• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Hey 👋@Wretch or should I call 📞 you Wretchard for long? Lol, I was thinking, what do you think of Jerami Grant of the Detroit Pistons? 

What do you have in my mind for Grant cost wise? I don't see a reasonable price tag for him 

The biggest issue is, any trade will impact our cap for 2022-23. That's the biggest Gray area

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

What do you have in my mind for Grant cost wise? I don't see a reasonable price tag for him 

The biggest issue is, any trade will impact our cap for 2022-23. That's the biggest Gray area

I honestly don’t, it’s Wretches boy, I like him as well as a player but have no idea who we would be having to give up, most likely 1 of Hunter and Cam and possibly Huerter or a pick as well. It’s almost too rich for my blood 🩸 but he does seem to play hard and smart every night so, there’s that.

Don’t even know his contract status.

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I honestly don’t, it’s Wretches boy, I like him as well as a player but have no idea who we would be having to give up, most likely 1 of Hunter and Cam and possibly Huerter or a pick as well. It’s almost too rich for my blood 🩸 but he does seem to play hard and smart every night so, there’s that.

Way too rich for my blood. The minute any trade would like one of the core outside of Kev, I need a legit star on the other end.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Jerami Grant $20,002,500 $20,955,000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So to be clear, our young guys (Cam, Hunter, OO, Jalen, Kev) can/should be able to fetch blockbuster talent.  We can do better than Grant for those kinds of assets.  I imagine most teams could as well and if they're bottom feeders, they have long leashes for that talent and a lack of a need for a player like Grant.  They'd literally just be mirroring what Detroit has.  So if that were the asking price, they can go to ish.  I'd be surprised to see them get that kind of talent for him straight up.  

That being said, a reasonable ask for them is protected 1sts and young talent.  Our protected 1st looks as attractive as our closest competition for him in the standings, but I don't know how much of an advantage we'd have.  Apparently, Grant is all over everybody's radar - contender and middling teams alike.  I suspect it's a low-budget bidding war for him.

As for salary, Gallo going out would do it.  So would Bogi - which is no sweat for me as I favored Grant over him to begin with.  Preferably Gallo though, which could possibly net something from a 3rd team to send to Detroit along with a protected 1st from us.  I'd start Grant at the 3 and let Hunter work his way up and pick up Gallo's role.

• Like 1

That interview has so many questions that’s on the table….I don’t even know where to start!

first off from listening to it I can’t tell if Schlenk is seriously pissed to the point to make some trades or if he’s trying to fire up and motivate the team and let them know he’s not happy with their efforts including the coaching staff.

second when he spoke about not being able to close out games despite going into the 4th with leads ….immediately I thought about McMillan here and I wonder if last year’s success forced schlenks hand to give McMillan a long term contract….it’s really tough to say if McMillan would be running this team if schlenk went into this past off season interviewing for a new coach.

I do see the backup pg being addressed if possible first. I’m not so sure about trading gallo…I don’t think schlenk is pointing fingers at gallo as much as he may be at our wings ….schlenk knows that outside of capela defense is needed around Trae and so far the wings have been disappointing.

overall I don’t see schlenk getting rid of any young core players right now. I think he will let the season finish before making any major moves but I hope he was not just directing this frustration at the players only, as the coaching staff and their schemes have been terrible and we completely went away from what was working last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

So to be clear, our young guys (Cam, Hunter, OO, Jalen, Kev) can/should be able to fetch blockbuster talent.  We can do better than Grant for those kinds of assets.  I imagine most teams could as well and if they're bottom feeders, they have long leashes for that talent and a lack of a need for a player like Grant.  They'd literally just be mirroring what Detroit has.  So if that were the asking price, they can go to ish.  I'd be surprised to see them get that kind of talent for him straight up.  

That being said, a reasonable ask for them is protected 1sts and young talent.  Our protected 1st looks as attractive as our closest competition for him in the standings, but I don't know how much of an advantage we'd have.  Apparently, Grant is all over everybody's radar - contender and middling teams alike.  I suspect it's a low-budget bidding war for him.

