• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hornets "at" Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I don't think he is either.   I truly believe that what we saw last game, is him trying to play the way the coach / coaches want him to play.  

Those coaches need to understand though, that Trae is the offensive scoring engine of the team.  And if they're simply asking him to distribute the ball to to others, while not asking others to get the ball to him in the right spots to score, we're still have times in which we will struggle on offense.

It's time to trust the coach.  Nothing significant is going to happen in one game but Trae does need to learn to play the team game otherwise all the additions in the world won't matter. 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

It's time to trust the coach.  Nothing significant is going to happen in one game but Trae does need to learn to play the team game otherwise all the additions in the world won't matter. 

This^^^^^^^^^

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

Is LP the coach to trust though?  Or do you just trust him, because he's the coach, and that's what a player should do . . . listen to the coach at all times?

See?  I understand what Trae is going through.  

Not saying that I'm "Trae Young" at my facility, but a lot of times, ideas sit idle in my department, until I make that push to do it or at least get the ball rolling.  So in that aspect, I'm the "point guard" in my group, from a project management standpoint.

If I follow what my "coach" tells me all of the time, we may not be successful.  So I take it upon myself to make decisions ( aka plays ) that will make us most successful, even if I'm taking on a bulk of the work or decision making.  I'm a team player, but I'm not going to lose the game if my "teammates" are dropping the ball or not doing what they supposed to do.  If that means that my "team" watches me do the bulk of the work, so be it.  I'm more in control and I know that we'll win more times than not, if I'm making the big decisions.

LOL . . so I feel Trae.  If people want to be more involved, or of the coach wants more people involved . . cool.   Let's see what they can do.   Just don't whine and cry when Trae scores 15 points on 5 - 12 FG, and the team loses because other guys can't make the big shots, or even get to the FT line to stop runs.

Let's see the scaled back Trae, and see if that amounts to more winning.

Or let's see how his teammates react when LP calls for one of them to take the game winner.

Stars turn into superstars for a reason.   Who is going to teach Trae to be Trae Chitwood?

Also . . to be "the man", you gotta "beat the man".

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Is LP the coach to trust though?  Or do you just trust him, because he's the coach, and that's what a player should do . . . listen to the coach at all times?

See?  I understand what Trae is going through.  

Not saying that I'm "Trae Young" at my facility, but a lot of times, ideas sit idle in my department, until I make that push to do it or at least get the ball rolling.  So in that aspect, I'm the "point guard" in my group, from a project management standpoint.

If I follow what my "coach" tells me all of the time, we may not be successful.  So I take it upon myself to make decisions ( aka plays ) that will make us most successful, even if I'm taking on a bulk of the work or decision making.  I'm a team player, but I'm not going to lose the game if my "teammates" are dropping the ball or not doing what they supposed to do.  If that means that my "team" watches me do the bulk of the work, so be it.  I'm more in control and I know that we'll win more times than not, if I'm making the big decisions.

LOL . . so I feel Trae.  If people want to be more involved, or of the coach wants more people involved . . cool.   Let's see what they can do.   Just don't whine and cry when Trae scores 15 points on 5 - 12 FG, and the team loses because other guys can't make the big shots, or even get to the FT line to stop runs.

Let's see the scaled back Trae, and see if that amounts to more winning.

Or let's see how his teammates react when LP calls for one of them to take the game winner.

Stars turn into superstars for a reason.   Who is going to teach Trae to be Trae Chitwood?

It never cease to amaze me what people see.  Trae has been absolutely atrocious in 4th quarters of games this year but yet posters see him as the only player contributing to winning games.  The last 3 games, Trae has shot 37% from the field on 46 shots and 21% from 3, averaging 9 assist and 7 turnovers in that stretch.  His +/- has been -5 while John has been + 6 during that same stretch.  So why the bias?

• Premium Member

As bad as this game was, Hawks still had a chance to win. We were up 86-85 with 5:22 to go.

With 5:22 minutes left, Hawks went scoreless until 2:32, until a driving layup by Trae.

These were our shot attempts in that 3 minute span, all missed 3 point attempts by Hunter, Hunter, Huerter, Goodwin....then we couldn't make a stop. Charlotte scored 7 points (no 3s taken) in that 3 minute stretch to take the lead...Game Over for Hawks.

We needed to drive the ball to get better shot attempts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

They played last night. We are on 2 days rest. If we lose tonight....

Then our core 6 stinks..................................

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Some unknown player will probably have a career night..smh

I'm interested in seeing the defensive adjustment on Gordon Hayward, he had 44 points...and they came on a myriad of shot attempts, we had no answer for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

......then we should just blow it up and rebuild :laugh1:

What?  Again?  

