• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

Gallo , as we saw last year, is a really important player for this team.  He always struggles when he's been out.   If we can find a better player for the role i'm all for it but not convinced we can.  Getting tougher would be a good idea though.

Lou isn't going to get us much.   I don't see him having a big role going forward (hopefully) but it's fine if we only use him in spots and not rely on him for 15 minutes a night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Sounds like he's rattling cages. That's my take. We all understand that we have injury issues, and Travis schlenk obviously understands that. Reading between the lines though, there are certain patterns that he's seeing - just like we are seeing it. Unlike previous GMs tho, he seems to get it. He's a smart guy and he knows how to evaluate talent and he knows where we're at.

He knows that Trae is one of those unique talents and he absolutely must surround him with the kind of talent those players need to succeed. He doesn't want to be the next GM that loses a superstar, and he obviously doesn't want to make a mistake giving up too soon on his assets...but at the end of the day he is going to take all the heat for how it shakes out. I said it last couple of seasons, but successfully navigating this kind of situation we're in is what separates good from great front offices.

Ideally, we trim some fat and give up some draft picks to add quality veterans. If we can do that and start winning some of these games it at least gets us to the off-season. Then we re-evaluate again. Otherwise we might have to crack open the piggy bank. 

😬

• Like 4

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Ok so i listened to it and all i can say is that Travis should not have gone on the radio without drinking his coffee or taking his prozac or whatever.  Geez if i was a player like Trae that would piss me off a bit.

• We just came off a stretch where we played majority minutes with replacement players.
  • Every Hawks player in the game last night other than Trae/Clint has been on ice for 2 weeks
  • Not every team in the league is dealing with this.  No other team in the league had 13 players out at the same time with no postpones not to mention our top 2 coaches are now out
  • Yeah he needs to look in the  mirror and admit he let this team down by not standing up to the league.   
  • He's really going to go on the radio and not give Trae props after 2 nights ago he beat the Cavs with a bunch of G-leaguers beside him?

I don't know what he was thinking but that interview was terrible.  He really is sitting there thinking: I don't understand why Lou and Gallo aren't defending better.  Why aren't WRight and TLC making shots. Come on man that's friggin weak.   

There's a time to take shots at the team but this isn't it.

Maybe he’s trying to help Trae. Ever think of that professor? 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I disagree. The criticism is warranted and its fair. Last night was another shocking defensive collapse. Remember the 44 point 4th quarter we gave up to the Rockets? Time for hand holding is over. He's letting guys know,  start playing defense or I'm shipping your ass out of here. 

Last night was an anomaly.   If we take it as the baseline then shame on us.   We are not good at recognizing the situation is that's the case. 

50 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I love the call out by Schlenk. Facts are facts are facts.

If anything, maybe it strikes the fear of God in to some of the guys who know they are not performing well. I think the timing is perfect because it was after a loss, but gives them time to respond on the court well before the trade deadline. Schlenk's comments may be knee jerk, but he doesn't have to trade anyone right now. They are on notice and he can evaluate if guys change their attitudes and approach as we are also getting healthier and excuses disappear.

He lit a fire, let's see how it plays out.

We don't know if he lit a fire or not.  We'll have to see how they play.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Last night was an anomaly.   If we take it as the baseline then shame on us.   We are not good at recognizing the situation is that's the case. 

I disagree that it was an anomaly.  We have been having difficulty closing games in the 4th all year - part of that is Nate's rotations to start the 4th with Trae on the bench (after playing him the full 3rd quarter and the all bench lineup, we have not gotten a stop on critical possessions to secure a win.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It wasn't an anomaly actually. Travis Schlenk agrees with my assessment  as well. 

You think that's the baseline?  You think Travis thinks that's the baseline?

Come on Bleach...  Don't fall into the trap. 

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nah. This group struggled with focus and closing out games since the LP days. They're falling back into bad habits.

Honestly... We could use some solid veteran enforcers.  Not just like...on court muscle, but some no-BS guys with mental toughness that can set the tone with OUR guys. The vets we have out there are a little too nicey-nice.

• Like 4

Did we keep the receipts 🧾 on Nate? :indifferent:

Honestly, I don’t even know anymore, is it the coach, is it the players, is it a lack of motivation? You’re in the NBA, you should be motivated and thankful and go hard every friggin night. 

Portland should not have won last night. That was our worst loss of the season imo and we’ve had some funky ones.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Lou Williams was the worst move this offseason 

I had him at 3rd stringer microwave break glass in emergency guy if we need scoring punch - not the backup PG.

Get the anticipated regulars back - he should not see another minute but garbage time.

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Honestly, I don’t even know anymore, is it the coach, is it the players, is it a lack of motivation?

W9KgOTCpMhU=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

Nah. This group struggled with focus and closing out games since the LP days. They're falling back into bad habits.

Honestly... We could use some solid veteran enforcers.  Not just like...on court muscle, but some no-BS guys with mental toughness that can set the tone with OUR guys. The vets we have out there are a little too nicey-nice.

Hey 👋 @Wretch or should I call 📞 you Wretchard for long? Lol, I was thinking, what do you think of Jerami Grant of the Detroit Pistons? 

• Haha 1