• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Beyond our poor defense, we don’t run much offense beyond pass and shoot if you are open. It isn’t every game, but our blowouts seem to happen when we are poor offensively (team wise). 

Jack up some shots, play bad transition defense, and all of a sudden the opposing team is on a 12-2 run. The game goes from being a 6 point game to a 16 point game in minutes. The defense is always bad, but we always lose games if we are dull offensively.

I would say this game might have been the first game in the last 12 where we simply struggled to get great looks consistently even if we were shooting a similar FG% for most of the game with Dallas. The reason for that is Dallas doubled the paint at all times where Collins had a good shot but allowed 1v1 if Collins was guarded in the post by Kleber or WCS. 

They only gave Trae those long threes. They refused to give him any good looks close the basket. Probably the best rotational defense we have played this year. Not having Luka helps in regards to defense for them and v. a team who has shit rotations like us, no Luka helped offensively as well. 

We got open looks but they made it clear, it wasn't going to be Trae and in the 2nd half, it wasn't going to be Kevin. 

Their defensive gameplan was genius, hell so was their offensive gameplan. I'll give Coach Carlisle that. They made sure whoever Trae and Kevin was guarding was attacked and they made sure to make Jones defend in space which of course he couldn't. They also wanted to make Jones think which of course he couldn't. Jones was unplayable tonight but we had NO options due to injuries. 

If their was something LP could have done better in my opinion, it was tell Trae to shoot like Luka is playing or something. Other than that, our gameplan was fine. Without Cam or Hunter, you just lack too much length and defensive awareness. You can't expect Teague to do what Reddish does. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, terrell said:

HOw many games has Trae missed in 1.5 seasons?

Yeah, the only game he missed last year coach sat him and he wasn't happy about it. Trae doesn't look like he would be so durable but somehow he really is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Our 3/4/5 are gonna have to b good defenders for Trae/Huerter backcourt to work..Maybe this is why Schlenk   might be willing to move Collins for JJJ...lol. But then who do we sign at PF? 

We need to move on next year from the Trae/Kevin backcourt. Kevin needs to lead the 2nd unit once Cam is ready to take on secondary ballhandling responsibilities and 2nd and 3rd option offensive responsibilities next to Trae. Until that happens, we might as well just stick with Kevin. Our offensive rating is just much better with him and Trae together at this time. 

• Like 2

Honestly, Teague/Kevin/Harrell/shooting 4 or 5 in the 2nd unit next year will make a massive impact. 

Hawks need to sign Torrey Craig or Kenrich Williams in the off-season as well to play wing/forward role. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is a bad post. Dallas has no players who play mins with negative WARs. We have 8 players with negative WARs out of the 10 that were available for this game. That's not coaching, that's a lack of players who know how to play at this level. 

I been saying this for awhile our depth, our lack of starting center, and the combination of Trae/Kev as defensive partners makes our margin of error exceptionally thin. This is why we get blown out but some night, we win by 10 v. a great team. 

It’s an honest observation, not a bad post. I’m very positive and like Lloyd.

Beyond that, I’m not disagreeing with the talent level, but I’m not going to agree that CLP is better than Carlisle. I fully understand that we are at a talent disadvantage, but do you really think it would not help our young players if they had a coach who has won a NBA championship? It’s a growing pain for all of us.

1 minute ago, cam1218 said:

It’s an honest observation, not a bad post. I’m very positive and like Lloyd.

Beyond that, I’m not disagreeing with the talent level, but I’m not going to agree that CLP is better than Carlisle. I fully understand that we are at a talent disadvantage, but do you really think it would not help our young players if they had a coach who has won a NBA championship? It’s a growing pain for all of us.

While Rick is a great coach, LP isn't working with a decent deck of cards. That's why I didn't think the post was of quality. You can only do so much with this squad at this stage. 

Edited by NBASupes

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, the only game he missed last year coach sat him and he wasn't happy about it. Doesn't look like he would be so durable but somehow he is.

So wth is he talking about then?

We need Reddish and Hunter to be much better this off-season. 

We need a real center, hopefully someone with experience. 

We need M. Harrell as a backup big man. He's a bucket and an impact player off the bench. 

We need Kevin off the bench to be an impact player with Harrell. 

I don't know I want Teague back but if he's back, he needs to shoot the three MUCH better. He seems washed to me.

Trae just needs to polish up his decision making, PG skills, and shot selection. 

John needs to continue to develop his face-up game to go along with his 3pt shooting skill on O and on D, he needs to continue to watch film and improve his defensive acumen. He needs so much work at that. He's still bad defending in space. He needs serious work in that area. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

True, he hasn’t missed a ton of games, but he is showing signs of problems as the year is going along.

You combine that with him being kind of frail.

Just saying that it’s worth watching.

He just tweeked his ankle.  YOu act like he's Marvin Bagley...lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Honestly, Teague/Kevin/Harrell/shooting 4 or 5 in the 2nd unit next year will make a massive impact. 

Hawks need to sign Torrey Craig or Kenrich Williams in the off-season as well to play wing/forward role. 

Kenrich Williams is another player I liked in his draft.  His analytics were superb at TCU, but he dropped because he didn’t fit a particular prototype.  I felt he would have been a great pick for Bud.  

• Like 1

Last night, Ice Trae was ice cold.  Couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle.   Then, he was injured.  Hawks already had three players out, then added Cam and Trae.  Ugh.

In defense of Jones and his terrible night.  "We have three centers.  Two are already out.  You are it.  Don't foul out and leave Collins and Vince Carter to fill in for you."

Hawks couldn't score from anywhere.  Red was the only young player getting points and Carter was the only older Hawk to shoot well and he was injured but played on because we had run out of players.  

Right now, Brandon Goodwin is a better PG than our returning veteran.  He plays some defense and can score.  JT is having troubles with both.

Some time this Thursday the trade deadline cometh.  Looking for some NBA action this week.  Hawks may or may not be involved.

Sending get well wishes to the entire Hawk roster !!

:smug:

• Like 3