• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Per Shams, the Trailblazers are interested in Coach Nate

marco102

https://theathletic.com/2567482/2021/05/05/inside-early-nba-hot-seat-situations-five-coaches-who-need-to-finish-strong-from-the-bucks-to-the-wizards/

Among the potential coaching candidates for the Trail Blazers, sources say: Lakers assistant Jason Kidd, Hawks interim coach Nate McMillan, 76ers assistant Dave Joerger, Clippers assistant Chauncey Billups and Spurs vice president of basketball operations Brent Barry.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Billups would be a good coach too.

Based on what?  Same question on Barry, honestly.

I hate that Vinny del Negro never got another chance.  I think he did a good job when given the chance.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I hate that Vinny del Negro never got another chance.  I think he did a good job when given the chance.

He's really well respected around the league by players and coaches, and also has some championship pedigree.

5 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

He's really well respected around the league by players and coaches, and also has some championship pedigree.

That doesn't make one a good coach tho.

Every time a job opens on the bench or front office, all you hear is folks politicking for him to be given these jobs.  I just find it odd.

To your point, it speaks to his rep around the league but it seems insulting when you have other guys doing the grunt work to build their resume but get no sniffs.  Ewing (not anymore obv), Darvin Ham, Woodson (why'd he have to go to college?), and others are who I'm thinking of.

What does Billups have over them other than he was a talking head on BSPN recently?

In case it's not clear, I'm not arguing with you.  Just shaking my fist at clouds (again).

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No facts just hunches here. He's been with Pop for a long time and comes across as very knowledgeable and thoughtful. 

• Like 1

Billups seems like he would be a good coach because I have a tendency to believe PGs make good coaches.  Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Avery Johnson, etc.  The PG has to implement.  They have to control the ball, tempo, and strategy more as a player.  That translates easier to coaching.  

43 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They better pay Nate whatever he needs to stay here. It is a literal night and day difference in half a season with him at the helm. Imagine what an actually healthy Hawks team could do under him...

I'm expecting a 55-60 win year next year under Nate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I guess management in Portland is all different now than when Nate was there but would he really want to go back?

Management is different but most of the fans still appreciate Nate a lot in the Portland area (he was the one that help clean up the JailBrazers) and around Seattle, he is still well loved up there (even Seattle gets another team, he will be at least in the running for their coach). 

I think Nate might stay but I think that Pacific Northwest connect is way too strong right now for him not to return there.

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Billups seems like he would be a good coach because I have a tendency to believe PGs make good coaches.  Doc Rivers, Ty Lue, Avery Johnson, etc.  The PG has to implement.  They have to control the ball, tempo, and strategy more as a player.  That translates easier to coaching.  

Scott Skiles, Maurice Cheeks, Larry Drew, Sidney Lowe, Jeff Hornacek, Magic Johnson, Scott Brooks, Jason Kidd ... do I need to go on?

Nah, Nate is gonna be Mr. Hawk moving forward. Having said that I do like Brent Barry as @aali34 mentioned but more of a front office role than coach. 

We gotta keep Nate though, I’m not a big believer in these rumor mill per him and per her stuff. I think Nate stays. 

Also, is GP coming or not? Might be fun having him alongside Nate for a lil spice in us.

• Like 1