• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

29 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Off topic:

I hate gambling.  Bet MGM is giving me the option of taking $2K right now on a 7-team parlay . . or I can see if I can win my final 2 games to get $11K.  They'll offer cash out options, if you're getting close to winning it all.  And that amount could rise or lower, depending on what is going on in the game.

If LSU finds some offense in the 2nd half, I'm going to lose it all.   But I could take the $2K right now.

Alexa What Should I Do GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

What you say, blue haired lady?

Dont Stop Keep Going GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

OK  . . . smh.

If it rises to $5K, I'll cash out

I have stayed, you eventually lose. At the same time I understand the rush. Tough call big guy! :laugh1:

You’re welcome 😂 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You must be a mystic.

How would you have known that Jordan or Nique's injury would be 1 season.  Hindsight is great Watch.  knowing what the answers on the exam is going to be always makes the test easier.   However, what happens when you don't know the answers?   Obviously.. you give up.   That's your problem. 

I look at trends. Jordan and Nique  didn't miss a lot of games.  So far, Hunter is out a lot.  Is there a reason to expect that to change?  I hope so, I like Hunter's defense and his offense last season.  I just wish we could have confidence that he will be there on a regular basis.  Also, he and Cam are not good rebound ers given their height..

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Diesel, the problem is that these issues were popping up even before everyone started to drop like flies.  We had the 7 game win streak around Thanksgiving.  Outside of that, we've sucked.

Remember, before everyone went down, we were having big time trouble closing out 4th quarters ( just like we were having under LP last season ). The problems with this team just didn't pop up over the holidays.

We have an identity problem.  Who are the Hawks?  What do we want to be?  What does Nate want us to be? 

If Nate wants us to be this up tempo team, he needs to play Cam and Trae a lot more together.  If Nate wants us to be this lockdown defensive team, he can't play Lou Williams or Gallo in the big forward/center positions.

I think Nate and Travis is waiting on Hunter's return, to see if he can make everything alright.  If he can't, all hell might break loose with that lineup.

Here's the thing...

OO is a big part of this team.   He gives our big men balance.   I was concerned that he would miss the beginning of the season.   

I'm glad you mentioned the 7 game win streak.  After a start where we started with one of the hardest schedules...  we got a homestand.. we got some players and we won 7 in a row... we won those games by an average of 10 ppg.   In those 7, we beat:  Milwaukee, Boston, Charlotte, and Memphis.   What stopped our streak was a lost to the Knicks. In that Knicks game we lost Bogi and Cam Reddish before the 2nd half. 

Hunter hasn't played since Nov 12.  OO just got back and went into Covid protocol as soon as he got back.   We have honestly been the most injured team in the NBA. 

This is why I say Patience.   We have it in us to be very good but we got to get healthy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nothing good ever happens with a team meeting.   Let's just watch what happens in the next few games.   To have your leader (Trae) pissed is a bigger kick in the pants than a team meeting would be 

no-team-meeting-ijust-cantdeal-emeycneaor-net-no-team-meeting-i-54349958.png.07a7962c5f537775f6d85c6f193f4296.png

7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I have stayed, you eventually lose. At the same time I understand the rush. Tough call big guy! :laugh1:

You’re welcome 😂 

So of course I lost.  LSU couldn't stop K-State for nothing.  And K-State let LSU get a charity TD at the end.  If I knew about all of those LSU players, I'd be $10K richer.  Had to settle for $1K.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

LP used to talk about making offenses feel us on D. Like we play too bitchmade. Look at NY or PHI. They are in your chest. They put pressure on you in many ways. Us, we play defense like bitches outside of Hunter. With Clint plays like a bitch if it's not help side shit. JC still is soft. Gallo, Charmin. Cam attention span is bad. Kev is food on the perimeter if he has to guard decent scorers. Trae literally the RS WOAT defensively. So much is wrong with this squad, the talent is there but we are still figuring shit out. 

Ironically though, we play more physical on offense than defense. 

Trae takes hits all the time.  JC and Gallo will take a hit and/or try to bang with people.  Capela goes after offensive rebounds much harder than defensive rebounds.  Kev and Bogi will take the bumps to get their shots off.  Cam slashes to the basket and doesn't mind getting hit.   Hell, even Lou Williams will take a hit to get to the FT line.

But when it comes to defense, none of them fight through screens.  And we can't get our frontline to put a body on someone and at least halfway box them out.  It's crazy the amount of defensive rebounds we give up with 4 Hawks in the paint, and the opponent just having 2 people crash the boards. 

