FYI: Fox Sports South no longer: Local TV rights holder gets new name

HawkItus

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Am I the only person left who watches the games on cable tv?

I think it's more about the future of TV.  The days of forcing people to pay for channels they don't watch is coming to an end. Youtube TV was great for $50 and it had local sports. Unlimited cloud DVR and watch anywhere on any device...  They're slowly turning into what cable providers are though with price hikes and channel disputes...

When providers start selling their channels direct to consumer (like Sinclair is rumored to be working on), even the streaming TV providers are going to go away I think.

This could have been the model for cable TV, but corporate greed and all that I suppose...

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Am I the only person left who watches the games on cable tv?

The truth is that YoutubeTV, Hulu live sports, sling, At&tTv are all just cable tv.  Only difference is they are delivered over the internet vs a dedicated tv line.  Even that difference is pretty blurry.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

The truth is that YoutubeTV, Hulu live sports, sling, At&tTv are all just cable tv.  Only difference is they are delivered over the internet vs a dedicated tv line.  Even that difference is pretty blurry.  

That's true...in terms of service they are mostly the same.  There is another distinction that's pretty big.  With streaming providers, there's no equipment.  No dish mounted to your home, no box with a remote control, and it's not bound to just your residence.  You can stream live TV anywhere you have a browser and a network connection.  That that's a big deal.  For me it was that and the fact that YTTV was only $50 with an unlimited cloud DVR.

The big revolution, and when the line will be clearly drawn, is going to happen when all of these providers sell direct to consumer.  That's when bundle providers (cable or streaming) are going to have a tough sell.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Wretch said:

That's true...in terms of service they are mostly the same.  There is another distinction that's pretty big.  With streaming providers, there's no equipment.  No dish mounted to your home, no box with a remote control, and it's not bound to just your residence.  You can stream live TV anywhere you have a browser and a network connection.  That that's a big deal.  For me it was that and the fact that YTTV was only $50 with an unlimited cloud DVR.

The big revolution, and when the line will be clearly drawn, is going to happen when all of these providers sell direct to consumer.  That's when bundle providers (cable or streaming) are going to have a tough sell.

Very true but if you're going to watch on TV then you do have a box (roku, firestick) and remote and i'm pretty sure now you can watch cable tv online in other places too with xfinity apps.   So they are becoming more like each other. 

As you mentioned to me the big issue is that streaming is now $80/month which is basically the price of basic cable.  

The biggest difference for me is being able to cancel, start, stop the service on a whim, no rented equipment, calls to beg and all that crap.   

I just don't understand why there isn't a truly a la cart tv service (i was hopeing youtubetv would become that) where i pick channels i want and pay only for those but i guess the model depends on serving the less popular channels.  

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Very true but if you're going to watch on TV then you do have a box (roku, firestick) and remote and i'm pretty sure now you can watch cable tv online in other places too with xfinity apps.   So they are becoming more like each other. 

As you mentioned to me the big issue is that streaming is now $80/month which is basically the price of basic cable.  

The biggest difference for me is being able to cancel, start, stop the service on a whim, no rented equipment, calls to beg and all that crap.   

I just don't understand why there isn't a truly a la cart tv service (i was hopeing youtubetv would become that) where i pick channels i want and pay only for those but i guess the model depends on serving the less popular channels.  

I was really happy with YouTube TV until the Sinclair/RSN fiasco.  I'm still ok with the $15 price hike.  I'm ashamed to tell ya'll what I was paying for Uverse TV for 2 years lol That and AT&T customer service is so unfathomably bad.  I will *NEVER* willingly subscribe to anything they offer.  They're lucky I live out in the woods and they are the only ISP.  We miraculously got fiber out here a few years ago, otherwise I might have just moved simply because of their terrible service (and bad customer service).

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Wretch said:

I was really happy with YouTube TV until the Sinclair/RSN fiasco.  I'm still ok with the $15 price hike.  I'm ashamed to tell ya'll what I was paying for Uverse TV for 2 years lol That and AT&T customer service is so unfathomably bad.  I will *NEVER* willingly subscribe to anything they offer.  They're lucky I live out in the woods and they are the only ISP.  We miraculously got fiber out here a few years ago, otherwise I might have just moved simply because of their terrible service (and bad customer service).

Yeah.  I felt the same about xfinity.   I was lucky to get Google Fiber internet a couple years ago.   I've used pretty much every streaming TV service at one point and youtubeTV is so much better than all of them.   

• Premium Member

I used EpressVPN to get the $18 steal deal on LP but  I had zero luck getting LP to stream Hawks games with ExpressVPN.  Very odd.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

https://thestreamable.com/news/sinclair-wont-bring-rebranded-fox-sports-rsns-direct-to-consumer-until-2022

So the 'Bally Sports' rebranding is happening 3/31 in advance of the baseball season but an app to watch the FOXSSE (or whatever it will be called) without a cable or atttv subscribtion won't be until 2022.   So that sucks. 

Sounds like they aren't interested in getting back on the other streaming channels despite losing a boatload of money.

So it's AT&T TV for me for a while i guess.    You would think the teams would lose money by not having the viewership but i guess their haul is locked in.  Not sure how that works.  

• Confused 1

Loved YTTV until they started raising prices. Losing FSSE was final straw, so I jumped to ATTTV just for Hawks and Braves. When Bally goes direct, I’ll be dropping ATTTV like it’s hawt 🔥 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

New year.  Same problem.  At&t (now DIRECTTV Stream) dumped the option to add regional sports to any package.  Now you have to get the $85 package to get regional sports.  I just don't get why the NBA and its broadcast partners make if so hard on local market fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NineOhTheRino said:

New year.  Same problem.  At&t (now DIRECTTV Stream) dumped the option to add regional sports to any package.  Now you have to get the $85 package to get regional sports.  I just don't get why the NBA and its broadcast partners make if so hard on local market fans.

Yep, bit the bullet and dropped YTTV and ante’d up the 85 bux for DirectTV Stream a few weeks ago 🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yep, bit the bullet and dropped YTTV and ante’d up the 85 bux for DirectTV Stream a few weeks ago 🤬

Yep.  I had to do that last season to watch the Hawks.  $85.00 per month to watch.  Ugh.

🕵️‍♂️

• Sad 3