• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next person who calls De'Andre Hunter a PF gets my foot in their back side.

thecampster

So @thecampster....the ONLY reason I’ve ever stated him as a 4 is because both @NBASupes guy and Kirschner have said the Hawks Front office is not sure if Hunter is better suited at the 3 or the 4 or possibly both.

I go by what I read and what I personally trust . Some people on here don’t trust you or supes sources but there’s absolutely no reason not to trust what Kirschner writes up cause he publicly has inside sources with this franchise.

until one of you tell me that the hawks aren’t looking at hunter as a 4 anymore then I will stop saying it but as of right now he’s just a forward based on the reports of the front office therefore he’s a SF or PF based on the lineups is how I take it.

• Thanks 2

Who does Hunter remind y'all of now that we have had a season to see him play?

He still isnt quick but he is a lot more explosive than I initially thought. His straight line speed once he gathers is  pretty fast. He can usually blow by defenders with no dribble. Still methodical and robotic with the ball.

I still get Kawhi vibes offensively, just a very raw version. Defensively he still has a ways to go. Kind of looks like skinny Melo on defense right now haha .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Who does Hunter remind y'all of now that we have had a season to see him play?

He still isnt quick but he is a lot more explosive than I initially thought. His straight line speed once he gathers is  pretty fast. He can usually blow by defenders with no dribble. Still methodical and robotic with the ball.

I still get Kawhi vibes offensively, just a very raw version. Defensively he still has a ways to go. Kind of looks like skinny Melo on defense right now haha .

Joe Johnson but in today’s league they would have tried to put johnson at SF and then PF for small ball play. But he really reminds me of a poor mans joe johnson right now.

I would love to see him turn into Leonard but I just don’t see superstar potential in hunter. I see all star potential possibly. That’s not a knock on hunter but he don’t have the superstar potential like Trae and Cam. Hunter is on my all star potential list along with JC. 

13 minutes ago, JTB said:

Joe Johnson but in today’s league they would have tried to put johnson at SF and then PF for small ball play. But he really reminds me of a poor mans joe johnson right now.

I would love to see him turn into Leonard but I just don’t see superstar potential in hunter. I see all star potential possibly. That’s not a knock on hunter but he don’t have the superstar potential like Trae and Cam. Hunter is on my all star potential list along with JC. 

Ahhh that's a good one. I can dig it.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So signing 2 additional power forward and drafting another power forward/center with only 1 addition to small forward position doesn't send any messages from the front office @JTB

Your Answer is below @High5 ....

40 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't know why some of you have such difficulty accepting that some players can play more than 1 position depending on the matchup. I would rather have Hunter defending a 4 like Gallo instead of JC.

To add outside of Gallo, hunter is our only young player who can play SF/PF as a combo . No one else on our team can do that outside of him and Gallo. Honestly Gallo is not a SF anymore to me but I’m sure during certain situations we will see him at the 3.

In general we have to stop thinking traditional lineups in this era cause tradition is all but ending. Most teams don’t have a traditional lineup pg-C ....I will say that the true center position is starting to pick up again however perhaps because the lakers and bucks rolled out a big or transitional lineup and ate teams up last season. It was too much size to deal with .

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's still developing into a full time 3. Atlanta clearly thinks that's what they drafted him for and he's been working to that so he's a 3 but it was always going to take time 

If Jason Tatum is playing the 4 for the Celtics,  Hunter will probably be guarding him. It's not the old time definitions of threes and fours. It's match up dependent.  If it's a bigger four who's not too quick, you'd probably have JC guarding him. If it's someone like Tatum or Siakiam, you'll probably have Hunter guarding them. Hunter actually did a very good job guarding him last year from some clips I've seen.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If Jason Tatum is playing the 4 for the Celtics,  Hunter will probably be guarding him. It's not the old time definitions of threes and fours. It's match up dependent.  If it's a bigger four who's not too quick, you'd probably have JC guarding him. If it's someone like Tatum or Siakiam, you'll probably have Hunter guarding them. Hunter actually did a very good job guarding him last year from some clips I've seen.

I was just remarking how small Boston is. They start a 6-8 Tatum at PF and 6-8 Theis at center and get away with it.

If that was us people lose their minds.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

For years, there have been players of all height who played positions that were much bigger than they.

Off top: 

Hakeem Olajuwon@C  

Kevin Willis@C

Sir Charles Barkley@PF

Alonzo Morning@C

As far as Hunter is concerned, I would think he was a Swingman...  Cam too.   But Swingman who can play the 2 or the 3.   But not the 4.   There's an old addage in Basketball, you are what you can defend.   I don't think Gallo can defend the 3 (well) anymore so I see him more a a 4.   If Joe Johnson came back to basketball with his new bulk, my guess is that he would be a Stretch 4.    And even if Hunter can guard the 4, he makes so much more sense at the 3 for us. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

In general we have to stop thinking traditional lineups in this era cause tradition is all but ending. Most teams don’t have a traditional lineup pg-C ....I will say that the true center position is starting to pick up again however perhaps because the lakers and bucks rolled out a big or transitional lineup and ate teams up last season. It was too much size to deal with .

To your statement, I think that the splash brothers changed basketball.   They showed that basketball can be potent through the PG/SG position and they showed that you don't need a dominant 5 to dominate.   OK, Jordan's Bulls showed this too but Jordan's Bull's didn't have a dominant 1  AND GS dominance had nothing to do with Defense. 

This is what people miss and misinterpret about the Warriors.  One on one, they could never dominate by defense.  But their team defense strategy was great.  The lesson from them was that you don't need to have the traditional lineups to win... especially with Draymond at the 4 and 5.   BUT  that was in a situation were big  Centers who can dominate were missing.   Fast forward just a few years.   Embiid, Allen, Gree K Freak, and even KAT are all coming into their own.  And there's more to come.  Small ball may be dying. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

To your statement, I think that the splash brothers changed basketball.   They showed that basketball can be potent through the PG/SG position and they showed that you don't need a dominant 5 to dominate.   OK, Jordan's Bulls showed this too but Jordan's Bull's didn't have a dominant 1  AND GS dominance had nothing to do with Defense. 

This is what people miss and misinterpret about the Warriors.  One on one, they could never dominate by defense.  But their team defense strategy was great.  The lesson from them was that you don't need to have the traditional lineups to win... especially with Draymond at the 4 and 5.   BUT  that was in a situation were big  Centers who can dominate were missing.   Fast forward just a few years.   Embiid, Allen, Gree K Freak, and even KAT are all coming into their own.  And there's more to come.  Small ball may be dying. 

Hunter does not offer his team any advantages when he plays the 4.  Don't know what the obsession is here for him to play the 4

16 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Agreed!