• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We release all our FAs next season, waive Gallo for his $5 mil guarantee - Hawks are under the luxury tax by $9 million. *(assuming $145 LT)

As of today 01/04/21, based on their play and availability thus far, I would let Reddish and Hunter hit RFA like Collins (unless it'sa real team friendly deal). They'd have to seriously make some headway from now until the end of the season to get early extensions.

So assuming we wait,  their QO will be $12.9 and $8.1 million respectively and by the time Hunter and/or Reddish's RFA extension hit the books, the salary cap and corresponding luxury tax would have increased with Bogi on his $18 mil expiring contract.

I don't know what Reddish and Hunter will command but I don't think below is unreasonable (5/90 for Reddish and 4/80 for Hunter).  This would leave us with $7M to fill out the remaining 5 roster spots assuming Bogi opts out to get paid elsewhere (Bogi opting in would be very painful).  Vet mins in 2023 will be ~$1.8M, so as is, we would be in the tax and have only 13 roster slots and 5 guys on vet mins.  Again, this deserves a lot of scrutiny but unless Ressler is willing to go a bit into the tax for at least 1-2 years (until new TV deal hits) we will likely not be able to retain Cam and De'Andre.  If Schlenk truly believes in them he could offer early extensions at hopefully discounted prices but I don't really know where his head is at.

image.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Okogie can't shoot to save his life. He wouldn't work here but Thad Young would be a good trade. I would really like to add Robert Covington and Thad Young. I know RoCo isn't good this year but I think he's like Delon. POR just isn't a good fit for him whereas Atlanta would be much better. Thad is someone I been wanting for awhile. 

My wishlist right now is: Thad Young, Robert Covington, and D.J. Augustin. 

This would be nice! I appreciate the realistic trade options…

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Wretch said:

Nah. This group struggled with focus and closing out games since the LP days. They're falling back into bad habits.

Honestly... We could use some solid veteran enforcers.  Not just like...on court muscle, but some no-BS guys with mental toughness that can set the tone with OUR guys. The vets we have out there are a little too nicey-nice.

The two things are different. 

I agree a vet presence would be great. 

However, this was not about closing out games.   Portland shot unbelievably well with one guy leading the charge.  I've seen us play better defense than that and the defenders wasn't slacking on Simons.   The guy just got unbelievably hot...and now we're acting like this is always the case (baseline)... Nah.

• Like 1

Thanks @JayBirdHawk Vandy D’s up well and is in defensive categories despite what seems to be low minutes? @Sothron any clue? You like him Soth? What’s his value? I see he’s on for roughly 4 million annually for 2 seasons after this, that’s screams steal. To me, he seems like he knows his role and plays hard.

Dang at this point I want guys that just play hard on d, both sides but we gotta get in front of people.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't know what Reddish and Hunter will command but I don't think below is unreasonable (5/90 for Reddish and 4/80 for Hunter).  This would leave us with $7M to fill out the remaining 5 roster spots assuming Bogi opts out to get paid elsewhere (Bogi opting in would be very painful).  Vet mins in 2023 will be ~$1.8M, so as is, we would be in the tax and have only 13 roster slots and 5 guys on vet mins.  Again, this deserves a lot of scrutiny but unless Ressler is willing to go a bit into the tax for at least 1-2 years (until new TV deal hits) we will likely not be able to retain Cam and De'Andre.  If Schlenk truly believes in them he could offer early extensions at hopefully discounted prices but I don't really know where his head is at.

image.png

We do have to take into account the salary cap will be going up substantially. That said, Capela gotta go this summer. No way he can stay if he can't stay on the floor in the 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

The obvious move that makes the most sense is to replace MacMillan.  When your fascination with your "rotations" overrides being flexible enough to do what is necessary to win, you don't need to be a head coach.  His assistants seem to follow his strategy without regard to how unsuccessful it is.  However, I was impressed with Jent, but not with Prunty.  I think we need a fresh start with a new head coach.

I know, I know; last year I was impressed with how the team improved with MacMillan.  However, since then, we have learned that he continued to use Pierce's sets, but was respected by the players.  Now Nate uses his own strategies and sets, and they simply do not work.  I believe he is gradually losing the respect of his players now.

