Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I don't want to hear excuses about coaching defense. Communication starts with the coach.

Lol! No it doesn't. All coaches coach that the players must communicate, usually younger teams massively struggle at it because they don't know how to handle too much responsibility at this stage. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

Lol! No it doesn't. All coaches coach that the players must communicate, usually younger teams massively struggle at it because they don't know how to handle too much responsibility at this stage. 

My point is, he has obviously never had a practice involving a zone, so he has never communicated how we will play one., Players cannot read a coaches mind, what he wants done has to be communicated in practice first. So go LOL about us not practicing different schemes like other NBA teams do. I think its sad myself.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

My point is, he has obviously never had a practice involving a zone, so he has never communicated how we will play one., Players cannot read a coaches mind, what he wants done has to be communicated in practice first. So go LOL about us not practicing different schemes like other NBA teams do. I think its sad myself.

Your point doesn't make sense. All pro coaches coach defensive communication. The issue with us is we have players who simply struggle with the assignment and communicating. That's why LP simplified it to switching but they still miss reads or simply can't close out. 

We got shit defenders. You can't make these guys good at it sadly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So yeah, kinda get why TS and LP are obsessed with having three point shooters everywhere. Tonight we have just one.

Our offense is sad because if the threes are not falling, we have nothing else to fall back on, our defense is sad because we have nothing to fall on.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree that CLP isn’t a bad coach, but this game is a good example of how a great coach can help a team. 

Dallas has buy in from their players. Carlisle has won a championship and the young/role players follow his word. He knows what he is doing. CLP might have good ideas, but he is unproven as our players. Having a rookie coach and a young team is a bad mix at times. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Your point doesn't make sense. All pro coaches coach defensive communication. The issue with us is we have players who simply struggle with the assignment and communicating. That's why LP simplified it to switching but they still miss reads or simply can't close out. 

A 1-2-2 or 2 -3 zone is a easy defense Supes. It is why bad college teams use it against good college teams. If a college with a bunch of kids can pick it up; a pro team no matter how young should be able to pick it up.

I am over it, you think our players are stupid and you are writing LP a blank check for not coaching some very basic defenses. I just don't think that way about them.

It just blows my mind to think about it. This is the 120th something game LP has coached and I have never seen him try and stop the bleeding with a simple zone defense.

Edited by Buzzard

Just now, NBASupes said:

I agree, to a point.  When you're playing defense out on the court, it's on the players to be aware about what is going on out on the floor.  You have to recognize who can shoot the ball, who are the finishers, and have an overall feel for the game.  It's easy to see who are the players who have great defensive awareness, and who doesn't.  You immediately see it in guys like Cam and Goodwin.  You don't see it in guys like Trae and Kevin.

What the coaches control, are the defensive schemes.  I personally hate that the Hawks switch everything, because it opens themselves up to bad matchups down in the post with guards trying to guard bigs, or wide open shots on the perimeter because our big didn't rotate in time.

And God forbid if the opponent makes a few extra passes.  People are just completely lost.

LP should make his guards ( Trae and Kevin ) fight through every damn screen possible.  No more switching.  Give up the midrange jumper and not the easy layup at the rim, but the guards must contest that jumper.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Around the league.

Boston up by 20 . . . Tacko Fall watch is officially on.

Kyrie Irving hurt his knee . . limped off the court, so it may not be that serious

Spurs down by 17 at home . . to Charlotte.  The end of the Spurs is officially upon us.

Draymond Green with 16 assists tonight in a Warriors win over the Cavs

I want to see Tacko Fall vs. Boban Marjanovic.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree, to a point.  When you're playing defense out on the court, it's on the players to be aware about what is going on out on the floor.  You have to recognize who can shoot the ball, who are the finishers, and have an overall feel for the game.  It's easy to see who are the players who have great defensive awareness, and who doesn't.  You immediately see it in guys like Cam and Goodwin.  You don't see it in guys like Trae and Kevin.

What the coaches control, are the defensive schemes.  I personally hate that the Hawks switch everything, because it opens themselves up to bad matchups down in the post with guards trying to guard bigs, or wide open shots on the perimeter because our big didn't rotate in time.

And God forbid if the opponent makes a few extra passes.  People are just completely lost.

LP should make his guards ( Trae and Kevin ) fight through every damn screen possible.  No more switching.  Give up the midrange jumper and not the easy layup at the rim, but the guards must contest that jumper.

The bolded is the problem. 

• Premium Member

Beyond our poor defense, we don’t run much offense beyond pass and shoot if you are open. It isn’t every game, but our blowouts seem to happen when we are poor offensively (team wise). 

Jack up some shots, play bad transition defense, and all of a sudden the opposing team is on a 12-2 run. The game goes from being a 6 point game to a 16 point game in minutes. The defense is always bad, but we always lose games if we are dull offensively.

23 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I agree that CLP isn’t a bad coach, but this game is a good example of how a great coach can help a team. 

Dallas has buy in from their players. Carlisle has won a championship and the young/role players follow his word. He knows what he is doing. CLP might have good ideas, but he is unproven as our players. Having a rookie coach and a young team is a bad mix at times. 

This is a bad post. Dallas has no players who play mins with negative WARs. We have 8 players with negative WARs out of the 10 that were available for this game. That's not coaching, that's a lack of players who know how to play at this level. 

I been saying this for awhile our depth, our lack of starting center, and the combination of Trae/Kev as defensive partners makes our margin of error exceptionally thin. This is why we get blown out but some night, we win by 10 v. a great team. 

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is a bad post. Dallas has no players who play mins with negative WARs. We have 8 players with negative WARs out of the 10 that were available for this game. That's not coaching, that's a lack of players who know how to play at this level. 

I been saying this for awhile our depth, our lack of starting center, and the combination of Trae/Kev as defensive partners makes our margin of error exceptionally thin. This is why we get blown out but some night, we win by 10 v. a great team. 

Our 3/4/5 are gonna have to b good defenders for Trae/Huerter backcourt to work..Maybe this is why Schlenk   might be willing to move Collins for JJJ...lol. But then who do we sign at PF? 

Edited by terrell