• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler is likely to ruin the Hawks

NBASupes

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

Travis did not say "we need to move on from Trae Young" he simply posited the idea that the haul we could get from Trae would set us up for years and also help the defense be more consistent with Trae gone. He never said we need to move him or we're better off without him. Sadly for Travis all that Trae heard was "what if we traded Ice Trae?" and as I said before Trae Young has literally no forgiveness in his body. He is just like Jordan in that mentality. If he thinks you did him wrong even if you did not then are you basically dead to him from that point forward.

Whether Travis directly said "we need to move on from Trae Young",  or " lets explore trading Trae Young to see what we can get", the result would have been the same, moving on from Trae Young had they DID trade him.  The semantics don't matter which is why Young was upset and Schlenk got bounced.  A divorce is a divorce and means moving on, regardless of the semantics of how its said.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's becoming clearer we have to have a coach that Trae respects but also will call him out publicly.  It might be ugly at first but it'll pay off.  I'm now thinking Sam Cassell is that guy.   

You'll probably want a coach that is well respected.     Not necessarily that Trae respects.   Too bad we can't get Phil Jackson. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

There has got to be a “new” Phil Jackson out there somewhere. We just need to find him. 

It's interesting.   Phil caught Jordan when he was already Jordan and Phil was a new coach.   I think the team did something that was good.. they had previously traded Oakley for Cartwright.   A trade that on paper didn't make a lot of sense, but Philosophically, it told Jordan that you were not running this team. Lebron has changed the player/GM dynamic and now you have all of these players coming after Lebron trying to do the same thing. 

Right now, we have to concede that Trae is running this show.  Nick being the owners son is a far greater Trump card than anything else that can be done here.   Trae would be a fool to Leave Atlanta because he won't get this much say anywhere else in the league.   Not even OKC.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 1/14/2023 at 2:23 PM, JeffS17 said:

Every new piece of media around this team reinforces my thought that Ressler is trying to position to sell.  Making the playoffs is critically important from a business perspective because you are able to bring in more revenue and show higher margins on operations.  And I'm sure teams pick up on this, so it's going to be very sad when this family mortgages the future of our team to cash out.

What you're saying makes total sense....  I said on a different thread that it doesn't matter to him what happens with this franchise because he's in a win/win situation.  He can sell it at any time and double what he paid for it.  Now that I'm thinking about it, yeah...

This is also something else you see in the corporate world when a company gets ready to sell - trimming cost and keeping the lights on until the sale.  His son also gets to experiment as long as he doesn't "break" anything.

Just a bit of speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Enabling Traes diva behavior is going to be very bad for this team long term.  I find him harder and harder to root for despite his immense offensive talent.  The last couple jerseys Ive bought were OO and JJ.  Enjoy pulling for guys who are appreciative of the opportunity and putting their best effort in all night.  These Trae stories are really putting a bad taste in my mouth and the organization is bending to his every want.

We also have to take all of this with a grain of salt.  There are agendas being played out with every leak from the media.  If you're a Travis guy, and you hate Nick Ressler for being a Trae stan, you'll spew the worst of him to the media. 

I'm not saying he isn't a diva, just saying he probably isn't as good as we think nor as bad as these story make him appear. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JTB said:

What about the part on bogi and JC are jealous because believe they are as good as Trae ?….lol

Are both now possible to be traded and what’s the chances of capela being traded?

They don't think that. Bogi definitely thinks he can still start for someone and JC legit has an issue with having no real role on offense. But that's not being jealous of Trae just fighting for what they think they are due if that makes sense.

We've been trying to trade Bogi. Despite his defense being bad he is still a 40% three point shooter on good enough volume that every team would want that. The problem is the asking price we are asking and Bogi's knee. Thankfully the knee has held up. 

I think Capela is gone this summer. OO has done enough to impress Nick and Landry to give him the starting job UNLESS they can trade for Embiid or KAT. Either way, Capela is going to be moved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They don't think that. Bogi definitely thinks he can still start for someone and JC legit has an issue with having no real role on offense. But that's not being jealous of Trae just fighting for what they think they are due if that makes sense.

We've been trying to trade Bogi. Despite his defense being bad he is still a 40% three point shooter on good enough volume that every team would want that. The problem is the asking price we are asking and Bogi's knee. Thankfully the knee has held up. 

I think Capela is gone this summer. OO has done enough to impress Nick and Landry to give him the starting job UNLESS they can trade for Embiid or KAT. Either way, Capela is going to be moved.

I didn't want to say anything because I tend to read too much into things and overanalyze, but I noticed a different energy and body language with Cap this year.  His play has been the same, but there has been a little less "edge" on his attitude.  I've been wondering since the beginning of the season if he was officially briefed (or unofficially made aware) of trade rumors involving him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Watchman said:

Schlenk, I take back every negative thing I ever said or thought about you.  You had figured out the real problem and knew what needed to be done.  Howevrer, basketball logic was overruled by gate receipts, even though that product will never win it all.

