• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter

mrhonline

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just framing up a bit where he falls in his draft class.  You asked what it meant to be Marvin-like.  That gives some context.  For example, he has had a much better career than everyone taken at overall picks 5-9 in his class.  We all bag on Marvin and there is good reason for it but that is more about expectations than his career.  If he had been drafted #23 in his class, everyone would view him as a strong value pick.  

I agree with this but I don't like you're framing.  As my pal Supes points out, some of those metrics are wonky and may not paint the right ... picture (get it, framing, picture?).

If Hunter ends up having a similar career to Marvin, that's a good career for him but a failed pick for us.

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just framing up a bit where he falls in his draft class.  You asked what it meant to be Marvin-like.  That gives some context.  For example, he has had a much better career than everyone taken at overall picks 5-9 in his class.  We all bag on Marvin and there is good reason for it but that is more about expectations than his career.  If he had been drafted #23 in his class, everyone would view him as a strong value pick.  

Yeah.  that's what i meant.  He's been a solid NBA player for a long time.  Had he been on some better teams he might be more highly regarded.   Can't believe i'm saying that because I didn't really like him when he was here.  Less than most i think but i was wrong about his over all ability as a good nba player.   I think Hunter has much more potential especially offensively but we'll see.   To me the best part of his rookie season was he was pretty steady and the worst part was he didn't really show many flashes of being more than 3&D.

• Like 2

DeAndre Hunter reminds me of Shane Battier. It'll be interesting to see how he improves this summer as he gets stronger and the game slows down for him. This kid can be a solid player, maybe not an all-star but very solid.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, TRW said:

DeAndre Hunter reminds me of Shane Battier. It'll be interesting to see how he improves this summer as he gets stronger and the game slows down for him. This kid can be a solid player, maybe not an all-star but very solid.

IIRC, I  think maybe  @kg01 made that reference.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TRW said:

I didn't know, I'm not trying to steal anyone's shine. No doubt Hunter was the better college player though.

Not a problem, trw.  I was not high on Hunter at all.  Folks had visions of Kawhi but I never thought he had the seflishness (in a good way) to get to that level consistently.  But has too many tools to "fail" as a player.  I expect a solid high-level roleplayer so I'm hoping for a rich man's Battier.  That's not a star but certainly a guy that'll contribute to winning.

And don't mind @JayBirdHawk she's been tryna start stuff with everybody lately ...

trollbird.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I know i'll get killed for even mentioning it but will Hunter's career be Marvin-like?

Hunter can dribble without tripping over his feet and falling on his face. So i'd say no

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Not a problem, trw.  I was not high on Hunter at all.  Folks had visions of Kawhi but I never thought he had the seflishness (in a good way) to get to that level consistently.  But has too many tools to "fail" as a player.  I expect a solid high-level roleplayer so I'm hoping for a rich man's Battier.  That's not a star but certainly a guy that'll contribute to winning.

And don't mind @JayBirdHawk she's been tryna start stuff with everybody lately ...

trollbird.gif

I honestly think you hit on him last year. I have to give you props on that. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 6/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, Buzzard said:

He had one good season and it also happened in a contract year. People forget that. The junkyard dog is a myth. He was simply good, as in not a All-Star just good, for one season.

For his career he has been a complete disappointment. Allowed to walk from Utah to us for 2.5M a year. Traded by the Raptors as soon as they realized their mistake. Not resigned by the Nets who are looking at championship aspirations, and recently bought out by the Spurs.

If Hunter ends up being only as good as Carroll for his career, I will label him a bust.

We are not talking about Carroll "for his career". We are talking about Carroll in 2015 specifically towards the end of the season. He was fantastic. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I think alot of you are undervaluing Hunter.  I watched a game this past season where he scored 25 pts and very fluid.  He was coming off screens and shooting the ball well.  This was a game where Trae was out I believe.  

I'm not trying to undervalue him despite what i've posted.  I'm super optimistic but i kind of always am.  My thing though is that we're always high on the these youngsters but most don't become superstars.   So far Hunters shooting has been pretty impressive.   He's able to hit contested jumpers which will serve him well.   I can't wait to see his next season.   

And his defense.  Damn.  It's some great stuff from a rookie.  Once he cuts down on the fouls and starts getting some respect from the refs he's going to be a defensive problem. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
23 hours ago, kg01 said:

I agree with this but I don't like you're framing.  As my pal Supes points out, some of those metrics are wonky and may not paint the right ... picture (get it, framing, picture?).

If Hunter ends up having a similar career to Marvin, that's a good career for him but a failed pick for us.

Don't disagree but I think a lot of us think of Marvin in the same way we think of guys like Shelden, Acie Law, Childress, etc. and his career is much, much, much better than all of those guys.  There is a strong argument for him as legit top 10 guy from his class in a redraft.  If he goes beyond top 10, he won't slip too far beyond that.  

But Marvin2.0 is a fail for sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I think alot of you are undervaluing Hunter.  I watched a game this past season where he scored 25 pts and very fluid.  He was coming off screens and shooting the ball well.  This was a game where Trae was out I believe.  

I think that kinda highlights my point.  You see a performance like that then he'll have several where it looks like he just started playing basketball.  I can't see any reason why he can't be that guy every night, but he just kinda floats sometimes.  I saw the same at Virginia so I'm not basing it off one year.

That's why I say he lacks something which could cap him out at a high-level role guy.

15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I honestly think you hit on him last year. I have to give you props on that. 

Props ..... from supes .... in public forum .... 

surprised.gif

Is it my birthday?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Vol4ever said:

And he hit a ton of HUGE shots as a rookie..

• Like 3

• Like 4

• Like 2