of course I think the hawks have a huge possibility of striking out in the 2021 free agency with just trae and Collins on the team but would seem much much more appealing if Mid to Top level free agents see trae, Collins, Drummond plus the other youngsters.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Can a trade be dependent on a contract extension? I don't know if you can do that in the NBA, they do that in the NFL though. If it's a 4 month rental only there is no point.

Pretty sure it's illegal per the cba.  However, I think teams allow contact between the player and the prospective suitor which makes it ok.  Like approved tampering.

I think that's why the Chris Paul trade to HOU happened.  HOU agreed on the terms of his extension prior to the trade so they were ok with acquiring him.

• Like 1