• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

1 hour ago, JTB said:

TO ME It’s sounding like we are at about 80% chance  going to “stand pat” ….and of Im just talking from a fan perspective of course

With just two weeks  away from the deadline unless another star player is on the trade block completely out of left field, Im no longer expecting any impact moves

…. I believe Simmons is the only true target for Schlenk because he’s Schlenks Draymond type of player so clearly there’s some serious interest in Simmons within the Hawks  organization but Unless they can find Harris a home as reported then it’s not happening and finding Harris a new home is probably extremely unlikely.

I’m not complaining since we are currently winning but the trend continues with  Hawks GMS afraid to take risk .

I wouldn't say Schelnk is afraid of making any moves, he's clearly offered for Simmons and is trying to make it happen. Not wanting to take back Harris and that God awful contract doesn't equal being scared to take a risk. 

He's made shrewd business trades since coming here and he'll continue to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

If Travis could wave a magic wand and get a fair deal I think his target list would be something like Jalen Brown, Simmons or KAT. I just don't see them trading Collins for anything less than a true impact player. 

Edit: yes, this is from over two  years of talks with my source. That is the level of talent that Travis would be comfortable with moving Collins for in the much talked about consolidation trade.  They aren't having a one man fire sale in Atlanta to trade Collins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@sturt this you on realgm?

Danilo Gallinari and 2022 Conditional Charlotte Hornets First Round Draft Pick for Derrick Favors and Kenrich Williams
-Hawks after missing out on something bigger add two useful veteran pieces and save a ton of money altogether.
-OKC does OKC things. (Gallinari is only partially guaranteed next season)

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2160393

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Danilo Gallinari and 2022 Conditional Charlotte Hornets First Round Draft Pick for Derrick Favors and Kenrich Williams
-Hawks after missing out on something bigger add two useful veteran pieces and save a ton of money altogether.

Such a ridiculously terrible deal. Massive overpay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Any updates or is it radio silence til closer to the deadline?  Do think any Simmons deal will only happen at the deadline?  

I have no updates. This is wacky season. Just about everything that's real came out already and the new stuff will come out the week of the trade deadline. Right now you have GMs using their clout to lower values of prospects they are targeting or want. This happens every year around this time. 

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Nope. Nope. Nope.

But this is.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=96342003#p96342003

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You don't give up the Charlotte 1st or Atlanta 1st for either of these trades.  You use that pick similar to the Capela trade - youngish player with long term contract to grow with the team and if you are combining the pick with Gallo you definitely need a singular better player.

Piggybacking on this and we've talked about it before...picks in different slots have different values to teams.

Picks in the top 5 come with a much higher price tag and so teams need to feel confident they got a winner before picking that high.

As you proceed through the first round, you still have a higher cost output but less confidence in the player's ability to live up to the rookie contract. These players are considered projects but their cost is still high enough to impact team finances. Once you hit about pick 20, you are getting to the point the pick is equal to the vet minimum. Investing in a rookie with potential isn't going to replace a vet with immediate bench impact.

So pick 25 has as much or more value in a trade scenario as say pick 18.  I know that's contrary to public opinion but an NBA GM would consider both players to be capable of getting equal playing time....they are very similar talent wise. An argument can be made that 18 or 25 was picked based on need vs talent and 25 could easily end up a better player but would have been a poor fit with team X. However, the salary difference between 18 and 25 is $733,000 year one and $2.8 million over the length of the contract.  Teams usually consider players taken after 15 as all a shot in the dark, hoping your scouting is good. Unless they are targeting a specific player, they're less likely to feel good about taking a chance on a draft pick at $2.9 million / year than $1.6 million. Especially if they are a top 15 team and hoping to contend. They want that extra money for free agents.

The Charlotte pick can be seen as very valuable if it conveys this year because it will be between 20 and 30. A great pick for a contending team to fill out their roster or for a rebuilding team to take a flyer on a high risk, high reward guy (developmental athlete). 

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

either of these trades

(Not sure if by "either" that's in reference to the one proposed over on the RealGM OKC forum by yours truly (?). Probably not, but maybe. Just in case and to be clear, that one is a pick flip... there's no "giving up" a pick.)

15 minutes ago, sturt said:

(Not sure if by "either" that's in reference to the one proposed over on the RealGM OKC forum by yours truly (?). Probably not, but maybe. Just in case and to be clear, that one is a pick flip... there's no "giving up" a pick.)

How do you get around not aggregating Knox in the deal?  If you do separate deals, the player for player still has to work.  And when I put Knox-Favors into the ole Trade Machine, it doesn't work.  You can switch it and do Knox for Williams and that works but then the Dieng/TLC for Favors doesn't work.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I feel like you can get Kenrich aka Shaggy for a bag of used balls.  Shouldn't take an actual asset.

In a year when there were more of his kind on the market, yes. Think OKC is just in the fortunate spot where there's not a lot of supply, but there's plenty of demand... which will drive up the price, assuming my last remaining brain cells from ECON 201 are still viable and I'm not confusing the law of supply and demand.

The clincher for Kenrich is his salary ($2m).

And that you get him at that price not just for this year but next, too.

And that he's on an upward trajectory by most accounts, plausibly capable of developing to be a starter-level talent.

I have no doubt that the SLC beat reporter was correct last week when he reported OKC is expecting to get a straight-up 1st rounder.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

when I put Knox-Favors into the ole Trade Machine, it doesn't work

I found the same thing. Not sure. But this is the law of the land according to the prophet Larry Coon...

2022-01-26_09-49-06.png

Knox can be traded for an asset up to $10.3m if I'm recalling my calculator correctly.

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

In a year when there were more of his kind on the market, yes. Think OKC is just in the fortunate spot where there's not a lot of supply, but there's plenty of demand... which will drive up the price, assuming my last remaining brain cells from ECON 201 are still viable and I'm not confusing the law of supply and demand.

The clincher for Kenrich is his salary ($2m).

And that you get him at that price not just for this year but next, too.

And that he's on an upward trajectory by most accounts, plausibly capable of developing to be a starter-level talent.

I have no doubt that the SLC beat reporter was correct last week when he reported OKC is expecting to get a straight-up 1st rounder.

You win titles with "garbagemen" in your rotation, so the following is not a disparagement .... I can't see giving up a 1st for a garbageman when we're this far away from being an actual contender.

It's much more palatable to simply find the "next" Shaggy from the GLeague, which is a player that surely exists.

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I found the same thing. Not sure. But this is the law of the land according to the prophet Larry Coon...

2022-01-26_09-49-06.png

Knox can be traded for an asset up to $10.3m if I'm recalling my calculator correctly.

According to the wisdom of the ole Trade Machine, the Hawks would be considered a tax-paying team with this trade and therefore would be subject to 125% rule instead of 175%.  Perhaps this is just a sequencing thing as the first trade would allow the Hawks to take in less salary than sending out so as long as that one was done first, I suppose it would work.  

• Like 1