As for salary, Gallo going out would do it.  So would Bogi - which is no sweat for me as I favored Grant over him to begin with.  Preferably Gallo though, which could possibly net something from a 3rd team to send to Detroit along with a protected 1st from us.  I'd start Grant at the 3 and let Hunter work his way up and pick up Gallo's role.

Detroit wouldn’t do it…especially if gallo is the main attraction you get back.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JTB said:

Understandable, but read this part again:

Preferably Gallo though, which could possibly net something from a 3rd team to send to Detroit along with a protected 1st from us.  

I'd have Gallo going to a 3rd team (or Bogi). *Edit - Also consider that Grant is basically a 1.5 year rental to whomever bags him.  So, another reason for Detroit not to be expecting a king's ransom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Way too rich for my blood. The minute any trade would like one of the core outside of Kev, I need a legit star on the other end.

The question always becomes will Ressler be willing to go into the tax to pay/extend Cam AND Hunter, and I don't know the answer to that question, nor do I know how far into the tax we'd need to go which largely depends on what their price for an extension will be this summer.  Moving Cam doesn't really solve this because anyone we get back is going to have a high price tag, so you need to attach someone that's getting paid to him.  Gallo doesn't free up anything either because he's likely gone after this year.  We really don't have that much to offer other than picks and filler, and I don't know how good of a player we can realistically get back with that.

I just don't really see any major moves that we can make that would make sense.  My guess is we make some small moves around the edges to round out the second unit.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:
Jerami Grant $20,002,500 $20,955,000

20 mill this year and 21 million for 22/23 then he’s free. Ya, it would have to be like one of our guys and maybe a 1st but no more. I do like the guy he’s solid, we need guys that know their roles as @Wretch has said Jerami knows and watching him he screams winning also. 

57 minutes ago, JTB said:

overall I don’t see schlenk getting rid of any young core players right now.

This makes sense to me also because it’s almost throwing in the towel on his own build which he can’t do because once again we are injured. I’d wait.

56 minutes ago, JTB said:

No they might a 1st is attached. They are in it for the long haul but as Wretch said prolly a bidding war but they could prolly fetch better than Gallo and a 1st from their perspective so ya you’re right. :sarcastic:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

The team's dependence on Hunter and Capela making up for everyone's defense is showing. Capela can't be everywhere to make up for the fact you can't keep your man in front of you. Capela can't be everywhere to make up for the fact you can't fight THROUGH a screen and always switch. We need some dogs on this team. 

Naamloos-1.jpg.a73d738ef063f37d7cf5da84d16cc62e.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I dont see many moves available that make sense

The obvious move that makes the most sense is to replace MacMillan.  When your fascination with your "rotations" overrides being flexible enough to do what is necessary to win, you don't need to be a head coach.  His assistants seem to follow his strategy without regard to how unsuccessful it is.  However, I was impressed with Jent, but not with Prunty.  I think we need a fresh start with a new head coach.

I know, I know; last year I was impressed with how the team improved with MacMillan.  However, since then, we have learned that he continued to use Pierce's sets, but was respected by the players.  Now Nate uses his own strategies and sets, and they simply do not work.  I believe he is gradually losing the respect of his players now.

Hunter seems to always be injured (not the same injury) and I wonder if it is wise to continue to pin our future success on him.  Reddish is similar, but seems to be a little less injury prone.  Gallo at $20+ million a year is laughable.  Bogi at $17+ million a year is almost as bad.  We don't have anything to trade except our few good players (JC, Capella, Trae), and what have you accomplished to get rid of those good players for improved second stringers?  

Maybe Schlenk needs to go too.  Ressler certainly expected more for this season, and I'm sure he's not thrilled about the results.

It is a real shame to waste Trae's 56 point, 14 assist effort on such a disappointing loss.  We're on the path back to the mediocrity (or worse) that we have experienced over the last two decades.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tyus Jones for Delon Wright.  We need someone to organize the offense for the 2nd unit.

Memphis says no thanks.. lol. Tyus is great for them...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1