• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

Collins had just as many chances the past two seasons to make a All Star game as Mitchell. If you are not a All Star, you are not a max player. I like Collins a lot but that is a harsh reality. His camp knew this but they were probably using Fox as a example. The Kings are the last team I think Schlenk wants to emulate.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I was really hoping for no potential locker room distractions this season, but what's done is done. The inevitable trade rumors can hurt a young team that desperately needs stability and continuity. I felt like the "core" was set with the only questionable component being the coaching staff. Hopefully, Collins makes himself invaluable to the team because I really like how he and Trae play together. 

I hope this isn't what we see all season...JC standing in the corner.

20201221_202149.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Now THAT would be a slap in the face.

Collins going to Dallas, to team up with Luka and KP.

That's the absolute worse case scenario.

They should be a concern. KP plays mostly center now and they need a 2nd/3rd wheel in a bad way.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well I was bitter when he got suspended last year....Just sayin..

And I think this is what eventually did him in. I’m all for locking him up, don’t get me wrong. We had a quick start to last year, and his suspension really derailed any chance we had to at least be in the talk for what was eventually a team in the bubble. He doesn’t miss 25 games and I promise you we don’t wind up with the record we did.

So, let’s see what he does in a full season with expectations. He will get paid if he deserves it. Beyond his game, he has a good mindset and I think he will handle this fine despite what the media tries to make of it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Dallas isn't going to max out Collins, and the Hawks would likely match a deal for a #3.

Last I heard Dallas will have about 28 million after renouncing Hardaway Jr, They can offer him 4 @ 25 million and not blink.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Last I heard Dallas will have about 28 million after renouncing Hardaway Jr, They can offer him 4 @ 25 million and not blink.

And we could easily match that if we wanted to. That's what a #3 makes. 2 maxes and ~$25m for most contenders.

2 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

And we could easily match that if we wanted to.

I know. I think Collins is looking for more and he over played his hand. But just maybe some outlier of a team offers him more. Its always possible and he will be a top five free agent next year.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Have no doubt that if JC continues current trajectory, he'll remain a Hawk, though he'll get paid a little more than Ressler/Schlenk offered. Our FO holds the power (obviously).

Only way that changes is if some inexplicable deal emerges at the trade deadline where we get an offer we can't refuse--though I really scratch my head at who/what would come our way.

If he plateaus, then things become more dicey.

I don't hate this situation where JC is concerned so much as I hate it for the message it sends to Cam, DHunt and Velvet, ie,"Maybe it's smart to care more about your own stats than it is your contribution to the overall team--ultimately, you will be squeezed because ultimately, for all of the talk about pursuing something better than an 8th seed, this is a business."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

They should be a concern. KP plays mostly center now and they need a 2nd/3rd wheel in a bad way.

KP plays suit model (aka DNP-injured) mostly now, so color me unconcerned about the mavs.

And that's despite the eggsperts painting them as "contenders".

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

KP plays suit model (aka DNP-injured) mostly now, so color me unconcerned about the mavs.

And that's despite the eggsperts painting them as "contenders".

KP's injury woes makes it more important for the Mavs to try and shore up their front line with a dependable player/scorer.

Edited by Buzzard