Hunter seems to always be injured (not the same injury) and I wonder if it is wise to continue to pin our future success on him.  Reddish is similar, but seems to be a little less injury prone.  Gallo at $20+ million a year is laughable.  Bogi at $17+ million a year is almost as bad.  We don't have anything to trade except our few good players (JC, Capella, Trae), and what have you accomplished to get rid of those good players for improved second stringers?  

Maybe Schlenk needs to go too.  Ressler certainly expected more for this season, and I'm sure he's not thrilled about the results.

It is a real shame to waste Trae's 56 point, 14 assist effort on such a disappointing loss.  We're on the path back to the mediocrity (or worse) that we have experienced over the last two decades.

Wow... 

Now the peanut gallery is penalizing Nate for games that he nor his top Assistant weren't at?

Knee Jerk...

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Thanks @JayBirdHawk Vandy D’s up well and is in defensive categories despite what seems to be low minutes? @Sothron any clue? You like him Soth? What’s his value? I see he’s on for roughly 4 million annually for 2 seasons after this, that’s screams steal. To me, he seems like he knows his role and plays hard.

Dang at this point I want guys that just play hard on d, both sides but we gotta get in front of people.

We'd love Vandy on here. He plays his ass off on defense and blocking out. Any offense you get is a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

A unprotected 1st for Murray is the best they will get for him. Who else in the top 10 right now would do that?

He's their best player, he's 25 years old, and he's on a team-friendly deal for 2 more years. They're not trying to unload him for any FRP. And as mentioned, we're probably not a lottery team as it stands, and we definitely wouldn't be one with Murray. 

Teams are downloading us in the 4th quarter. That's not by mistake. We can't get stops and we can't score is our typical 4th quarters when ahead. That said, our 2nd unit also blows way too many leads in the 4th and late 3rd where we are up by big margins. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Supes, you’re never direct with me. I never know how you feel. :indifferent:

image.gif.3a59d013c92b2f425db161f29eb6776d.gif

It was directly to you, it was to that trade offer. With Bogi, we need someone back that's impactful. We can't just get rotation bench vets like Thad Young. For Gallo, that's great but not for Bogi. 

Just now, Diesel said:

I'd love to see what we look like when everybody is healthy.   But  Fans want to make moves based on what happens when we are the most injured team in the NBA...

Wow.

I've said this a month ago, what happen, we got more injuried than ever before. This team is brittle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The two things are different. 

I agree a vet presence would be great. 

However, this was not about closing out games.   Portland shot unbelievably well with one guy leading the charge.  I've seen us play better defense than that and the defenders wasn't slacking on Simons.   The guy just got unbelievably hot...and now we're acting like this is always the case (baseline)... Nah.

If this was a 1 time thing I would blow it off and not feel bad about it.  But it's clearly a culture problem when it comes to our defense.  We've had different guys in and out over the past month but we've still gotten absolutely cooked.  All of the games below teams scored 130+ against us

• Eric Gordon scored 32 on 16 shots and we gave up 130+
  • Bones Hyland, Monte Morris, and Jeff Green looked like all-stars against us and we gave up 130+
  • Both Bulls games we gave up 130+
  • Anfernee Simons looked like Steph Curry and we gave up 130+

I'm sure I'm missing more since I feel like once a week some bum destroys us but I remember these specifically.  We're also still on an 8 game home losing streak and I've been to every single one of them.  Nothing but pain.  I usually try to stay positive but they're making it tough for me when I haven't seen us win in a month and a half!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It was directly to you, it was to that trade offer. With Bogi, we need someone back that's impactful. We can't just get rotation bench vets like Thad Young. For Gallo, that's great but not for Bogi. 

I've said this a month ago, what happen, we got more injuried than ever before. This team is brittle. 

The whole team going into protocols isn't the same as getting injured. They are on the brittle side, but you can't hold all most of these recently missed games against them. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We do have to take into account the salary cap will be going up substantially. That said, Capela gotta go this summer. No way he can stay if he can't stay on the floor in the 4th quarter. 

Cap goes up in 2025... unless you know that Ressler doesn't care about paying luxury tax for a couple years it does matter.