• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

I agree. That's a huge factor. The physicality is everything. Especially when you consider the bigs that we have faced are all physical by nature.

We were caught sleepwalking. The Knicks and Sixers literally smacked us in the mouth in several occasions. Game 1 seemed like a softball game compared to what we were used to. The Bucks flipped a switch just like they did at the end of the season and ramped up the pressure. The refs went along for the ride.

Exactly. The Hawks weren't prepared for that because of how Game 1 was officiated. This was a new crew, but there shouldn't be that big of a difference in officiating if the rules are the same. But now that the Hawks know what it is, I expect them to be prepared and keep their poise like they did against the Knicks and 76ers. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Anyone keeping up with the Suns v Clippers?

Ayton is going to be a great center for the Suns. He call ball on both ends like Embiid minus the flops.

I got nothing against Capela, that's my dawg, but its a big difference when you have a two way threat at center on the court. So much easier for the perimeter players to play off of that kind of attention in the middle.

Also, maybe it's just me but, the intensity doesn't seem the same in their series as it has been in ours so far. I feel like I'm watching a regular season game against two really good teams.

Not to overstate the obvious, but there are only so many of those guys in the NBA. It's why Ayton went 1st overall in a draft with Luka and Trae. Not that he's a better player than either of them, obviously, but that type of player has huge value. How many of those guys do we have that are similar, above average on both offense and defense? Embiid, KAT, Jokic (although fairly weak on D), Bam, and Ayton. That's pretty much it. Even Vuc is a perennial all-star because he's so good on offense even being a defensive liability. 

I love Capela and the impact he's given our team this year, but let's be real for a minute: he's limited. When we compare him to Len and Damian Jones we can all be extremely appreciative of what we currently have at C instead. It's a night and day difference. That doesn't mean it can't get better. There is a reason Yeka was drafted at #6. 

Two reasons actually. First, it's hoped that he will develop into a better two way threat than Capela at some point. The defense is going to be there, obviously the offensive development is the lynchpin of this conversation.  He's got a long way to go on offense and I'm curious to see how he develops there over the next few years. But he does show some tools on that side. 

Second, and probably just as important, is he can provide scheme versatility on defense. With Capela we are obligated to only be able to play a drop scheme on defense. Capela doesn't have the agility or quickness to play a switching scheme, unlike someone like Bam for example. One of the reasons Miami strolled through the East in the playoffs is because they could switch between drop coverage or switch coverage depending on the opponent. That is the defensive potential Yeka can provide for us in the future. 

As long as Yeka continues to develop, these are the two reasons he's likely going to be our center of the future in another year or two. 

Meanwhile I'm watching Reggie Jackson out play Paul George down the stretch. Playoff P has bricked his last 6 or 7 shots when the Clips have been with 1-3 points of tying the game. Reggie comes around and scores their last 4 points.

Might be time to put the ball in his hands instead.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Meanwhile I'm watching Reggie Jackson out play Paul George down the stretch. Playoff P has bricked his last 6 or 7 shots when the Clips have been with 1-3 points of tying the game. Reggie comes around and scores their last 4 points.

Might be time to put the ball in his hands instead.

I don't see any reason to fear either team in the WCF right now. The Suns and the Clippers without Leonard are both good teams but not elite. I can't help but feel like if the Hawks can somehow make it past the Bucks, anything can happen.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Not to overstate the obvious, but there are only so many of those guys in the NBA. It's why Ayton went 1st overall in a draft with Luka and Trae. Not that he's a better player than either of them, obviously, but that type of player has huge value. How many of those guys do we have that are similar, above average on both offense and defense? Embiid, KAT, Jokic (although fairly weak on D), Bam, and Ayton. That's pretty much it. Even Vuc is a perennial all-star because he's so good on offense even being a defensive liability. 

I love Capela and the impact he's given our team this year, but let's be real for a minute: he's limited. When we compare him to Len and Damian Jones we can all be extremely appreciative of what we currently have at C instead. It's a night and day difference. That doesn't mean it can't get better. There is a reason Yeka was drafted at #6. 

