• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Media Hawks Disrespect Thread

sturt

So they've got us for the fourth seed behind the Nets, Bucks, and Heat.  I guess I just don't see the Heat definitively being a better bet than the Hawks.  We'll see ...

5 hours ago, sturt said:

For future reference...

2021-0809.png

This seems to indicate the Hawks will be the fourth seed in the East.  I have a problem with Miami being ahead of us, but I can see a realistic way the Hawks being the fourth seed with Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia ahead of the Hawks. 

My personal belief is the Hawks will be a top three seed next season.  I don't have a problem with CBS thinking we are the fourth best team in the East. 

I know I'm a homer, but in What World after that playoff performance is Trae Young not a top 15 player?  Well this hater in the Athletic has Jason Tatum ahead of him.  I get it, Taytum can score and at times not very efficiently, but he doesn't make his teammates better.  This guy, Seth Partnow, is a known Trae hater and admits as much. 

https://theathletic.com/2758168/2021/08/11/nba-player-tiers-russell-westbrook-ben-simmons-zion-williamson-among-the-leagues-greats-but-not-quite-elite/

Tier 3A: Players 20-23:

PLAYER TEAM TIER LAST YEAR BORD$ EPM WINS RAPM RANK
PHX
3A
3A
$35.0
MIL
3A
3A
$34.7
ATL
3A
3B
$39.3
NOP
3A
3B
$37.5

If you’ll permit me, here’s what I wrote about Jrue Holiday when placing him in Tier 3A a year ago:

For my money, the most underrated player in the NBA. Every time I have done this or a similar exercise over the last few years, Holiday jumps out as a production monster.

After being a simply massive part of the Bucks’ title run in his first season with the franchise as well as being an absolute defensive terror in Team USA’s gold medal performance in the just-completed Olympics, Holiday doesn’t need me to sing his praises as if he is some underappreciated gem. It has become obvious for everyone to see.

Holiday holds a strong claim to being the best defensive guard in the NBA. He was just named to the All-Defensive team for the third time, First Team for the second. For the three seasons for which NBA.com has detailed information on defensive matchups, no player (minimum 5,000 total possessions) has guarded opponents with higher average usage rates. Among players with above-average offensive loads themselves, he is one of only two players who has spent more than a third of his time on “primary” scorers with 25-plus usage rates (Dillon Brooks is the other). He has averaged at least two steals/100 possessions every season of his career.

This really grinds my gears.   He is still using some metric to say Trae is the worst defensive player in the league. SMGDH

Edited by marco102

Top 10?  Ok, ok, ok, mmkay ...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-power-rankings-summer-edition-190005452.html

.. behind who?

the Heat?  Please.  Wake me up when Jimi and Kyle stop fighting over the ball.

the Mavs?  Hol' up, I thought the Hawks supporting 'cast was eons better?  Mavs got worse.  How'd they leapfrog Atlanta?  Be careful here.  Once they falter, can't be talking 'bout supporting casts as the eggscuse if you're gonna rank them higher now.  The internet never forgets.

76ers?  Do we even know what their roster is yet?  All I know is they'll be "led" by an outta shape JoeLLLL and one of the worst head coaches in league history.  I'm wrong?  Check his track record and prove me wrong.  I'll wait.

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Top 10?  Ok, ok, ok, mmkay ...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-power-rankings-summer-edition-190005452.html

.. behind who?

the Heat?  Please.  Wake me up when Jimi and Kyle stop fighting over the ball.

the Mavs?  Hol' up, I thought the Hawks supporting 'cast was eons better?  Mavs got worse.  How'd they leapfrog Atlanta?  Be careful here.  Once they falter, can't be talking 'bout supporting casts as the eggscuse if you're gonna rank them higher now.  The internet never forgets.

76ers?  Do we even know what their roster is yet?  All I know is they'll be "led" by an outta shape JoeLLLL and one of the worst head coaches in league history.  I'm wrong?  Check his track record and prove me wrong.  I'll wait.

They did this last year with the Mavs.   Said the team was great then said it was trash.   Now they have JKidd to blame it on.  He's already making the wrong kind of headlines with excerpts from Giannis' book.   The dude is right there with Mark Jackson in the overrated coach column.   

