• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "Maybe I should lower my expectations for this team"

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The question always becomes will Ressler be willing to go into the tax to pay/extend Cam AND Hunter, and I don't know the answer to that question, nor do I know how far into the tax we'd need to go which largely depends on what their price for an extension will be this summer.  Moving Cam doesn't really solve this because anyone we get back is going to have a high price tag, so you need to attach someone that's getting paid to him.  Gallo doesn't free up anything either because he's likely gone after this year.  We really don't have that much to offer other than picks and filler, and I don't know how good of a player we can realistically get back with that.

I just don't really see any major moves that we can make that would make sense.  My guess is we make some small moves around the edges to round out the second unit.

We release all our FAs next season, waive Gallo for his $5 mil guarantee - Hawks are under the luxury tax by $9 million. *(assuming $145 LT)

As of today 01/04/21, based on their play and availability thus far, I would let Reddish and Hunter hit RFA like Collins (unless it'sa real team friendly deal). They'd have to seriously make some headway from now until the end of the season to get early extensions.

So assuming we wait,  their QO will be $12.9 and $8.1 million respectively and by the time Hunter and/or Reddish's RFA extension hit the books, the salary cap and corresponding luxury tax would have increased with Bogi on his $18 mil expiring contract.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here's mine:

image.png

• Young provides vet leadership and secondary play-making. 
  • Forbes is a good enough shooter to replace Gallo and is no worse a defender than Lou.

My thinking is that Nate would actually play both of these guys. The Spurs would buy out Hill so he can return to Atlanta to rehab. The Hawks save on Gallo's $5M guarantee.

(I also think you could recover one of the 2nds by moving Forbes elsewhere, if needed).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok I got a trade here.

Spud special,

What do y’all think.

Hawks get: Vanderbilt and Prince 👑 (back)

Wolves get: Bogi Bogdanovic

Thoughts? 

@JayBirdHawk hit me wit it! Don’t gimme bad news. Lol.

FFDA0FC5-2295-4664-AA7B-E601BDBD903D.jpeg

DF86B2CB-520B-45E3-98AE-27A379D2214E.jpeg

D1E0C19E-7062-4C67-8977-2659F0D0A389.jpeg

I don't know much about Vanderbilt, but this seams like it needs to be Gallo going out. Minny has a plethora of guards (Edwards, Beasley, Okogie) but need a real PF. We'd also need to take on a little more salary since Minny would look to avoid the Luxury Tax and Gallo makes more combined than Prince and Vanderbilt, add Okogie and send them TLC and a 2nd rounder.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Watchman said:

The obvious move that makes the most sense is to replace MacMillan.  When your fascination with your "rotations" overrides being flexible enough to do what is necessary to win, you don't need to be a head coach.  His assistants seem to follow his strategy without regard to how unsuccessful it is.  However, I was impressed with Jent, but not with Prunty.  I think we need a fresh start with a new head coach.

I know, I know; last year I was impressed with how the team improved with MacMillan.  However, since then, we have learned that he continued to use Pierce's sets, but was respected by the players.  Now Nate uses his own strategies and sets, and they simply do not work.  I believe he is gradually losing the respect of his players now.

Hunter seems to always be injured (not the same injury) and I wonder if it is wise to continue to pin our future success on him.  Reddish is similar, but seems to be a little less injury prone.  Gallo at $20+ million a year is laughable.  Bogi at $17+ million a year is almost as bad.  We don't have anything to trade except our few good players (JC, Capella, Trae), and what have you accomplished to get rid of those good players for improved second stringers?  

Maybe Schlenk needs to go too.  Ressler certainly expected more for this season, and I'm sure he's not thrilled about the results.

It is a real shame to waste Trae's 56 point, 14 assist effort on such a disappointing loss.  We're on the path back to the mediocrity (or worse) that we have experienced over the last two decades.

We owe Nate 4 years pay.. He isnt going anywhere this soon...But I agree...His coaching HAS NOT been impressive this season.... I still believe the team was playing on emotion after LP got fired, more than just Nate coaching his ass off...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Here's mine:

image.png

• Young provides vet leadership and secondary play-making. 
  • Forbes is a good enough shooter to replace Gallo and is no worse a defender than Lou.

My thinking is that Nate would actually play both of these guys. The Spurs would buy out Hill so he can return to Atlanta to rehab. The Hawks save on Gallo's $5M guarantee.

This seems like a 2nd or 2 not the OKC 1st (even though it turns into 2nds after this year). Gallo is still a useful player so he's not a strict salary dump...pay a 2nd for the $5 mil guarantee.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This seems like a 2nd or 2 not the OKC 1st (even though it turns into 2nds after this year). Gallo is still a useful player so he's not a strict salary dump...pay a 2nd for the $5 mil guarantee.

Gallo hasnt been useful lately..

Edited by terrell

Team has just been devastated by injuries and COVID. We do have a glaring gaping need for 2 more scorers. As much as I like Hunter, if he can’t stay healthy he’s no good to us. Haven’t watched Cam enough to have an opinion, but I’m sure he still struggles wildly with consistency like he always has. Sadly these two stepping up, being available, and playing consistently would solve 80-90% of our issues. We still need another guy who can get a bucket unassisted regularly.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm assuming the OKC 1st is two second-rounders. And based on the talent they're building in OKC, I think they're gonna be in the late 40s by the time they're conveyed.

Regardless, I really don't think that kind of thing causes trades to fall through. You can haggle over 2nd rounders as a last stage.

Travis:  No, you shouldn't lower your expectations.  Covid-19 + injuries have had a terrible effect on the entire team.  We've been forced to play our G League rookies and 10-day contract players.

If this Hawk team gets all their players back and the losses continue, then panic.  Until then, hang on,  We ain't dead yet

:sun:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hell no, Bogi is way too good for this trash package. Gallo, sure. 

Vanderbilt is actually pretty good and is dirt cheap signed through 2023-2024, problem is he is strictly a PF and we have a bit of a logjam there. No way Minny trades him for a 1 year rental of Gallo, and I'm not sure they trade him for Bogi either. 

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

A unprotected 1st for Murray is the best they will get for him. Who else in the top 10 right now would do that?

We aren't finishing bottom ten after that trade, and likely won't finish top 10 even if we don't get anyone. 

4 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Can I amend my own trade? With this one, you could let TLC go and sign Mays to a minimum contract.

image.png

Okogie can't shoot to save his life. He wouldn't work here but Thad Young would be a good trade. I would really like to add Robert Covington and Thad Young. I know RoCo isn't good this year but I think he's like Delon. POR just isn't a good fit for him whereas Atlanta would be much better. Thad is someone I been wanting for awhile. 

My wishlist right now is: Thad Young and Robert Covington

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In any Bogi trade, we need something good back. I would trade Bogi and our unprotected 2021 1st for Dejounte Murray 

Love this trade idea but I know the spurs probably wouldn’t do it though it works out pretty well