Official Game Thread: Rockets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Has he made the playoffs yet? Oh wait, let me guess, his surrounding cast wasn’t good enough. I got news for you Soth, KAT is one of the most overrated players in the league. 

If he was as great as you all think, he would have made the playoffs or had a winning record with the Wolves. The truth is the guy is just a stat guy.

:laugh1: ya that’s not KAT. He is the guy that lumbers up and down the court and fake hustles.

KAT was the best player on the Minnesota squad that made the playoffs and it wasn't even close. Butler just gave him a reliable second scoring option and a wing player that could actually play defense. Minnesota is much better this year because D-Lo is healthy and KAT has Ant to play with him. The team has some big holes at both forward spots but at least the guys they got at forward hustle and play defense. 

KAT is more than just a stat guy. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

We need to face facts that this is the team we built and right now there ain't a lot we can change with it without taking steps backwards.   We just have to hope Bogi and Hunter and OO are back on the court before it's too late.   

We can't trade Capela until february and even then we aren't going to find a trade

We could trade Gallo but then what do we have on the bench. 

We could trade Hunter/Cam but for what that will help us now?  

There isn't anything feasible yet that will make us a better team but the good news is we have what we need.  We just need health and an attitude adjustment but we've seen this team do that before.   

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

KAT's rebounding has dropped off noticeably this year.   Some on here say his defense has improved this year.  I don't see him play enough to have an opinion on his defense.

However, I lose count of how many layups and dunks Capela and Collins give up.  I have been  a staunch Collins supporter, but he's frequently in foul trouble and he lets Capela grab all the rebounds and take most of the PNR plays from him.  Maybe Collins is too passive, but I believe when he blocks a shot or makes a dunk, it fires the crowd up more than when Capela does it.  I don't think Collins and Capela can coexist on the same team.  At this point, I'm okay trading whoever we can, if we get something worthwhile in exchange.

Bogi is always injured.  Hunter is always injured.  OO is always injured.  We need some tough guys on this team.  What good is all of these guys' potential if they are never available?  None of them are a real second option on offense.

Last year McMillan used Pierce's offense and defense, rather than trying to recreate the wheel midseason, and the players respected him, and we won.  This year, he implemented his own offense and defense, and we are pathetic.  His inflexibility on his substitutions is ridiculous.

Pardon my rambling.

KAT's stats this year:

24 PPG, 9.2 RPG on .501 FG shooting and .815 FT so @Gray Mule will have a Hawks center that can actually hit free throws. It is night and day how much better he is than Capela. 

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

We need to face facts that this is the team we built and right now there ain't a lot we can change with it without taking steps backwards.   We just have to hope Bogi and Hunter and OO are back on the court before it's too late.   

We can't trade Capela until february and even then we aren't going to find a trade

There isn't anything feasible yet that will make us a better team but the good news is we have what we need.  We just need health and an attitude adjustment but we've seen this team do that before.   

Capela can't be traded until next offseason because he signed an extension. Same reason why Brogdon on the Pacers can't be traded until next off season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Technically, this isn't the team we built.  Technically .... but I'm not giving them the injury out.  These recent efforts have been offensive.

Sprinkle in the rookies some - and that's a departure for me 'cause I didn't want to see either of them this year.  At this point, may as well see if either of them has ... something.  Energy/effort at least.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The most immediate thing I want to see is Nate to mix things up a bit.  Running the same predictable rotations and trotting out the same gameplan in the fourth quarter is not working.  The results are showing up very reliably with us falling off in the fourth.  

The Hawks are outscoring their opponents in the first, second and third quarters but have a losing record because teams adjust in the 4th and we don't.  

image.png

Is it fair to say teams downloaded us.

They know Clint can't hurt them on switches because they just hack him and they bringing in a wing to shoot to space the floor. 

Trae gets raped defensively as they put him constantly in weak side actions forcing JC, Kev, Gallo, and Clint to pick up for him. Some of the wings in these actions are Nwaba, Brown from the Nets, Tybyulle, these aren't offensive juggernauts at all.

Teams double Trae in the 4th. 

It's like clockwork 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sothron said:

KAT's stats this year:

24 PPG, 9.2 RPG on .501 FG shooting and .815 FT so @Gray Mule will have a Hawks center that can actually hit free throws. It is night and day how much better he is than Capela. 

Capela can't be traded until next offseason because he signed an extension. Same reason why Brogdon on the Pacers can't be traded until next off season.

Can anyone explain to me why Schlenk gave Capela an early extension? I mean wtf man? Did he not watch the Playoffs? Or is he content with just MAKING the playoffs? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, AHF said:

The most immediate thing I want to see is Nate to mix things up a bit.  Running the same predictable rotations and trotting out the same gameplan in the fourth quarter is not working.  The results are showing up very reliably with us falling off in the fourth.  

GfQs=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

#That'sTheRotation - get that ish outta here!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Can anyone explain to me why Schlenk gave Capela an early extension? I mean wtf man? Did he not watch the Playoffs? Or is he content with just MAKING the playoffs? 

You’d be saying the opposite had he NOT given him an extension. Can’t play Monday morning QB everyday Terrell that $hit gets old.

No front office bats .1000

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You’d be saying the opposite had he NOT given him an extension. Can’t play Monday morning QB everyday Terrell that $hit gets old.

Well that's true as everyone was cheering pretty loudly at the time.  I questioned why Capela should be the highest paid guy in the league who can't make a shot outside of 1 foot (and doesn't make the 1 footers consistently), but that was shot down as dumb.   But i do see that competent centers aren't easy to come by and we definitely needed one.   We'd be starting Dieng rn w/o CC.   Or maybe we'd be starting Collins at center which maybe isn't that bad of an idea.  We just don't have enough healthy wings.

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Or maybe we'd be starting Collins at center which maybe isn't that bad of an idea.  We just don't have enough healthy wings.

Once we do though we run:

c- JC

pf- Hunter

sf- Cam

sg- Bogi

pg- Trae

Thats what the rockets 🚀 did with Wood and putting him at center and they reeled off 8/10, now I’m not saying small ball will work, but I think it can against certain teams or at least for stretches. Our guys will have to play bigger not smaller than their size though for it to have impact.

Like Hunter has to man up and so does Cam. I’m sorry but they are always injured. Im not against dealing one either, they might end up leaving for nothing. We can’t panic but we need to look around and make smart decisions in the next 6 months for sure.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What? No the hell I wouldnt..He had 2 years left..I just dont see the point...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Doubt it.  I think he would play just fine with KD, Lebron, etc.  Not saying those guys are options but conceptually Trae could play with a number of guys.  

Durant can be used as a big. LeBron wouldn't like playing with Trae