And @JayBirdHawk pointed out that our transition defense is atrocious, mainly because people are either watching Trae ( hoping that a pass will come out to them ), or they simply lack the awareness to get back when a shot goes up.  If you're not crashing the boards, get your butt back.  Trae trying to stop a 2 - 1 break is like a baby deer in headlights.  He might have a chance to at least slow somebody down, if another wing was back with him.

Deer In The Headlights GIF - Scrubs Deer Deer In The Headlights - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Ironically though, we play more physical on offense than defense. 

Trae takes hits all the time.  JC and Gallo will take a hit and/or try to bang with people.  Capela goes after offensive rebounds much harder than defensive rebounds.  Kev and Bogi will take the bumps to get their shots off.  Cam slashes to the basket and doesn't mind getting hit.   Hell, even Lou Williams will take a hit to get to the FT line.

But when it comes to defense, none of them fight through screens.  And we can't get our frontline to put a body on someone and at least halfway box them out.  It's crazy the amount of defensive rebounds we give up with 4 Hawks in the paint, and the opponent just having 2 people crash the boards. 

And @JayBirdHawk pointed out that our transition defense is atrocious, mainly because people are either watching Trae ( hoping that a pass will come out to them ), or they simply lack the awareness to get back when a shot goes up.  If you're not crashing the boards, get your butt back.  Trae trying to stop a 2 - 1 break is like a baby deer in headlights.  He might have a chance to at least slow somebody down, if another wing was back with him.

Deer In The Headlights GIF - Scrubs Deer Deer In The Headlights - Discover  & Share GIFs

"Capela goes after offensive rebounds much harder than defensive rebounds"

Probably because he knows he'll more than likely miss the first time.... lol

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, mrhonline said:

Can I amend my own trade? With this one, you could let TLC go and sign Mays to a minimum contract.

image.png

I would keep Forbes - he has championship experience. I would release TLC and sign Iwundu.  Mays can play unlimited games with the NBA team instead of the 50 so we still keep him around.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, terrell said:

"Capela goes after offensive rebounds much harder than defensive rebounds"

Probably because he knows he'll more than likely miss the first time.... lol

This is a bit of a false narrative.

What good rebounder doesn't go harder after Offensive Rebounds than Defensive rebounds?

It's all about position.   On the defensive rebound, your always in position to get the rebound.   On the offensive rebound, you have to fight for position to get the rebound. The good rebounders are the ones who pull down offensive rebounds and defensive rebounds. 

Fake News.

• Moderators

I think we have a short memory.  We had a losing streak on the road against the top teams in the west that was brutal.  We followed it up with a 7 game winning streak and then injuries and covid hit.   

On December 1st we were 12-10 after the hardest SOS in the NBA.

on December 1st we were now playing without Bogi, Cam and Hunter

----

I'm going to guess that there aren't any big moves coming and if we get the team healthy we will start playing well again.   And the keys to our success will be the same as last year and that's Bogi and JC and Gallo in a limited role off the bench.   

But we have to have Bogi and JC and ideally at least one of Cam/Hunter.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I think we have a short memory.  We had a losing streak on the road against the top teams in the west that was brutal.  We followed it up with a 7 game winning streak and then injuries and covid hit.   

On December 1st we were 12-10 after the hardest SOS in the NBA.

on December 1st we were now playing without Bogi, Cam and Hunter

----

I'm going to guess that there aren't any big moves coming and if we get the team healthy we will start playing well again.   And the keys to our success will be the same as last year and that's Bogi and JC and Gallo in a limited role off the bench.   

But we have to have Bogi and JC and ideally at least one of Cam/Hunter.   

Mac...  

This is the nature of the squawk.  Short Memories and Knee Jerk reactions.   I think when healthy we are one of the better teams in the East.  Right up there with Brooklyn and Milwaukee.   The problem is that we haven't been fully healthy all season.   But we had a stint where we were close to healthy and we were beating teams by ~10 ppg.   

I think that the loss to PTL was more about a young man's emotion than our team's breakdown.   We shot 54.5% from the field.   Trae scored 56 points.  And we have squawkers talking about a "Scoring drought" lost the game for us???  No.  PTL won that game because one of their players hit 9 3 pters during an emotional time.   It's like Buster Douglass knocking out Tyson.   Simons will probably not sniff 30 points for the rest of the season. 

Short memories.  

And they treat these games where we are playing 10 dayers as if it's our core out there.   We are missing 3 starters and these Squawkers can only say.. "Well other teams are missing players too"...  And other teams who have as many missing players as we do are losing too.. what is the freaking point??

• Like 1