• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

I hope Hunter can eventually work his way back to his pre injury form. And not only that, I hope that he can stay healthy for a sustainable length of time.

The way he played pre-injury, I'd not bat an eye at trading away Cam or another core guy. But the way he looked to start this season, he looked worse than he ever did even as a rookie. Not bad, but just completely ineffective.

I want the Dre who was our second best player back. Im not getting my hopes up considering how much time he has missed in the last 11+ months

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I hope Hunter can eventually work his way back to his pre injury form. And not only that, I hope that he can stay healthy for a sustainable length of time.

The way he played pre-injury, I'd not bat an eye at trading away Cam or another core guy. But the way he looked to start this season, he looked worse than he ever did even as a rookie. Not bad, but just completely ineffective.

I want the Dre who was our second best player back. Im not getting my hopes up considering how much time he has missed in the last 11+ months

I honestly wonder if the wrist surgery has given his knee more time to recover and he'll have the burst and lift he did before.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

https://theathletic.com/3065272/2022/01/12/john-collins-on-trade-rumors-frustration-and-how-he-feels-about-the-hawks-this-is-where-i-want-to-be/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Kirschner article where he directly address the Shams article with John.  Some interesting stuff in here but mostly repeat of what we've heard before, basically:

• John is very frustrated we're losing
  • He wants a more defined role on the offense
  • He feels like he has to create something out of nothing on offense and it's tough to have to play like that
  • He emphasizes he cares only about team success
  • He says he wants to stay in Atlanta
  • Acknowledges trade rumors are fun for fans and mentions that's just normal
  • Talks about why he thinks we're struggling
    • it's because teams are coming in much more prepared and game planned versus us than the last 3 years where teams slept on us
    • Says we need to adjust our mentality
    • Mentions the east getting better this year

I think that's about it, nothing too juicy and I suppose we can take it all with a grain of salt

I've added a little context to your synopsis

Here is our conversation.

So, obviously, Shams reported there’s growing frustration from you, and he linked you to possibly being included in a deal for Ben Simmons. What would you like to say about the report and your frustration?

When you read the article and go back and look at it — sometimes, the headline of the article is a lot more intriguing than what’s actually written — what I didn’t like is he took a quote from my postgame press conference and sort of created a dialogue from it talking about my usage is down. In terms of voicing it and saying something, of course, I am frustrated. We’re not doing well. You could say he’s right, but I haven’t outwardly spoken to anyone or voiced my frustration directly to my teammates. That, I feel like, gets lost a bit in the dialogue but, of course, I’m as frustrated as anyone is on this team as we’re losing and not doing as well as we should.

I understand where you’re coming from. The quote used was when I asked you about the recurring theme of you guys not having defensive intensity in numerous games, such as the Lakers game, which is when you said what you said.

One of the things I do know that has frustrated you is your offensive role on this team, and this has bothered you for a while now even going back to when Lloyd (Pierce) was coaching. Both Lloyd and Nate (McMillan) have said they don’t call plays for you. How do you feel about where that issue stands right now? 

I don’t love that. I understand my value and my role to the team. I feel like I’ve embraced it and not complained. I’ve trudged on and done what I feel like is needed to be a professional on this team, but, again, it’s the coach’s decision and the organization’s decision. I don’t love it, but I’m trying to do my best to try to play through it. I just want to be utilized to the best of my ability to maximize production. I understand that we have a lot of guys on this team who can score. I understand that there has to be some sacrifice for us to reach our goals. I’m trying to be the best pro I can.

What I don’t necessarily understand is that the team’s offense is great. It’s not an issue as to why you all are 17-22. You guys have one of the best offenses in the league. Can you further explain what you’re looking for when you’re discussing what you are bothered by? 

My usage is lower than my rookie year. (Note: There was a time during the season when this was accurate; however, it’s the second lowest of his career.) There are things that I can’t control and I’m not trying to say anything about. I’m not complaining about this, but there are small things that are different now for myself. I’m just trying to figure out how to make my point and my emphasis felt on the court. I just don’t like to be out there running around sometimes. Sometimes, you just want to understand where you can make an impact instead of having to create it for myself. I feel like that’s where I’m at a lot of times. I’m just having to create out of nothing, and it’s hard as hell. That’s where it comes from. It’s wanting to have a safety blanket to throw over my back when I might be in trouble sometimes.

