• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jahlil Okafor to Hawks

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I doubt he makes the team ... 

Having had some time to digest this... I mean, really, I had us signing offense-impoverished Biyombo well ahead of signing defense-impoverished Okafor... the optimist in me, rather than arguing for what Okafor could be, is arguing instead for the hope that Schlenk truly has merely signed two experienced camp bodies (Okafor and TLC)... ie, there's a good chance that neither one actually is part of the final 15.

History says there will be, after all, some teams shedding some veteran players at the last minute in order to take chances on some less proven players.

So, barring a highly unanticipated breakout training camp performance, my better angels are whispering "patience" in my ear... that there will be other better options immediately before the season starts, and that 5th big slot will still yet go to someone for whom stronger confidence is merited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I hope he comes in and is infected by the work ethic.   He has been on some turrible teams.   Work Ethic Wise. 

I don't know about the work ethics of his previous teams, but it is a fair point that the best team he has ever played for went 30-42. He got his start with a team that went 10-72. Nate and a stacked roster coming off of a ECF run should bring out the best in him. If he truly wants to be good. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Guess signings like this is why at times I’m different than most of the board. I love  the signing because okafor potential has always been about his inside scoring ability which is something I personally feel this team need to a certain degree and though that is not common now in this era of the nba to have a low post scoring big I do think it’s still great to have at least off the bench and it’s exactly what I wanted to see Schlenk do!

I say okafor will make the team and do his part this season . He brings a different skill set the other bigs don’t have and where he lacks (defensively) the other bigs pick up at…I love teams that have great big man rotations! In 2015-2016 season I thought Danny ferry didn’t get enough credit for the outstanding big man rotation we had with horford, sap, antic, mike scott! To me that rotation was a big reason that season was so successful. 

Fast forward to today with this team that schlenk has built and what a crazy amount of depth overall at literally every position! A very good big man rotation is going to be awesome.

PFs-Collins, Gallo, Johnson, Hunter (hunter if need be)

Cs-Capela, Dieng, Okafor

*Okungwu is the one special talent that fits the modern  nba and can play at both big man spots no hesitation. I don’t feel that way about the other bigs but like I said they all bring something different to the table for the team. Okafor brings the inside scoring ability the others don’t quite  have in the low post. Set okafor up in good position and let him go! …that’s great to have off the bench.

Yeah I agree. He can get some buckets..I just dont understand why he isnt better at rebounding.  I mean the guy has a 7'5 wingspan..Id expect him to at least grab more boards..Offense has never been his problem..Its defense and rebounding....He would be an ALL NBA player(offensively) back in the 80's/ 90's based off some of his highlights for sure..He's taking Drummond to school......😀

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1