• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks eyeing Kenny smith and chauncey

Spud2nique

Nate McMillion will end this season 20th all-time in coaching wins, 5-1 since taking over, turned the Hawks into best 4th-quarter team in the NBA overnight. Kenny Smith??? Chauncey Billups??? WTF anyone even discussing anything other than locking Nate in for 3 years? GTSOH 🙌

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to believe Nate is the odds on favorite IF he wants it. Since he had to be talked into taking over by the guy who got fired probably means he's no lock to wanting to hang around after the season ends.

Billups is a very interesting back up option imo. A first time coach isn't a deal breaker for me. Everyone has to get started sometime. And I feel like all the great vet coaches are either already coaching or retired, not fired and looking for work.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, hazer said:

Nate McMillion will end this season 20th all-time in coaching wins, 5-1 since taking over, turned the Hawks into best 4th-quarter team in the NBA overnight. Kenny Smith??? Chauncey Billups??? WTF anyone even discussing anything other than locking Nate in for 3 years? GTSOH 🙌

Plus he’s from the southeast. Being a Carolinian who played college ball at UNC in the 80s, his NBA “home team” would’ve been the Hawks (went pro before Charlotte had a team). So he’s not some stranger in a strange land. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

I have to believe Nate is the odds on favorite IF he wants it. Since he had to be talked into taking over by the guy who got fired probably means he's no lock to wanting to hang around after the season ends.

Billups is a very interesting back up option imo. A first time coach isn't a deal breaker for me. Everyone has to get started sometime. And I feel like all the great vet coaches are either already coaching or retired, not fired and looking for work.

I think his hesitation was because he didn't want Lloyd to think that he was secretly gunning for this position.  If you saw his reaction when Snell's shot went in last night, there would be no doubt he would take this job if it is offered.

5-1 right now under him and a drastic change in the team's confidence level in the 4th quarter are great things.  It's a small sample size though, and I hope things don't end up evening out as the sample gets larger.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think his hesitation was because he didn't want Lloyd to think that he was secretly gunning for this position.  If you saw his reaction when Snell's shot went in last night, there would be no doubt he would take this job if it is offered.

5-1 right now under him and a drastic change in the team's confidence level in the 4th quarter are great things.  It's a small sample size though, and I hope things don't end up evening out as the sample gets larger.  

100% that was about public messaging.  As long as he wasn't viewed as stabbing LP in the back, he wasn't going to hesitate.  So he let it be publicly known he supported LP and was thinking about the job because he didn't want to be disloyal.  Then LP did the next move by saying publicly that he supported Nate taking the head coach role and that was that.  I don't see that carrying over to this summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hazer said:

Plus he’s from the southeast. Being a Carolinian who played college ball at UNC in the 80s, his NBA “home team” would’ve been the Hawks (went pro before Charlotte had a team). So he’s not some stranger in a strange land. 

Correction: NC State 🐺 

• Like 1

Not that it matters, but I'm of the opinion that Nate is the best coach for the job until he proves he isn't. He's surely the most successful coach that is currently being considered for the job.  If he does as well in the 2nd half as I suspect he will, it's a wrap imo.  He'll be the coach for the foreseeable future.  And, imo, that's a good thing.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Can't help but believe that McM is the beneficiary of a lot of warm fuzzies today that he wouldn't be getting if not for Trae having the presence of mind last night to pass to Snell instead of the other options, and Snell having the presence of mind to move his feet to put himself in position to receive that pass.

And. Oh yeah. Even then. Snell still had to drain it. And he did.

Can't help but believe that some sobriety remains wise, and contentedness with the head coaching position tenuous until this team (a) gets into the playoffs, and (b) performs well once there.

Both. Not one.

Having said that, I agree and I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise with a straight face...

not that there's anything wrong with gay faces smiley-4.gif&ehk=Ccf0B6O7kZCOYkQdYScUlw3  ... f7j7bcsn9z811.jpg ...

that it's not McM's to lose.

But "lose" remains a very plausible if not likely outcome with 35 games to be played yet to even get "a" satisfied.

26 minutes ago, sturt said:

Can't help but believe that McM is the beneficiary of a lot of warm fuzzies today that he wouldn't be getting if not for Trae having the presence of mind last night to pass to Snell instead of the other options, and Snell having the presence of mind to move his feet to put himself in position to receive that pass.

And. Oh yeah. Even then. Snell still had to drain it. And he did.

Can't help but believe that some sobriety remains wise, and contentedness with the head coaching position tenuous until this team (a) gets into the playoffs, and (b) performs well once there.

Both. Not one.

Having said that, I agree and I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise with a straight face...

not that there's anything wrong with gay faces smiley-4.gif&ehk=Ccf0B6O7kZCOYkQdYScUlw3  ... f7j7bcsn9z811.jpg ...

that it's not McM's to lose.

But "lose" remains a very plausible if not likely outcome with 35 games to be played yet to even get "a" satisfied.

I would agree in a sense, but we are starting to see a trend forming.  This team was a terrible fourth quarter team prior to the past few games.  Now, three games in a row they have dominated in the fourth quarter and won the game because of their fourth quarter play.  

• Like 1