• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

I'm suspicious that Bud threatened Travis with leaking out evidence of our brass forcing him to tank. With fear of penalties like future draft picks taken away, monetary penalties, etc; TS caved and let Bud walk so things didn't go public. 

I have no evidence of this..... just came from some head scratches at the time when we paid him and let him go elsewhere. I couldn't think of any other reason TS would just do that. I recall we were trying to get assets for him in a trade with Phoenix before he decided (another shortsighted decision) that PHO wasn't going anywhere. 

Anyone else crazy like me?

22 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I have no sympathy for Bud ever since his attempted coup in 2016 or 2017 when he tried to trade 4 UNPROTECTED FIRST ROUND PICKS for an EXPIRING PAUL GEORGE at the trade deadline. I'm so glad the Pacers turned down that offer; they did us a favor.

If you don't believe what I just said, look at this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710531-paul-george-trade-rumors-hawks-reportedly-offered-4-1st-round-picks-this-season

Coaches dont make good GM's. We have seen that time and time again. They get too desperate to win now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We caved because we wanted to start our rebuild and fighting Bud wasnt a battle that we had any interest in.

But we had already started the rebuild and were a year in. Bud was quoted as saying he left because he's "sick of losing"

5 minutes ago, warcore said:

But we had already started the rebuild and were a year in. Bud was quoted as saying he left because he's "sick of losing"

I thought TS went soft on Bud too, but it's water under the bridge now. Hopefully he will get fired if the Bucks lose this series.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

We caved because we wanted to start our rebuild and fighting Bud wasnt a battle that we had any interest in.

Exactly.  We into the stage of full blown tanking (started the previous season much to Bud's dismay) and Bud wanted to walk away from that.  Even though Budcox was the reason we were in that terrible situation to begin with.  We could have held him to his contract and kept him from coaching another team but he would have undermined all the messaging around that rebuild.  Even though we'd have to commit to paying him 100% of his salary (which would mean he would sign a cheap deal with someone else to partially mitigate the huge amount we were paying him) they decided we just didn't want to have to fight about it and wanted a clean break.  I just think that Bud greedily gouged the team in that context where his mismanagement drove us to a rebuild in the first place.  He inherited a nice roster from Ferry and did a pretty terrible job with it and then decided to jump ship.  Should have agreed to a reduced buy-out in that circumstance.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Found this:

It’s unclear what Milwaukee is paying him, but it is clear that Atlanta paid him for this past season and will do so once again next year. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (via NBC Sports😞

Budenholzer had two years and approximately $13 million remaining on his contract. He will get it all, which is a lump Hawks owner Tony Ressler did not want to swallow. But if Budenholzer is hired by another organization, which is expected — he’s currently a candidate for the New York Knicks’ job — his new salary will shrink the Hawks’ financial obligations.

Since he quickly signed a contract with Milwaukee, the prevailing assumption is that the two teams split the difference on that $13 million for the first two seasons of his current contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Found this:

Since he quickly signed a contract with Milwaukee, the prevailing assumption is that the two teams split the difference on that $13 million for the first two seasons of his current contract.

yep.  exactly.  hawks didn't pay his full salary.  i still don't see the big deal.  Hawks didn't want him but they were going to drag their feet on firing him as long as possible.   

My big gripe has always been:  Bud was under contract to work for the Hawks for two more years when he left.  He wasn't fired.  He left.  Yet, Atlanta was still obligated for two more years salary.  He should have either stayed and been paid for his two years work - Perhaps, as a scout or the coach of the G League team - or he should have to lose his remaining salary.  

This is too much like a divorce - Expecting alimony when the new mate is wealthy.  

Was his salary sufficient while he was here?  We believe it was.  Stinks that we had to pay him anything to coach our competition.  He only wanted our money.  That's all.  By the way, is his new team still in the playoffs?  Can we move on now?  Have we finally paid him off?

😪

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Denver got swept right out to see and gone fishing. I'm surprised they didn't win even 1 game.

Ya me too. Suns looking strong. Call me crazy I still got the Clipps coming back to beat the Jazz and then the Suns too.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya me too. Suns looking strong. Call me crazy I still got the Clipps coming back to beat the Jazz and then the Suns too.

Would not be surprised by LAC, when Kawhi goes 'Robot Mode' hard to stop, he just needs PG to not disappear.

Just now, Dnice said:

Same, yes they missed Murray, but he's been out for a while, nothing to adjust to so recently.

They're also missing Will Barton, but still - just unexpected with the sweep.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Would not be surprised by LAC, when Kawhi goes 'Robot Mode' hard to stop, he just needs PG to not disappear.

They're also missing Will Barton, but still - just unexpected with the sweep.

I’m honestly surprised Facundo didn’t do more for them. Also, I wanted to make you say Facundo. :laugh1:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You made me say it nor once but twice. Lol

I told my wife if he had an Italian restaurant I’d eat there without even checking on reviews. Lol. 

Wine 🍷 and dine 🍽 and Facundo Campazzo’s. It just sounds delicious.

GF: :indifferent:

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I told my wife if he had an Italian restaurant I’d eat there without even checking on reviews. Lol. 

Wine 🍷 and dine 🍽 and Facundo Campazzo’s. It just sounds delicious.

GF: :indifferent:

He's from south America though