• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

7 hours ago, hawkster911 said:

Nuking the details.  Sign JC to whatever Schlenk deems feasible. 

Schlenk found value for JC (#19 pick) + package players/pick and flip for a superstar. 

A superstar coming to ATL...that would be the ultimate GM master planning to pair with Trae.  Bet!

We've had this discussion. Who is the Superstar? Name someone that fits on the court, age, contract, personality, playing style that makes sense, that's realistically available. I cant think of anyone.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We've had this discussion. Who is the Superstar? Name someone that fits on the court, age, contract, personality, playing style that makes sense, that's realistically available. I cant think of anyone.

Diesel identified James Harden! 🤦‍♂️

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Leon Rose isn't your normal Knicks GM and they got Toppin

Hawks had Collins, but still signed Gallo..................So you're either saying Rose is better than Schlenk, or Toppin is better than Collins.............................lol

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I was thinking about something Nate Duncan implied about players being a little less inclined to take declining deals this year due to the escrow changes.

Knowing that JC is a good fit for incentives, I wondered what the Hawks would have to offer to get John to the 4-yr max another team could offer if you assume ~$3M in ("unlikely") annual incentives.

I have a feeling it's the upper bound in term of guaranteed $ he'll get offered by Atlanta via extension.

Year 1 2 3 4
Salary $24.29 $26.23 $28.18 $30.12
% Diff 8.00%      
Run. Total $24.29 $50.53 $78.70 $108.83

Gotta say...I don't think that's^^^ too appealing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

I was thinking about something Nate Duncan implied about players being a little less inclined to take declining deals this year due to the escrow changes.

Knowing that JC is a good fit for incentives, I wondered what the Hawks would have to offer to get John to the 4-yr max another team could offer if you assume ~$3M in ("unlikely") annual incentives.

I have a feeling it's the upper bound in term of guaranteed $ he'll get offered by Atlanta via extension.

Year 1 2 3 4
Salary $24.29 $26.23 $28.18 $30.12
% Diff 8.00%      
Run. Total $24.29 $50.53 $78.70 $108.83

Gotta say...I don't think that's^^^ too appealing.

I would love to see a 4/90 but expect it will be closer to this number.  4/100 would be the sweet spot I think with some of that being by incentives.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mrhonline said:

Is anyone else as impressed with Sarah Spencer as I am?  I think she might be the best the AJC has had since Sekou.

Sekou had more insight but she is definitely on the pulse of the team. I’m curious to see how she does post pandemic when she can truly interact and do more face to face. 

• Like 1

It's the last day. Seems like this one will go into 2021 FA like Bogi. The difference is, there isn't a big demand for what JC does. That said, we will see what's out there. Could JC be traded before the deadline is a real question as well. One that I doubt will happen. Today is the day. 

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's the last day. Seems like this one will go into 2021 FA like Bogi. The difference is, there isn't a big demand for what JC does. That said, we will see what's out there. Could JC be traded before the deadline is a real question as well. One that I doubt will happen. Today is the day. 

What are you trading JC for? Even though you don't value him what you can get back for JC and Snell on the market isn't as good as JC.

If you know of a player in that salary range let me know. No way the Hawks are trading him with that low salary.

With all the extensions done this off season, the 2021 free agent class is a shell of its former self. Collins will be a top five player in that market now. Probably the most sought after big. 25 million a season is probably the low figure he will be looking at. He knows it, his agent knows it, and Schlenk knows it. The question comes down to Collins being willing to take a small haircut for the Hawks.

I don't like that its taking so long and see this as potentially the first black eye in what has been a outstanding off season.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think I agree with all this.  The folks with a low opinion of Collins are (purposely) ignoring outside factors.  Yes, he's not without flaws but let's never forget "all it takes is one".

All it takes is one team that likes him or one team that's desperate and his price can easily go to the $20mil's.  It's not even hard to imagine that happening.

Shiiiiii, I know the Knicks appear to be under mature management but they're still under the same owner who's forced them into a lotta dumb overpays.

Sometimes we gotta look up from the spreadsheet that spits out what a "reasonable" deal would be.  There are factors at play other than RAPTOR, VORP, WARP, CRAP and whatever other acronym that's out there.

A little Kings revenge, Hornets adding one more high priced player to their treadmill, OKC can sign three Collins next season as it stands, Not to mention the Mavericks looking for a power forward to play with Luka and KP.

I think Collins gets paid one way or the other.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

I think we are good no matter what.

No details have emerged about the negotiations or the numbers/gap between the two sides. I think the Hawks want people to believe we are low-balling him and not willing to overpay. That way when he becomes a RFA next summer, teams will offer a competitive deal that we could easily match versus a serious overpay that we would hesitate on.

Im sure there is a number in their mind that they refuse to come off of before the season. And with a better idea of his impact on this roster in the playoffs, they can either stick to it or go to a higher end number that they are prepared to match.

Either way, all is not lost if he doesn't extend. There are pros for both sides in that scenario so long as the front office plays their cards right,

• Like 4

The teams in play for next seasons free agent crop.

Knicks, Spurs, OKC, Bulls, Cavs, Raptors, Magic, Mavericks, and Hornets. A lot of this takes renouncing players. Examples DeRozan, Aldridge, THJ, Drummond, Lowry, Founier etc...

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 1