• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

The ownership by DJM really speaks volumes... Here are a few things I gathered:

1.   Nate and the team must be feeling the heat from this decision if DJ has to step up and be accountable. 

2. DJ went into the play thinking about the mistake he made which is why he didn't pass to Bogi, didn't pass to OO, and put up the Heave. 

3.  Nate should have seen DJ's mindstate and called a timeout to bring him back. 

4.  Nate hasn't lost DJM. 

• Like 3

The Hawks are a much better team when they are running and playing with pace. They are built for this with athletes like DJM,Hunter, JC,JJ, AJ, Capela, OO and Trae. Other than AJ none of these guys are catch and shoot guys. I can't understand why Trae can't see this. Trae can do like point guards did in the past and eat  and close out games in the 4th quarter by running pnr.  There is no excuse for JC to have only four shots in a game. The point guard has to make sure your third best player who has averaged 20/10 over a season isn't involved. Trae can't start pouting when he is reminded of this. This isn't about Trae but it is about the Hawks. A good guard knows how to balance this out. The Hawks have too much talent to be a 500% team because one player wants to run the team. Murray wasn't brought here to be a shooting guard but a co facilitator who helps in pushing pace. The few times when we have played this way we got a glimps of what we can be. We also got a glimps of what the future holds when Trae dominates the ball playing pnr. I'm tired of it , his teammates are tired of it and the headcoach is tired of it. Let's hope Trae gets the message because he may never  have a team this talented again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

The Hawks are a much better team when they are running and playing with pace. They are built for this with athletes like DJM,Hunter, JC,JJ, AJ, Capela, OO and Trae. Other than AJ none of these guys are catch and shoot guys. I can't understand why Trae can't see this. Trae can do like point guards did in the past and eat  and close out games in the 4th quarter by running pnr.  There is no excuse for JC to have only four shots in a game. The point guard has to make sure your third best player who has averaged 20/10 over a season isn't involved. Trae can't start pouting when he is reminded of this. This isn't about Trae but it is about the Hawks. A good guard knows how to balance this out. The Hawks have too much talent to be a 500% team because one player wants to run the team. Murray wasn't brought here to be a shooting guard but a co facilitator who helps in pushing pace. The few times when we have played this way we got a glimps of what we can be. We also got a glimps of what the future holds when Trae dominates the ball playing pnr. I'm tired of it , his teammates are tired of it and the headcoach is tired of it. Let's hope Trae gets the message because he may never  have a team this talented again.

It's a dance. Trae is not as good as he think he is off ball.   So when DJM is facilitating, it becomes hard for Trae.   He's not going to be Reggie Miller or Curry coming off of screens.   His dynamic is that he creates space for himself.   Trae can facilitate early.   It's at that point that DJM becomes a SG.  We have to make it so that when they are on the court together, there's synergy. 

Barbosa and Nash Style. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thank you for owning it! But we still needed the timeout.

I have been sick, and I missed the end of the game.  However, did we not have an available challenge?   Kyrie clearly pushed  DeJounte off of him and no foul was called.  That cost us the game imho.  If we could challenge, why didn't we?

Edited by Watchman
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Somebody have Glen's number they can slip to Landry?  Everything I've ever seen this guy tweet would make me a lot more confident in him as our coach than what Nate has shown time and time again.

11 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

Somebody have Glen's number they can slip to Landry?  Everything I've ever seen this guy tweet would make me a lot more confident in him as our coach than what Nate has shown time and time again.

He doesn’t qualify due to a 2 ton weight limit. :yes: 

Ps If I’m going to hell why not make it a direct flight ✈️ 

I get the thought of having momentum and not wanting a timeout but you’d need at least 2-3 more additional seconds on the clock to actually make something of that.  I think you go for the momentum play in that case but this was clearly a different scenario and didn’t give anything  except a poor, contested three.

“Feel for the game” didn’t help here Nate.  Which - side note - I also never understood because he doesn’t feel out his rotations and is extremely rigid there sometimes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

I get the thought of having momentum and not wanting a timeout but you’d need at least 2-3 more additional seconds on the clock to actually make something of that.  I think you go for the momentum play in that case but this was clearly a different scenario and didn’t give anything  except a poor, contested three.

Yup. How the heck can a team maneuver all the way down the court off a rebound with 7 seconds left. I get the strategy of not allowing them to set their D, but like you said you need 10-12 seconds.

I truly don’t get it because as a player, McMillan used to get this! Now he’s a coach and his feel for the game just left him which is strange. 2 things don’t leave a player ever.

1. Shooting

2. Feel/internal clock management

I don’t believe Nate is having fun even in his own day to day life. For the love of God Tony Ressler set this man free of his duties. He doesn’t wanna be here, it’s written on his face and we don’t want him here, at least many of us with his No scheme coaching. We will never have an identity under Nate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We will never have an identity under Nate. 

Sorry I’m quoting myself here but I read this earlier and craved a real coach like Nick Nurse.

This sounds like a real NBA coach here as opposed to Nate. You can hear the difference. The Raptors have an identity. In Atlanta, we’ve never had one, I mean we were defensive with Mookie and Deke I guess but..

Josh Lewenberg: Nurse-“Lately we’ve been lacking playing to our identity. We’re a bit disjointed right now. We’ve gotta hang in there, get to work & keep showing them what we’re talking about. Hopefully they’ll go out there & execute it. They should get tired of this pretty soon & start playing”

via Twitter JLew1050
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Sorry I’m quoting myself here but I read this earlier and craved a real coach like Nick Nurse.

This sounds like a real NBA coach here as opposed to Nate. You can hear the difference. The Raptors have an identity. In Atlanta, we’ve never had one, I mean we were defensive with Mookie and Deke I guess but..

Josh Lewenberg: Nurse-“Lately we’ve been lacking playing to our identity. We’re a bit disjointed right now. We’ve gotta hang in there, get to work & keep showing them what we’re talking about. Hopefully they’ll go out there & execute it. They should get tired of this pretty soon & start playing”

via Twitter JLew1050

What exactly is our identity though?

On 12/29/2022 at 1:45 AM, Spud2nique said:

I think I figured it out. 

Nate is sick of Trae as well and wants to get fired. That’s the only explanation. Nobody is that stupid.

Pics to prove…

Arms crossed in an intense moment, no timeout, just standing there watching. 

Ya, even Nate ain’t stupid enough to not call timeout. Like I said 2 things never leave a baller, the ability to SHOOT THE BALL, and INTERNAL CLOCK. Nate had the latter as a player and the former, he wants to end this relationship.

image.gif.b97cfc781086c360250f907ec135b94f.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1