Two reasons actually. First, it's hoped that he will develop into a better two way threat than Capela at some point. The defense is going to be there, obviously the offensive development is the lynchpin of this conversation.  He's got a long way to go on offense and I'm curious to see how he develops there over the next few years. But he does show some tools on that side. 

Second, and probably just as important, is he can provide scheme versatility on defense. With Capela we are obligated to only be able to play a drop scheme on defense. Capela doesn't have the agility or quickness to play a switching scheme, unlike someone like Bam for example. One of the reasons Miami strolled through the East in the playoffs is because they could switch between drop coverage or switch coverage depending on the opponent. That is the defensive potential Yeka can provide for us in the future. 

As long as Yeka continues to develop, these are the two reasons he's likely going to be our center of the future in another year or two. 

Yeah, I've said it before but I still think it's quite possible Ayton is #1 in a hypothetical redraft down the road (once every has 5-7 years of tenure).  The dude is still pretty raw but he's a monster.  Even for the guys you listed, Jokic/KAT are not great defenders, pretty average for centers, barely positives on that end of the floor.  Embiid is elite offensively and very solid on defense.  I think Ayton has potential to be just as good as Embiid.

6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I've said it before but I still think it's quite possible Ayton is #1 in a hypothetical redraft down the road (once every has 5-7 years of tenure).  The dude is still pretty raw but he's a monster.  Even for the guys you listed, Jokic/KAT are not great defenders, pretty average for centers, barely positives on that end of the floor.  Embiid is elite offensively and very solid on defense.  I think Ayton has potential to be just as good as Embiid.

He's not as good as the pure center skills even at the same age as Embiid but Ayton does the little things better at the same stage. I don't know if he can be as good as Embiid but he can be as impactful in his prime. He wasn't the #1 pick for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/26/2021 at 11:43 PM, hawkman said:

I don't see any reason to fear either team in the WCF right now. The Suns and the Clippers without Leonard are both good teams but not elite. I can't help but feel like if the Hawks can somehow make it past the Bucks, anything can happen.

It's gonna be the Suns. They play solid team ball. 

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More than a shooter.

Wow Huerter with seats and Bogi with swipes. Good deal! 

Just now, capstone21 said:

We have to get past Bucks first … far from over

Thank you. One game at a time. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

We have to get past Bucks first … far from over … don’t look past your current opponent… that is what bucks did when they knew Trae was out.  

*This is aimed at the board in general, Capstone just happens to be the person that made this comment that triggered this response. Not singling him out. 

Look, I understand why a lot of fans take this approach, especially in this city, but I'm about tired of it so this is me pushing back on this narrative that I find...well, there's really no polite way to say it so I'll just call it weaksauce behavior. 

We don't play the game, we are fans. What we say has absolutely zero impact on how these games turn out. The players absolutely should not take this stance, but we aren't players.

I loath the shell-shocked skittishness that most state of GA fans have towards their teams. You either BELIEVE or you don't; if you're hedging your bets then you don't really believe. 

Now I'm not telling people they have to believe what I believe, but I am gonna say stop freakin criticizing those of us that have confidence in our team to pull this out, please. If you don't want to hypothesize about matchups beyond our current one, fine, nobody has to participate in that conversation if they don't want to, right? But please come off the soapbox and acting like it's wrong for those us that want to engage in that conversation. 

👌

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

*This is aimed at the board in general, Capstone just happens to be the person that made this comment that triggered this response. Not singling him out. 

Look, I understand why a lot of fans take this approach, especially in this city, but I'm about tired of it so this is me pushing back on this narrative that I find...well, there's really no polite way to say it so I'll just call it weaksauce behavior. 

We don't play the game, we are fans. What we say has absolutely zero impact on how these games turn out. The players absolutely should not take this stance, but we aren't players.

I loath the shell-shocked skittishness that most state of GA fans have towards their teams. You either BELIEVE or you don't; if you're hedging your bets then you don't really believe. 

Now I'm not telling people they have to believe what I believe, but I am gonna say stop freakin criticizing those of us that have confidence in our team to pull this out, please. If you don't want to hypothesize about matchups beyond our current one, fine, nobody has to participate in that conversation if they don't want to, right? But please come off the soapbox and acting like it's wrong for those us that want to engage in that conversation. 

👌

One game at a time brother.