Seriously, Hawks desperately need for their bench to get well.  No excuses tonight.  We know how they play and who does what.  Atlanta is rested.  Hornets are not.  Hawks win on the road better than at home.  

😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm interested in seeing the defensive adjustment on Gordon Hayward, he had 44 points...and they came on a myriad of shot attempts, we had no answer for him.

Hes actually healthy and playing well...Meanwhile our FA's are injured  or struggling of course..Only in Atlanta..

• Haha 3

Just now, terrell said:

Hes actually healthy and playing well...Meanwhile our FA's are injured  or struggling of course..Only in Atlanta..

Not only are our FA"s out injured, that question about that aroma is from our starters!

:cry:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

What?  Again?  

Seriously, Hawks desperately need for their bench to get well.  No excuses tonight.  We know how they play and who does what.  Atlanta is rested.  Hornets are not.  Hawks win on the road better than at home.  

😃

Yes, the bench needs to get and stay healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

It never cease to amaze me what people see.  Trae has been absolutely atrocious in 4th quarters of games this year but yet posters see him as the only player contributing to winning games.  The last 3 games, Trae has shot 37% from the field on 46 shots and 21% from 3, averaging 9 assist and 7 turnovers in that stretch.  His +/- has been -5 while John has been + 6 during that same stretch.  So why the bias?

Why the bias?  Because I'm not judging Trae off of a 3 game sample.  I'm judging him off of a 2+ year sample.  And when you talk about the 4th quarters of these past 3 games, John Collins, despite his good numbers, has a total of 4 points.  Now, is that due to Trae not getting him the ball?  Is it due to John not being aggressive enough to demand the ball in the right spots?  Is it due to LP opting to go with Capela?   Or is it due to LP playing Collins at the 5 instead of the 4?  I don't know.  All I know is that he only has 4 points total in the 4th quarter in the past 3 games.

There is no question that Trae has played like crap these past 3 games. No one will deny that.  The problem, is who is going to step up and make game winning plays, when your star player plays like crap?  When you look at the real successful teams, they have multiple people who can step up and "be the man" in spurts, in order for the team to win.  I think Collins can do it. But not if you're not running set plays for him to maximize his talents.  And not if he's not hustling all out to get offensive rebounds.

This offense is almost solely built around Trae's ability to score the basketball at a high volume, and distribute the basketball at a high volume.  Because of that, Trae's turnovers are going to be high.  It can't be 6 - 8 turnovers high, but 4 turnovers a game from Trae is about what I expect from a high usage offensive player.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As bad as this game was, Hawks still had a chance to win. We were up 86-85 with 5:22 to go.

With 5:22 minutes left, Hawks went scoreless until 2:32, until a driving layup by Trae.

These were our shot attempts in that 3 minute span, all missed 3 point attempts by Hunter, Hunter, Huerter, Goodwin....then we couldn't make a stop. Charlotte scored 7 points (no 3s taken) in that 3 minute stretch to take the lead...Game Over for Hawks.

We needed to drive the ball to get better shot attempts.

Yep.  And who normally is the guy who drives the ball or scores in the 4th quarter?  Also, we couldn't get stops, partially, because Capela was out of the game.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And when you talk about the 4th quarters of these past 3 games, John Collins, despite his good numbers, has a total of 4 points.  Now, is that due to Trae not getting him the ball?  Is it due to John not being aggressive enough to demand the ball in the right spots?  Is it due to LP opting to go with Capela?   Or is it due to LP playing Collins at the 5 instead of the 4?  I don't know.  All I know is that he only has 4 points total in the 4th quarter in the past 3 games.

I think this is exactly what Collins is complaining about right???

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There is no question that Trae has played like crap these past 3 games. No one will deny that.  The problem, is who is going to step up and make game winning plays, when your star player plays like crap?  When you look at the real successful teams, they have multiple people who can step up and "be the man" in spurts, in order for the team to win. 

I'm assuming you do know that there were several players who brought the Hawks back against the Hornets with Trae on the bench.  Trae has a +/- of -16 and was killing the team.  If Trae was out for that game, the Hawks probably would have won.  So I'm not sure what your argument is.

• Like 1

My count may be off but think we brought in eight new bodies counting back to CC. Five have and are missing games because of injuries and CC has to be watched careful and did miss a couple himself. The woes are coming from more than one or two healthy players and a coach with a dire need of some Zen. It has all added up though. Fielding a heathy rotation will help tremendously I think/hope. 

• Like 1