But yeah this list is garbage.   The Heat are where every Jimmy led team end up.   Good but not great.  Honeymoon is over. 

Mavs, Sixers got worse and Warriors are done as contenders unless they make a big trade.    The Sixers are broken honestly.  I'm sure they'll be decent but they are one Embiid injury away from the lottery.  

• Like 1

I don't care much about what they say, but I do in fact care about whether we get a fair shake at National TV games and what not.

If I have to sit through the Pelicans getting 3 times as many primetime games as us I'm going to jump.

Zion is great, but Im sorry, his dunks do not look that spectacular in the NBA as they did at Duke. He doesn't have the same buzz as a pro. They need to stop force feeding him to us especially since his team still sucks. 

I want double digit games on prime time 

Nope.  Hawks are only an afterthought.  What spectacular move did they make after season's end?  Oh, you say they added a second string center and a second string guard.  Oh, my.  Did they really?

In other words, they are the same old Atlanta team that lucked their way into the playoffs.  Don't expect them to do that again.  And, remember, their two draft picks weren't very high.  #20 and somewhere late in the second.  So many improved, exciting teams are in the east.  And, then, there are the Hawks.

😜

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

but I do in fact care about whether we get a fair shake at National TV games and what not.

I can tell you now, we won't - It's still ESPN so I wouldn't hold out hope, we'll get a few token games just because.

R.c3ea680a8f9962a5c13558c5ecab3602?rik=a

......by the time the regular season rolls around you'll be hearing more of these words associated with the Hawks incredible run:   'fluke, luck, injuries to other teams, fortunate' 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

After Zach Lowe went behind that stupid paywall I don’t value any other “experts” opinion on anything too tough.  Sam Mitchell is my guy too but I think he’s on that Nets wagon.  I’m sure if Brent Barry were still commentating he’d be championing our depth.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, marco102 said:

I know I'm a homer, but in What World after that playoff performance is Trae Young not a top 15 player?  Well this hater in the Athletic has Jason Tatum ahead of him.  I get it, Taytum can score and at times not very efficiently, but he doesn't make his teammates better.  This guy, Seth Partnow, is a known Trae hater and admits as much. 

https://theathletic.com/2758168/2021/08/11/nba-player-tiers-russell-westbrook-ben-simmons-zion-williamson-among-the-leagues-greats-but-not-quite-elite/

This really grinds my gears.   He is still using some metric to say Trae is the worst defensive player in the league. SMGDH

The Trae part of that article: 

--My skepticism of Trae Young has been well-established. However, at this point, it’s probably best to cut my losses, take the L and anoint him as the kind of archvillain (for fans of 29 franchises) the NBA genuinely needs.

Whether it was Nate McMillan’s coaching, the natural maturation and jelling of the Hawks’ roster, a reaction to being left out of the 2021 All-Star roster galvanizing him or most likely a combination of all three, Young started to rein in some of the excesses in his game that gave pause as to his overall effectiveness. They haven’t completely vanished, but the early-clock, zero-pass, 30-foot pull-ups have decreased in frequency.

While he still has a tendency to deactivate when off the ball, Young did show some willingness to use screens during the postseason. And speaking of the postseason, by far the biggest question prior to last season was whether his slight frame and, shall we say, foul-provocative game could stand up to the physical and competitive rigors of the playoffs. After Young led the Hawks to a blistering of the Knicks and a somewhat stunning upset of the Sixers, it’s safe to say those questions have been answered.

Whether Young can ascend into Tier 2 will depend on a number of smaller improvements. Can he continue to refine his shot selection? Will he find ways to be slightly less of a defensive liability than his 755th place ranking (of 755!) in three-year dRAPM suggests he has been? Can he become a more effective player off the ball to allow the talents around him, such as Kevin Huerter and John Collins, to shine a little more? Having learned my lesson, I’m no longer betting against him being able to do so.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

We're already seeing it on ESPN and the Athletic as both have had recent articles / opinion pieces that have left the Hawks out of the East's top teams.  You all know the narrative is going to be Nets (big 3), Bucks (defending champs), Philly with Embiid, and Heat (revamped with Lowry) as the contenders.  Even the Hornets, Celtics, and Bulls have gotten more fanfare given their FA signings than the Hawks.  

