• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

Totally fine to burn it down, Get rid of them all, seriously guys it may start with Trae, Did you listen to the interview , he built the team wrong because there guys aren't who we thought they were, they do not care enough they are not making effort plays period. We already wondered if they would happen and it is.  We know Travis can draft , I'm totally down to start over, I'm not doing this falcons shit here , keep everyone feel good and always trying to recapture success by just letting guys work it out etc . Glad to hear this from the gm , 

• Like 1

You can call them whatever you want, that is the mentality that got the falcons , they brought everyone back is the main thing, they didn't really try and improve, there needed to bee a bit of turnover to get to next level because scoring isn't the issue really,  but I thought they would have looked at that and known it or thought no these guys can do it, when already knew they can't , now they can't even make the playoffs .  I get injuries but this is about effort.  

Never said I wanted to burn it down, saying I'm fine with it, Im also not totally sold on luka and Trae, but it's too early because we haven't seen them in post season enough, but the game has changed and when playoffs come around it isn't the same as regular season 

Edited by hylndr11

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I"ll go back and listen but we finally get a superstar in the draft plus a bunch of A level talent and you want to burn it down?   I doubt that's what Travis is saying.   The chances of ever drafting another Trae Young or basically like 2%.

Going to listen but i imagine he's talking about the pieces he added like Lou, Gallo, Wright, TLC and not the actual <25 year old ballers he drafted

Yeah, I'm not listenin to anyone suggesting getting rid of Trae as the 'solution'.

Yikes, are people still enamored with tanking?  My gard, to do what?  Get us a guy who's not as good as Trae but .. he's new so ... yay?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ok so i listened to it and all i can say is that Travis should not have gone on the radio without drinking his coffee or taking his prozac or whatever.  Geez if i was a player like Trae that would piss me off a bit.

• We just came off a stretch where we played majority minutes with replacement players.
  • Every Hawks player in the game last night other than Trae/Clint has been on ice for 2 weeks
  • Not every team in the league is dealing with this.  No other team in the league had 13 players out at the same time with no postpones not to mention our top 2 coaches are now out
  • Yeah he needs to look in the  mirror and admit he let this team down by not standing up to the league.   
  • He's really going to go on the radio and not give Trae props after 2 nights ago he beat the Cavs with a bunch of G-leaguers beside him?

I don't know what he was thinking but that interview was terrible.  He really is sitting there thinking: I don't understand why Lou and Gallo aren't defending better.  Why aren't WRight and TLC making shots. Come on man that's friggin weak.   

There's a time to take shots at the team but this isn't it.

I disagree. The criticism is warranted and its fair. Last night was another shocking defensive collapse. Remember the 44 point 4th quarter we gave up to the Rockets? Time for hand holding is over. He's letting guys know,  start playing defense or I'm shipping your ass out of here. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ok so i listened to it and all i can say is that Travis should not have gone on the radio without drinking his coffee or taking his prozac or whatever.  Geez if i was a player like Trae that would piss me off a bit.

• We just came off a stretch where we played majority minutes with replacement players.
  • Every Hawks player in the game last night other than Trae/Clint has been on ice for 2 weeks
  • Not every team in the league is dealing with this.  No other team in the league had 13 players out at the same time with no postpones not to mention our top 2 coaches are now out
  • Yeah he needs to look in the  mirror and admit he let this team down by not standing up to the league.   
  • He's really going to go on the radio and not give Trae props after 2 nights ago he beat the Cavs with a bunch of G-leaguers beside him?

I don't know what he was thinking but that interview was terrible.  He really is sitting there thinking: I don't understand why Lou and Gallo aren't defending better.  Why aren't WRight and TLC making shots. Come on man that's friggin weak.   

There's a time to take shots at the team but this isn't it.

Ur right he must just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, just being emotional because that's been his MO, no he knows what he's doing and so does ownership

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Three trades that would make us better

1. https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7506705

2. https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7506718

3. https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7506720

PGs: Trae, Augustin, Coop

Wings: Cam, Hunter, Baze, Mays, Prince, Bogi, and Red Velvet. 

Bigs: RoCo, JC, Dieng, Capela, Okongwu, and JJ

1. Blazers will ask for a 1st round pick

2. I think I had a proposed Gallo trade for Prince and Okogie in the offseason

3.  All I could think of tenor.gif?itemid=5666044

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

It is very clear to me that listening to that interview that Schlenk is about to trade some people. It is so obvious our gaping hole at backup PG is costing us games that he even specifically mentioned the inability to hold a lead.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Let's just be more specific.   Travis is complaining because Gallo and Lou can't play defense and Wright and TLC can't play offense.  

It's not as much a lack of effort as a lack of ability.   You can be frustrated if you want or just recognize that we are relying on players with limited skillsets.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tyus Jones for Delon Wright.  We need someone to organize the offense for the 2nd unit.

Why would Memphis do this?  Jones is a solid back up.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tyus Jones for Delon Wright. 

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Blazers will ask for a 1st round pick

2. I think I had a proposed Gallo trade for Prince and Okogie in the offseason

3.  All I could think of tenor.gif?itemid=5666044

🤣 

• Premium Member

For anyone who did not listen to the interview, Schlenk is talking about moving people on the margins -- he didn't name names but my hope and thought is he's referencing TLC, Lou, Gallo, Wright, and very likely Cam (pains me but likely true).

I genuinely think Lou/Gallo being gone is addition by subtraction.  I actually like Wright and his role off the bench but he's not really a PG offensively, but defensively he is versatile and good.  He's also a great rebounder and plays well off ball.  All in all, I think Schlenk is frustrated with the effort and is always looking to improve the team, but I really doubt he makes any major moves.  His tone and sentiment echo'd our frustrations on the call though which is somewhat encouraging.  I also think it will provide kick in the ass to some of the guys that are playing lazy defense.  I hope we blow the Kings out tomorrow night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Gallo and Lou seem like the obvious candidates here.  Gallo should generate some interest.  Lou would be a "I'll trade you my problem for your problem" scenario where you hope the change in scenery elevates a player another team just doesn't want around anymore.

Wright should be part of that conversation as well.  He has a strong track record for a backup point guard coming into this season which is why so many of us (definitely me included) cheered when we got him.  But he has been a terrible fit.  Someone else should think he'd fit much better and want to add him for the rest of this year.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, capstone21 said:

I would look at some consolidation for a big three like Jaylen Brown / Filler for Gallo/Hunter/Cam ... protected pick if necessary.

Going to be tough to pull off a trade like that.  With their injury history, selling on Hunter and Cam now is selling damaged goods.  Getting "core" borderline All-Star players is always tough but doubly so when your main trade assets are carrying red flags that are bright enough to be seen from space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1