2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

This is just my opinion but Kyle Anderson is one of the more likely trade options for us.

Or Imagine if Schlenk just drafted Brandon Clarke like alot of Hawks fans wanted in 2019.  Hawks could have told Collins to pound sand after he rejected $90M instead of foolishly giving in...Smh. They're basically the same player....Collins better 3 pt shooter is all..

Edited by terrell

Danillo Gallinari: 'I'd love to remain in Atlanta for the remainder of the season'

i_51_d2_31_danilo-gallinari.png?w=190

Interviewed by Sky Sport, Danilo Gallinari said that he would love to remain with the Hawks for the remainder of the season. There were rumors about his possible trade in the past days. “I am ready to stay and I would love to remain for the remainder of the season because a change of a team is never easy, for several reasons. But anything can happen” Gallinari said.

3 hours ago  via Sportando
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member

Part of the problem with this Hawks team is there are many of them that need to be addressed. It certainly starts with the defense. It has gotten much worse from last season, with several individual players regressing. The Hawks are currently playing without a trusted perimeter defender. Huerter is currently the best available perimeter defender but even he hasn’t looked as good as he did last season — though his performance against the Clippers was encouraging. Bogdanovic’s performance hasn’t been good, and Cam Reddish’s defense has harshly declined. While I don’t necessarily agree that we’re seeing one of the worst defensive seasons in recent memory, the advanced metrics are not kind to him.

Going back to when Lloyd Pierce was coaching this team, we’re seeing similar issues from Reddish, who’s considered by many to be one of the best defenders for the Hawks. He gambles too frequently in passing lanes, and the player he’s guarding gets around him either to the basket or wide open for a jumper when those gambles fail. Oftentimes, he’s out there swiping for steals, and when it doesn’t work out, the Hawks are left in vulnerable spots.

Clint Capela was a revelation for the Hawks last season after having arguably the worst center rotation in the league in 2019-2020, but he hasn’t had nearly the kind of impact he did. I do think the criticism specifically placed on Capela has been too aggressive from a segment of the fanbase (opposing teams are shooting 5.3 percentage points worse than league average at the rim with Capela on the floor); however, his overall impact isn’t what it was. It’s clear the lack of point-of-attack pressure is the larger issue.

Offensively, the Hawks’ lack of a secondary creator is hurting them when Young is doubled. They just don’t have the creation on the wing to have great ball movement a lot of nights. The offense hasn’t been nearly as big of a sticking point as the defense. Atlanta has mostly been special on that end of the floor, but there are still areas of improvement needed to get this team back in the playoff mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

From an article on The Athletic by Shams (so maybe take with a grain of salt?):

"Collins, however, has grown increasingly frustrated over his role in Atlanta, multiple sources have told The Athletic. His shot attempts per game and usage rate have decreased in each of the past three seasons — even as the athletic, energetic Collins has improved his offensive repertoire. The 6-foot-9 big man has challenged the Hawks locker room on multiple occasions to play team basketball and commit to one another this season. Oftentimes, Collins has felt his voice go unheard."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't know which thread to put this in, but I found it interesting.  
I think I recall that most NBA games are decided by 5 points or less.  So, Trae's on/off splits for us, as a team, keep us in the win column, right?  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Wait, somebody thought we weren’t gonna make the playoffs? Haters. Nah we will adjust, I hope.

I'll be honest: unless we make a trade or somehow the team finally has a come to Jesus moment on playing defense we will NOT make the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'll be honest: unless we make a trade or somehow the team finally has a come to Jesus moment on playing defense we will NOT make the playoffs. 

I refuse to believe that and will be here waiting with an avatar bet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Wish I could tell you guys what the article says but this one is paywalled as well

Basically the same thing the Kirschner article said without all the drama about John not being happy with his role. 

That’s not just coming from the eye test, with the Hawks so often looking out-of-sync and like they’re not going full-tilt on defense. Just ask power forward John Collins, the longest-tenured player on the team.

“I’ve banged my head on the wall a couple times trying to figure it out myself,” Collins said after another night of yielding 130-plus, Friday’s 134-118 loss to the Lakers. “There’s really no excuse. For me personally, I don’t have any excuse to not show up to my job and do it the best I can, that’s what they pay me to do, that’s why I’m a professional, that’s why I’m in the National Basketball Association. So I really don’t have an answer for you, all I can say is it’s unacceptable and just got to dig down and do the things necessary to win, or this is going to be the result every night.”

• Premium Member

Don't look now but that PTL team with no Dame and no CJ just beat the BKLN Nets with KD and Kyrie playing... and it was a CLEAR Beating. 

We're not the only ones who don't do well against a team full of nobodies.

• Like 1