• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

We played like straight booty that half and honestly held it together.

As usual, teams are red-hot from 3 against us, whether contested or open.

Im kind of glad Olynyk made that last 3 pointer, because I need our guys to stay locked in coming out of the half. Utah is not playing THAT much better than us, we just continue to bail them out. But if we buckle down, we can come back and blow the doors off this one. It’s right there

• Like 2

Just now, NBASupes said:

They really can't score if you defend well but you gotta defend well

It makes it hard to defend them, when their 4 and 5 man can jack up 3s and make them at a decent clip, with Markkanen being a very versatile scorer.

I see why they're so hard to play now.  All of their starting 5 can shoot the 3.  Conley is the old vet who can set people up.  And Clarkson simply looks to score.

Then you got 4 guys off the bench who also know how to score, with Kessler being the bruiser center in the middle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carmine said:

We can't clamp teams with Trae out there

If that's true, how did Trae manage to be +1 for the game?

Murray is -15 tonight.

The only time the Hawks have made some sort of run or held the fort, was when Trae was in the game.  And it's not because of his offense tonight either.

Sometimes, narratives change from game to game.  The defense has been best with Trae in the game.  The offense too, despite his abysmal shooting.

• Premium Member

I’ve paused and rewatched the last 2 wide open 3’s by Markenan and Olynyck to see why we are giving up uncontested 3s.   In both cases the problem is that Capela is apparently too stupid to play team defense.    Twice he left his man to go help Collins guard a little guard on a drive.  In both cases Collins had it covered just fine and didn’t need any help.  Either way, Capela was too far away to help anyway.  In both cases the ball gets kicked out to Capela’s guy who is all alone.  One time it forced DeAndre to run over and guard Olynyk which left Lauri wide open.

pathetic undisciplined zero IQ basketball by  Capela.

• Like 2

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Clint has been ASS

He's altered shots and his defensive rebounding has been keeping it a one digit point differential. Defending the 3 point line is a different story. Onyeka & Jalen have been doing probably the best job on Markanen/Olynyk IMO

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Carmine said:

He's altered shots and his defensive rebounding has been keeping it a one digit point differential. Defending the 3 point line is a different story. Onyeka & Jalen have been doing probably the best job on Markanen/Olynyk IMO

He has 5 defensive rebounds. Are the players draining threes on the Hawks point  guards or centers?

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Carmine said:

I honestly enjoy watching the bench unit more than the starters just for this reason alone

You enjoyed the 1st 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when we got outscored by 10 points.

26-22 to start the 2nd without Trae. 

Trae returns with 5:40 left and score was 50-36, down 14.......but you enjoyed that? Color me confused, very confused.

5 minutes ago, shakes said:

I’ve paused and rewatched the last 2 wide open 3’s by Markenan and Olynyck to see why we are giving up uncontested 3s.   In both cases the problem is that Capela is apparently too stupid to play team defense.    Twice he left his man to go help Collins guard a little guard on a drive.  In both cases Collins had it covered just fine and didn’t need any help.  Either way, Capela was too far away to help anyway.  In both cases the ball gets kicked out to Capela’s guy who is all alone.  One time it forced DeAndre to run over and guard Olynyk which left Lauri wide open.

pathetic undisciplined zero IQ basketball by  Capela.

Capela isn't used to guarding that far out on the perimeter.

Makes you wonder if the biggest adjustment we can make in this game, is to put Collins and Okongwu on the floor together, so they can rotate out to the bigs and cover anything coming into the paint.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

You enjoyed the 1st 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when we got outscored by 10 points.

26-22 to start the 2nd without Trae. 

Trae returns with 5:40 left and score was 50-36, down 14.......but you enjoyed that? Color me confused, very confused.

I'm talking 22-23 season, not this game

• Haha 2