THIS. Everything you said it spot on.  I wondered for two seasons about what Schlenk felt about Young and finally got my answer. The way the Hawks have been with Young as the central point does not mesh with what Schlenk came from in Golden State. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Wretch said:

I didn't want to say anything because I tend to read too much into things and overanalyze, but I noticed a different energy and body language with Cap this year.  His play has been the same, but there has been a little less "edge" on his attitude.  I've been wondering since the beginning of the season if he was officially briefed (or unofficially made aware) of trade rumors involving him.

it isn't a secret in the locker room that Trae/Nick/Landry are running things. Capela knows that OO is the future going forwards (sans Embiid/KAT trade) at center and with his contract it means he will be traded. Trae kept Capela from being traded for Ayton but that won't last past this offseason. Capela knows he will be gone. There's definitely a market for Capela.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

From the Fields/Korver article in the other thread 

I read that too. As I said, it is all three of them but Nick is the only voice that truly matters. That same article talks a lot about "player empowerment" which, I have to say, points out in their own words just how much power one Hawk player has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Thanks! That’s interesting….so just from your own personal beliefs you don’t see Trae stopping a Capela trade like he did this past offseason?

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

it isn't a secret in the locker room that Trae/Nick/Landry are running things. Capela knows that OO is the future going forwards (sans Embiid/KAT trade) at center and with his contract it means he will be traded. Trae kept Capela from being traded for Ayton but that won't last past this offseason. Capela knows he will be gone. There's definitely a market for Capela.

Ok you answered my question. Thanks .

im still curious as to why suddenly Trae can’t stop a capela trade. 

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

We also have to take all of this with a grain of salt.  There are agendas being played out with every leak from the media.  If you're a Travis guy, and you hate Nick Ressler for being a Trae stan, you'll spew the worst of him to the media. 

I'm not saying he isn't a diva, just saying he probably isn't as good as we think nor as bad as these story make him appear. 

More Trae enabling, lmao

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

Ok you answered my question. Thanks .

im still curious as to why suddenly Trae can’t stop a capela trade. 

Because if we can get a true star player at center Capela has no place here. If we don't get one then just due to his salary and OO is ready to take over it means we can use Capela to upgrade at another position. Probably PF since there would be a gaping hole there with JC gone.

• Like 2

From the AJC yesterday:

*The draft day decision to select Luka Doncic and trade him to the Mavericks for Young will always be under scrutiny. Doncic, the Rookie of the Year in 2019, has been a three-time all-star and a three-time all-NBA first-team player. Young is a two-time all-star and made the all-NBA third team once. The Hawks also got a first-round pick in the trade and selected Cam Reddish, who was traded in this third season.

Among other issues listed:

The relationship between Schlenk and Young has deteriorated over recent months. Issues began following Game 2 of the playoff series with the Heat last year. In the return to Atlanta, Young chartered a private flight and did not inform the team, according to several people familiar with the situation. In the middle of the playoffs, Young was fined.

There have also been issues with head coach Nate McMillan, who according to several people familiar with the situation has tried to step down this season. McMillan signed a four-year contract in July of 2021 after leading the Hawks to the conference finals as interim head coach, taking over for Lloyd Pierce. McMillan was convinced to stay on.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

From the AJC yesterday:

*The draft day decision to select Luka Doncic and trade him to the Mavericks for Young will always be under scrutiny. Doncic, the Rookie of the Year in 2019, has been a three-time all-star and a three-time all-NBA first-team player. Young is a two-time all-star and made the all-NBA third team once. The Hawks also got a first-round pick in the trade and selected Cam Reddish, who was traded in this third season.

Among other issues listed:

The relationship between Schlenk and Young has deteriorated over recent months. Issues began following Game 2 of the playoff series with the Heat last year. In the return to Atlanta, Young chartered a private flight and did not inform the team, according to several people familiar with the situation. In the middle of the playoffs, Young was fined.

There have also been issues with head coach Nate McMillan, who according to several people familiar with the situation has tried to step down this season. McMillan signed a four-year contract in July of 2021 after leading the Hawks to the conference finals as interim head coach, taking over for Lloyd Pierce. McMillan was convinced to stay on.

Strange to go into the other issues for Trae but ignore the fact that Luka ran off an NBA championship coach and several other players over the last few years (Porzingus, Brunson, etc.) and has been seen repeatedly screaming at his new coach during games.  If you want to compare them then compare them.  Don't give us the dirt on only one of them.  (Talking to the AJC, not you Hawkmoor)

• Like 4