• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Coop's jumper needs more work than Jalen's imo

U can't be doin flashy dribbling then pull up for an airball multiple times a game lmaoo

not disagreeing, but let's be real.....Trae did the same thing when he started in summer league lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'm sure Mays is not too thrilled to be out there atm. Basically had like one month off since the end of the season. 

u said that like homie was actually playing lol he should be well rested

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The coaches will get that out of his game.  In the NBA, you need to be decisive with what you're doing.  If you're gonna shoot . . shoot the damn ball.  If you're going to play with it, you better convert the play afterwards.

EXACTLY

When he was wide open I saw how hesitant he was

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Cwell said:

u said that like homie was actually playing lol he should be well rested

I get that. I'm not implying he isn't physically fit to play, but after 7 months of basically travelling with the team and having little to no time off in the shortened pandemic season with hectic scheduling and protocols, I'm pretty sure if it was up to him he wouldn't be playing in scrimmages having to prove himself playing alongside a bunch of g-leaguers and rooks. Of course, tough shit, but if you read his body language he's definitely not thrilled. 

• Premium Member

Cooper's going to be a victim of too-high expectations, if he isn't already.

He flashes, certainly. But the turnovers, the inability to absorb contact, the getting his ankles broken on defense... he was playing in his first summer league game, and it showed.

But it's just that, his first SL game. So no worries. I remember a #5 pick who didn't exactly kill it in his first time under our microscope.

• Like 2

The Hawks didn't draft Cooper to shoot the ball. They drafted him to be the playmaker the Hawks NEED in addition to Trae Young.  It's like stealing a superstar without trading for one. He has the potential for that kind of impact by distributing the ball.  Heck, if Ben Simmons can get a max contract and is nowhere near the playmaker Coop is, there is no problem.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The Hawks didn't draft Cooper to shoot the ball. They drafted him to be the playmaker the Hawks NEED in addition to Trae Young.  It's like stealing a superstar without trading for one. He has the potential for that kind of impact by distributing the ball.  Heck, if Ben Simmons can get a max contract and is nowhere near the playmaker Coop is, there is no problem.

Ben Simmons is 6'10, a playmaker AND a great defender

What kinda comparison is this lmaoo

• Like 3

I watched the game, and I was really impressed with Cooper and Johnson. Johnson is always active on offense around the rim, and is really underrated as a passer out of the post. I'd like to see him improve that jumper though and become a better screen setter. We barely got to see him in any pick and roll situations in this game. I'd also like for him to attack his mismatches better because there were a couple of possessions in the game where he switched on to a smaller defender, and that defender some how made him to take a more difficult shot than necessary.

Cooper's best ability right now is that he can get by his defender at ease while also having the ability to make any pass as well. I think he needs to do a better job at his decision making though, because there were a couple of possessions where he tried to force passes that weren't there and other possessions where he could've looked for his shot a little bit. I definitely agree that his jumper needs to get better because that will truly unlock his entire game. He was "OK" on defense, in the sense that he made the effort to try and stay in front of his man. As long as there's effort, we have something to work with.

Looking forward to Game 2 on Tuesday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Ben Simmons is 6'10, a playmaker AND a great defender

What kinda comparison is this lmaoo

6'10" and afraid to DUNK the ball. You ARE Bonkers.   One team CAN'T WAIT to trade their so called playmaker... One team can't wait to PLAY their playmaker.  Guess which team is which?

Edited by Hawkmoor

59 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Trae was just off. Coop REALLY has an issue with his shooting mechanics. Trae never did

I don't like his shooting mechanics at all either so I agree there. It looks unnatural as hell

• Like 1