• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting take on twitter by a Knicks fan.

marco102

• Moderators

That is just an example of delusional Knicks fans are.  They think everything about their team is the GOAT when it has been garbage other than a brief season or two since Ewing hung up his shoes.  

You can look at all the rate based statistics and see the gap between Trae and Quickley.  On per 36, one averages 27 and 10 on an elite .583% TS% while the other averages a more modest 19 and 4.5 with a .549% TS%.  While Quickley got more minutes this year, his rate and efficiency metrics were actually worse as a sophmore in contrast to Trae blowing up.  

Now you could make a case for Quickley deserving a bigger role but to compare him to Trae is like comparing DMC to LeBron.  Just no.

• Like 2

Any player, good/bad, young/old, is going to look better when given the keys aka the ball, a featured role, the minutes, and the support to play through mistakes. But they are not going to consistently look like a superstar unless they truly are one.

The issue with this take and Trae hate overall, is the same thing that also makes Trae so special. He is not supposed to be able to do the things that he does, especially considering his stature and lack of physical gifts. And because of this people look at him and say “If he can do it so can (fill in the blank)”. There is no acknowledgement of how unlikely and special it is to see Trae do the things he does, they just wait for his size to catch up to him so they can say, “see, I told you he was too small”.

And in the mean time, they will prop up any guy that jumps higher or is bigger because they “look” the part

• Like 4

So one of the interesting thing about Jordan, Pippen and the Bulls is after their 1st 2 championships, other players were seen mimicking their styles of play. You can longer players leaking into passing lanes and taking risks. You had point guards all over practicing 3 relentlessly. You had anyone 6-5-6.8 going relentlessly to the hole in isolation sets.

It could be fair to say that Trae's successful style of play is elevating the game of other players trying to copycat him (no different than he copycat'd Curry's long 3s).  No difference is a bit strong but it would be fair to say quickly could have some success driving the ship like Trae. He'd just need a stronger supporting cast and a year or two to practice his copycattery. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

It is particularly silly when Trae is doing things that no PG in history has ever done that anyone would think that a role player would be able to equal his performance if just given the minutes.  Like none of Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Magic Johnson, IT, John Stockton, AI, Oscar, Curry, Kidd, GP, Frazier, etc. have every been able to do these things but this 15 PER role player is going to do it.  Just ridiculous.

• Like 3

I can't leave well enough alone.  This is such an absurd take.  It's always risky to assume a player will maintain their shooting levels with increased minutes but to, in this case, just take it as a given that said player will dramatically INCREASE their shooting percentages across the entire board with increased opportunity is just delusional.  IQ literally does nothing as well as Trae on the offensive end.  

Trae vs IQ.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

This is exactly why I lose my mind when people say that Knicks fans are the most knowledgeable in the NBA.   I'd actually say they are the opposite. 

Well the dudes I sat around a few years back at MSG knew a bit but acted like they invented the game. 

Some know some things but act like they are basketball gods. Quite annoying. :trinity:

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Well the dudes I sat around a few years back at MSG knew a bit but acted like they invented the game. 

Some know some things but act like they are basketball gods. Quite annoying. :trinity:

They almost all literally thought they'd sweep the hawks last year.   lol

• Haha 2

In fairness to Knicks fans, we do the same dang thing with our developing players.  We're more interested in an idealized version of someone we drafted than proven NBA players.  It's not just wing stop either.  I was one of the biggest Jalen fans after summer league, but we have posters who are literally saying we would have finished with a better record by letting Jalen play.  

Last offseason it was a chorus of run it back, and every rookie contract we had shouldn't be traded.  The ridiculousness of saying IQ could be Trae is not much different than the stuff we have said.  The phrase, "Take the log out of your own eye so you can remove the speck of dust in your brother" comes to mind.  Maybe every team has fans that see their players as future stars.  

• Moderators

Whether the fan base is knowledgeable or not as a group, they are clearly delusional when it comes to their homerism.  We've all seen it over and over again when they think they are elite and start arguing things like how IT and Carmelo Anthony would lead them to a championship.  It may be unfair to judge the fanbase by the large number of Knicks fans on RealGM but those guys were always out of their minds unrealistic about their own team when I was moderating on there.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

In fairness to Knicks fans, we do the same dang thing with our developing players.  We're more interested in an idealized version of someone we drafted than proven NBA players.  It's not just wing stop either.  I was one of the biggest Jalen fans after summer league, but we have posters who are literally saying we would have finished with a better record by letting Jalen play.  

Last offseason it was a chorus of run it back, and every rookie contract we had shouldn't be traded.  The ridiculousness of saying IQ could be Trae is not much different than the stuff we have said.  The phrase, "Take the log out of your own eye so you can remove the speck of dust in your brother" comes to mind.  Maybe every team has fans that see their players as future stars.  

IMO, it is a question of degree.  We definitely have homerism among our fans but tend to be more self-aware that this is the case and less extreme with regard to how far out of line we are when we get over our ski tips.   

Last year is a good example.  Both teams finished with very similar records.  Atlanta proved to be the significantly better team in the playoffs.  But Hawks fans were generally excited to be in the playoffs and thinking we had a good chance against the Knicks.  Knicks fans were generally planning for what they would do after they swept the Hawks since the Hawks weren't in the same zip code.  

Here is a poll they did for the series:

image.png

Heck, even after having to eat a lopsided loss in the playoffs last year you still saw articles about how the Knicks were strong contenders to win a ring this year:

After making key additions to the squad and keeping the core of the team that performed together last season, the New York Knicks are in a good position to win their first championship since 1973. The Knicks made calculative additions to their impressive roster, complementing their team with the additions of Kemba Walker, Dwayne Bacon and French Olympic silver medalist Evan Fournier.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/3-reasons-new-york-knicks-can-dark-horses-2021-22-nba-championship

So I buy into every fanbase having bias but some are more extreme than others, imo.  There is an ego and false pride that seems to be a base part of Knicks culture and bleeds into every article about how the next NBA superstar will be a Knick, how every big FA wants to sign with the Knicks, etc. and then reality comes calling over and over.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Yeah, this ain't it chief.  The majority around here wanted to keep wing stop to see their potential.  We, the majority, were not saying they were the next Kawahi and PG13.  There was some mention of it I'll fully admit, but for the most part it was in jest. 

Jalen Johnson no one is on here saying if he gets more playing time he will be the next Giannis or LBJ. 

That's the type of gap between IQ and Trae. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1