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re wanting a more-defined offensive role for yourself? 

Yes, exactly. I’m not sitting here complaining and saying I need more touches of the ball, or I need to score more points or need more shots. I’ve never complained about that. All I’ve said, specifically, if there’s a way that I feel like is beneficial for everybody — and not just myself — is for us to be used in the correct way. That’s the angle I’m taking. If I’m saying it, it’s for us. I just want to be put in the best position to succeed, and that’s it. I feel like I’ve sacrificed and have continued to sacrifice as much as I can for the team. I just want to make sure that’s clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe trea won't be so bored if they have to implement new stuff to run or spend time actually getting on same page so tmthey can actually beat a team. Shit is hilarious this whole thing,  these ppl are suppose.to be pros here and I guess type ppl we were hoping them to be, if u always have to have the right coach to motivate/talk or the right vet to get everyone together or the right little reason for whatever it is to make the team adjust for this particular season, those aren't franchise players you want, I'm not sure who it really is being this way, but to me it doesn't sound like it's jc.  I know trea isn't going anywhere but if this shit keeps going and turns out it kinda is him, we aren't winning shit with him. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hylndr11 said:

Maybe trea won't be so bored if they have to implement new stuff to run or spend time actually getting on same page so tmthey can actually beat a team. Shit is hilarious this whole thing,  these ppl are suppose.to be pros here and I guess type ppl we were hoping them to be, if u always have to have the right coach to motivate/talk or the right vet to get everyone together or the right little reason for whatever it is to make the team adjust for this particular season, those aren't franchise players you want, I'm not sure who it really is being this way, but to me it doesn't sound like it's jc.  I know trea isn't going anywhere but if this shit keeps going and turns out it kinda is him, we aren't winning shit with him. 

He can't be bored putting up the numbers he is and having the entire roster out at one point. 

They won more with Trae than any other player in Atlanta Hawks history. It is weird how you have this agenda against Trae. Guess you were one of the ones that thought he would be a bust and now you are mad he isn't because you hate to be wrong about things.

Never thought anything about any player I don't fantasize and theory craft about players and scenarios really, I just start to try and see what is really going one with whatever team after they played together , always give rookies a year or two that's it.  I hope it's not trea but I'd really like to not do the Julio or Mike Vick thing where guys are untouchable when they overall are hurting the team.  And we see that all the time on message boards.  I just think the problems with hawks is accountabity as a group at this point , coaching as much as we want to think can cure that can only fix that so much 

Edited by hylndr11

1 minute ago, hylndr11 said:

Never thought anything about any player I don't fantasize and theory craft about players and scenarios really, I just start to try and see what is really going one with whatever team after they played together , always give rookies a year or two that's it.  I hope it's not trea but I'd really like to not do the Julio or Mike Vick thing where guys are untouchable when they overall are hurting the team.  And we see that all the time on message boards.  I just think the problems with hawks is accountabity as a group at this point , coaching as much as we want to think can cure that can only do that so much 

You can't compare basketball to football. Superstars in basketball have a bigger impact than football, which generally needs more than two great players to win it all.

Does Trae need to take some heat about this start because he is the best player? Sure. Should we trade him away for someone who won't come close to how good he is? No.

That is not how basketball works.

Maybe the on court play calling will improve with Nate back. I know he likes to empower the guards but, especially with the bench unit, we are a team that settles a lot. Trae is great in that environment because he can make something out of nothing. But the other guys are not. So having more organization and definition would be great for the whole.

I know ppl think our offense isn't the problem, but the truth is that we suck in transition defense which stems from turnovers, long rebounds, or just missed shots in general. Teams also get a lot of points in short spurts against us do to momentum shifts.

We have to stay out of transition. Any improvement to the QUALITY of offensive possessions we get will have a major effect on our defense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Then how possibly could you have known who i  was talking about , amazing

Not the point - you've spelled it that way in back to back posts. So it's either intentional or not. Just asking.

• Like 1