And I get it to a certain extent, the Hawks didn't do anything splashy other than resign their own.  But the further we get from the ECF, the less the talking heads are going to remember the Hawks or give them any pub.  And you know what?  Fine by me.  Predict them to be in the 6-10 range if you want.  Give this bunch another helping of disrespect.  

I don't think that talk will last long this season. I think our win/loss columns are going to change minds quickly. There will always be some hate/doubt even with us being top in the standings but it's going to be harder and harder to deny.

Hopefully they get it out there systems early or else they're going to really look foolish.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

The Trae part of that article: 

--My skepticism of Trae Young has been well-established. However, at this point, it’s probably best to cut my losses, take the L and anoint him as the kind of archvillain (for fans of 29 franchises) the NBA genuinely needs.

Whether it was Nate McMillan’s coaching, the natural maturation and jelling of the Hawks’ roster, a reaction to being left out of the 2021 All-Star roster galvanizing him or most likely a combination of all three, Young started to rein in some of the excesses in his game that gave pause as to his overall effectiveness. They haven’t completely vanished, but the early-clock, zero-pass, 30-foot pull-ups have decreased in frequency.

While he still has a tendency to deactivate when off the ball, Young did show some willingness to use screens during the postseason. And speaking of the postseason, by far the biggest question prior to last season was whether his slight frame and, shall we say, foul-provocative game could stand up to the physical and competitive rigors of the playoffs. After Young led the Hawks to a blistering of the Knicks and a somewhat stunning upset of the Sixers, it’s safe to say those questions have been answered.

Whether Young can ascend into Tier 2 will depend on a number of smaller improvements. Can he continue to refine his shot selection? Will he find ways to be slightly less of a defensive liability than his 755th place ranking (of 755!) in three-year dRAPM suggests he has been? Can he become a more effective player off the ball to allow the talents around him, such as Kevin Huerter and John Collins, to shine a little more? Having learned my lesson, I’m no longer betting against him being able to do so.

Haha. I didn't realize I copied the wrong part.  Thanks for updating @RandomFan you're the real MVP!

• Haha 1

Trae is - at worst - Tier 2C (with Kyrie, Tatum, Bam, CP3, and Middleton) and more reasonably Tier 2B (with Dame, Butler, Gobert, and PG13).  

The idea that he's behind these cats is just insane to me.  Trae is a legit top 15 player in the NBA right now.  His passing is top 2 or 3 in the NBA while his floater is probably top 5. His 3pt shooting is nothing to write home about but it's not a liability either. But more importantly, he's a floor general.  A leader. The clear ALPHA and leader of the team.  In an NBA where it takes legit STARS to lead a team to a title, Trae is that guy for Atlanta.  And that SHOULD matter in these type of analyses.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Trae is - at worst - Tier 2C (with Kyrie, Tatum, Bam, CP3, and Middleton) and more reasonably Tier 2B (with Dame, Butler, Gobert, and PG13).  

The idea that he's behind these cats is just insane to me.  Trae is a legit top 15 player in the NBA right now.  His passing is top 2 or 3 in the NBA while his floater is probably top 5. His 3pt shooting is nothing to write home about but it's not a liability either. But more importantly, he's a floor general.  A leader. The clear ALPHA and leader of the team.  In an NBA where it takes legit STARS to lead a team to a title, Trae is that guy for Atlanta.  And that SHOULD matter in these type of analyses.  

Top 5 floater?  Top 5?  "Probably"?

Sir, Traeford Young may have the best floater in the history of human competition.

And I only say "may" because I never seen them Pompeiian mfers gettin down before Vesuvius erupted.  One-a them mighta had a goat-float but the world will never know.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Top 5 floater?  Top 5?  "Probably"?

Sir, Traeford Young may have the best floater in the history of human competition.

And I only say "may" because I never seen them Pompeiian mfers gettin down before Vesuvius erupted.  One-a them mighta had a goat-float but the world will never know.

Here's the God's honest truth.....

Trae has the best floater I've seen in the NBA, but I get a little gun shy about proclaiming him (or anyone) the best because I'm legit conscious of my not really studying every other player in the league.  So I tend to couch my analysis with some wiggle room so as not to step on toes.  LOL  

But I like your analysis much better.  If you say it, I can just quote you and claim Trae to have the greatest floater of all time.  

• Like 3