• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to the Hawks, Frank Kaminsky

Dejay

7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

WHY do you keep attempting to speak for me by saying "why do you want us to sign bad players?"  Never once did I say that.  I'm saying why keep hanging on to a guy that apparently for WHATEVER reason they don't want to break into the rotation.  Frank Kaminsky himself is a good pick.  No problem there.  Its the culmination of picking up all these guys because they feel Johnson isn't that dude FOR WHATEVER REASON.  I highly doubt if they break him into the rotation because of the moves they have made.

Everything you just said suggests bringing in quality depth signals that JJ won’t play.  We have to sign a third big.  It should be the best possible guy.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, terrell said:

I agree. Some fans are saying he's Dieng replacement, But Nate probably sees him as his new stretch 4 off the bench...

Bye Bye JJ's minutes....lol

The Frank Kaminsky that came out of Wisconsin was a 6-10 wing too slow to guard wings, and not so exceptional offensively that you could justify playing him... unless you drafted him, in which case, you had to try... right MJ?

If he's now grown to 7-0, he's actually a little more intriguing to me than he's ever been before.

But the injury history is too much to be persuaded he's anything more than a backup plan if they can't get someone else they've targeted.

But no, regardless, there's little chance anyone gets first crack at the second unit PF assignment ahead of Jalen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

New thought that seems more likely...

Might be the backup plan if they see Jalen's rehab's not going as hoped, and thus, not ready to start the season.

New thought building on my new thought...

Sharife's going to have to wait to see if JJ is healthy or not to learn if he's going to get offered an full NBA contract, or a 2-way. If Jalen's ready to roll, then Kaminsky gets cut, and Sharife gets a place on the 15-man... if Jalen's not, then Mo Harkless becomes the 2nd PF, and Kaminsky the 3rd.... and Sharife must wait until Jalen gets back, but then still might get that big-league contract then.

They will sign a stronger defensive option than Kaminsky to be the 3rd C, imo.

As far as I know, he has been mainly playing C, that doesn’t mean he can play PF but I think he is slow to guard the perimeter. I think he is a good signing, underrated signing, he is decent on defense and can stretch the floor. 
I don’t think that means JJ is not playing, I think they are different players and the rotation is weak, few players. JJ defense is what will say how many minutes he plays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, gurpilo said:

As far as I know, he has been mainly playing C, that doesn’t mean he can play PF but I think he is slow to guard the perimeter. I think he is a good signing, underrated signing, he is decent on defense and can stretch the floor. 
I don’t think that means JJ is not playing, I think they are different players and the rotation is weak, few players. JJ defense is what will say how many minutes he plays.

Only played 9 games last season, of course, so have to go back to 2020-21 season to get a good sample size to figure out how PHX used him.

The #1 lineup for him included Ayton, so it makes sense to consider him the PF in that... 163 minutes total...

The #2 lineup did not include Ayton... 25 minutes total.

So, yeah, it's clear PHX regarded him as both.

His signing does not make sense if he's going to be considered primarily as a 3rd C... he's not a defensive asset.

His signing makes all the sense in the world if he's primarily considered a backup plan if Jalen isn't ready to start the season... but/and as long as we have Justin Holiday, BogBog in that second unit, that means Mo's going to be the default second unit PF... which is a role he's had in the past, and might even be where he's going to be most productive for the remainder of his career. Translation... Kaminsky's hope of sticking relies on (a) his own health obviously and (b) Jalen's health or lack thereof.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We don’t have any real offensive bigs outside of JC

Jalen called to argue. I said "He didn't really mean it."

Harkless is the question mark... once again, a health question mark, and truly, he's had a horrendous last two years when he was on the floor... so, not beyond the realm of possibility that Tank beats him out, but not likely either for a team that supposedly wanted to improve drastically on defense.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

He will help us in a reserve role to fill whichever need occurs at either PF or C.

If his contract is guaranteed, I'll admit I was wrong.

If his contract is not guaranteed, I'll admit I was right. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I can see Frank being our 3rd center and a reasonable fit for some minutes with OO17.  OO takes the toughest defensive assignment (especially if mobility is an issue) and on offense Frank won’t occupy the same space as OO.  A bit of a reverse of JC and Cap (where the bigger guy is the stretch guy).

I agree that he is a fit next to OO who can now be the center on offense and Kamisky the stretch 4, and vice versa when it comes to defense.

My only reservation is that means he is outplaying JJ for rotation minutes which I hope doesn’t happen. I really want Frank to be the 5th/6th big man at best, behind JJ and/or Harkless

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, sturt said:

If his contract is guaranteed, I'll admit I was wrong.

If his contract is not guaranteed, I'll admit I was right. 😉

Looks like his contract is fully guaranteed (per Spotrac)

Frank Kaminsky signed a 1 year / $2,463,490 contract with the Atlanta Hawks, including $2,463,490 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,463,490. In 2022-23, Kaminsky will earn a base salary of $2,463,490, while carrying a cap hit of $1,836,090 and a dead cap value of $1,836,090.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Looks like his contract is fully guaranteed (per Spotrac)

Frank Kaminsky signed a 1 year / $2,463,490 contract with the Atlanta Hawks, including $2,463,490 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,463,490. In 2022-23, Kaminsky will earn a base salary of $2,463,490, while carrying a cap hit of $1,836,090 and a dead cap value of $1,836,090.

2022-07-09_21-57-55.png

(Zooming out and just thinking objectively, it would be pretty foolish to guarantee a player with 4 years of significant injury history. Not saying it won't happen, but it flies in the face of logic.)