• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to the Hawks, Frank Kaminsky

Dejay

Does veteran minimum count against the cap?

The answer to this is yes, but not in the way that might be expected. The NBA wants to protect its veteran players that have made a career out of playing basketball. In order to do this, the league had to find a way to stop teams from signing a bunch of younger players with smaller cap hits.

The way that this is done is that all players signed on the veteran minimum will result in the same cap hit regardless of their paycheck for years accrued. This means that the cap hit is just under $1.7 million even if a team pays a player the salary of $2.6 million minimum for having 10 or more years experience.

Frank has 7 years in the league so I believe his contract will be for $2,463,490 but it’ll only count $1.7 million against the cap. 
Good deal the guy can play when healthy.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

nice cheap replacement of Gallo's 3 point shooting.

I agree. Some fans are saying he's Dieng replacement, But Nate probably sees him as his new stretch 4 off the bench...

Bye Bye JJ's minutes....lol

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The question is WHEN does Jalen Johnson get a chance to break into the roster.  Look, if they not gonna play him, trade him.

He's only in his 2nd year and he's unpolished. Give it some time.

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

The question is WHEN does Jalen Johnson get a chance to break into the roster.  Look, if they not gonna play him, trade him.

Even if Jalen is a primary backup, we still need as much quality depth as possible.  What if there is an injury?  

Guys need to earn their time on the court.  Play the best lineups possible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Even if Jalen is a primary backup, we still need as much quality depth as possible.  What if there is an injury?  

Guys need to earn their time on the court.  Play the best lineups possible.  

Trade him.

2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Trade him.

No.  Are you saying we should sign lower quality backups to make sure Nate plays Jalen?  That sounds like a bad plan.

What separates good franchise from bad ones is the higher tier vet mins play for the good teams.  We want as many legit NBA bench players as possible.  

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

No.  Are you saying we should sign lower quality backups to make sure Nate plays Jalen?  That sounds like a bad plan.

What separates good franchise from bad ones is the higher tier vet mins play for the good teams.  We want as many legit NBA bench players as possible.  

I'm saying that every guy the Hawks drafted in the 1st round under Travis got a opportunity to break into the rotation.  Apparently they don't think Jalen is ready, good enough,  whatever the reason, it don't matter.  The dude was a projected top 3 pick.  You don't sit a guy like that unless you don't like him, so trade him.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm saying that every guy the Hawks drafted in the 1st round under Travis got a opportunity to break into the rotation.  Apparently they don't think Jalen is ready, good enough,  whatever the reason, it don't matter.  The dude was a projected top 3 pick.  You don't sit a guy like that unless you don't like him, so trade him.

Until you have seen him in practice, up close.. you don't know what the coaches saw.  That's what makes your take such nonsense.  You are saying he was projected top 3??  Really.. why wasn't he picked there?

Another case of Hawks fans believing a guy is infallible simply because we drafted him. 

RIP Payne.

• Like 1

Just now, Hawkmoor said:

I'm saying that every guy the Hawks drafted in the 1st round under Travis got a opportunity to break into the rotation.  Apparently they don't think Jalen is ready, good or enough, don't matter.  The dude was a projected top 3 pick.  You don't sit a guy like that unless you don't like him, so trade him.

Jalen was also drafted after we made an ECF appearance, not when we were starting Alex Len. He was a greener pick on a win now team.  

At least wait for the actual season to start to see what actually happens.  

I still don’t get why you would want us to sign bad players.  You want Alex Len as the backup?  Your disappointment suggests we should deliberately sign worse players.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Jalen was also drafted after we made an ECF appearance, not when we were starting Alex Len. He was a greener pick on a win now team.  

At least wait for the actual season to start to see what actually happens.  

I still don’t get why you would want us to sign bad players.  You want Alex Len as the backup?  Your disappointment suggests we should deliberately sign worse players.  

WHY do you keep attempting to speak for me by saying "why do you want us to sign bad players?"  Never once did I say that.  I'm saying why keep hanging on to a guy that apparently for WHATEVER reason they don't want to break into the rotation.  Frank Kaminsky himself is a good pick.  No problem there.  Its the culmination of picking up all these guys because they feel Johnson isn't that dude FOR WHATEVER REASON.  I highly doubt if they break him into the rotation because of the moves they have made.

Edited by Hawkmoor