• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022 Offseason Ramblings

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Will be interesting to see how the mental health one shakes out.  Obviously, a big part of the Simmons debacle was that he would not let himself be evaluated by team medical professionals which isn't really an option for players with physical injuries.  I would guess the NBA owners won't approve anything that would let players claim they should be paid while not playing without the ability to have the player independently evaluated.  That is hard enough to deal with for employers with unpaid leave let alone while writing a $30M check to someone like Simmons after he has made it clear he doesn't want to be part of your franchise.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Will be interesting to see how the mental health one shakes out.  Obviously, a big part of the Simmons debacle was that he would not let himself be evaluated by team medical professionals which isn't really an option for players with physical injuries.  I would guess the NBA owners won't approve anything that would let players claim they should be paid while not playing without the ability to have the player independently evaluated.  That is hard enough to deal with for employers with unpaid leave let alone while writing a $30M check to someone like Simmons after he has made it clear he doesn't want to be part of your franchise.

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out especially for guys seeking trades.

In what would be an unprecedented and progressive change for American pro sports, the NBA and NBPA are discussing measures to allow players to cite mental health issues as an ailment similar to physical injury, per sources with knowledge of the talks. Similar to when players treat external injuries, this new addition would give players the ability to treat their mental health concerns with the same gravity, allowing for things such as the seeking of second opinions and psychiatrist visits.

via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Robert Williams just got Isaiah Thomas'd. 

I honestly boycotted the finals and the conference finals but I read that is where he picked it up? Is that right? Then everyone overrating him to keep it up. Ya no sleepy ain’t doin dat.

But.. good luck in the recovery youngun.

32 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I honestly boycotted the finals and the conference finals but I read that is where he picked it up? Is that right? Then everyone overrating him to keep it up. Ya no sleepy ain’t doin dat.

But.. good luck in the recovery youngun.

There were finals this year?  Sorry, my tv didn't get those channels I guess.

But iiuc the guy was told he wouldn't damage it further or w/e.  Now here we are.  GJ, Loston.

• Haha 2

Jim McCormick -- Clint Capela, Atlanta Hawks: Onyeka Okongwu is the center of the future for the Hawks. The third-year center claims some awesome advanced metrics that often align with team success, and, both his contract and age align much better with the team's superstar backcourt. With respect to Capela's fantasy value, last season's 11.1 points and 11.9 pulls to go with 1.3 blocks in 27.6 minutes per night represents the likely ceiling for this season, one where competition from Okongwu for opportunities will increase. Which is to say, he could be just fine, but there's really no shot at being special. One of the only viable paths to resetting Atlanta's position as a tax team (ahead of a hug new commitment to Murray) is moving Capela, adding more uncertainty to an old-school center with a relatively pricey draft position.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Jim McCormick -- Clint Capela, Atlanta Hawks: Onyeka Okongwu is the center of the future for the Hawks. The third-year center claims some awesome advanced metrics that often align with team success, and, both his contract and age align much better with the team's superstar backcourt. With respect to Capela's fantasy value, last season's 11.1 points and 11.9 pulls to go with 1.3 blocks in 27.6 minutes per night represents the likely ceiling for this season, one where competition from Okongwu for opportunities will increase. Which is to say, he could be just fine, but there's really no shot at being special. One of the only viable paths to resetting Atlanta's position as a tax team (ahead of a hug new commitment to Murray) is moving Capela, adding more uncertainty to an old-school center with a relatively pricey draft position.

The Fantasy guys believe that we will move Clint.  I'm not 100% sold on the thought that OO is the Center of the future.  Mainly because he's undersized. 

What would not be surprising to me... is a scenerio where we trade Clint, OO, and a pick for Ayton.. midseason. 

Even though Phoenix resigned Ayton, I didn't get real Lovey Dovey vibes.  I got a "this is what we need to do to recoup value" vibes. 

IF there's truly a internal schism with Ayton, his teammates and Monty Williams, the Suns will probably move him for a package that will be better for them ...  CP3 Knows Capela.  OO fits. the same way he fits here.

For us, it locks us in a cap position because we don't have to think about signing OO to an extension. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

What would not be surprising to me... is a scenerio where we trade Clint, OO, and a pick for Ayton.. midseason. 

I’ll get the soap 🧼.. OO a stud I can’t trade that and you won’t either once the season starts, he gonna spark wins.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

One of the only viable paths to resetting Atlanta's position as a tax team (ahead of a huge new commitment to Murray) is moving Capela, adding more uncertainty to an old-school center with a relatively pricey draft position.

This is short sighted IMO -  both Murray and OO's new contract will kick in when Bogi's contract has expired and Clint has one year left on his deal. Additional, the new TV deal and expected rise in the Cap should be taken into consideration.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I would not make that trade at all.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, I'm even just a little more happy that none of those Ayton predictions turned out... and a little more persuaded that McM likely wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the idea, assuming NBA brothers talk...

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Yeah, I'm even just a little more happy that none of those Ayton predictions turned out... and a little more persuaded that McM likely wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the idea, assuming NBA brothers talk...

Yoooo this kid is wild for this. That’s one expensive headache to deal with 

• Like 1