• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler is likely to ruin the Hawks

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Threezus said:

So i don't know if this is a coincidence or not but before Bogi came back we were 12-10 and we all agreed the only real thing we were missing was a few good 3 point sharp shooters to help out.   Which i think Bogi is but since he came back we are 9-12 and i personally think he disrupts the flow a bit when he starts doing more of his iso than being a 3 point shooting addition.  Then you add in his below avg defense 95% of the time and i think he might be doing more harm than good at times.    If we could get more guys that are catch and shoot guys that play avg or so D instead of a guy like Bogi that prefers to make more plays himself i think we would be better off.   

I honestly feel Huerter would have been a much better keep than Bogi on this team in style of play and how well they would play off a Trae and Murray. 

We all think that, but we didn't want to give someone a pick to take Bogi with his bum knee.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

One more thing.  The reason I'm explaining this is to give insight in to how the Hawks are approaching management and the players.  For instance, why waste time contemplating going into the luxury tax as a fan if you know how the Hawks are approaching this from a financial point of view that may counter going into the luxury tax. 

The Atlanta Braves paid Acuna and Albies under market value for instance. One of the reasons is the battery hadn't start performing yet.  Once the cash flow increased, the next rounds of contracts got bigger for their players. They have been transparent about it.  What the Hawks are doing is neither good or bad, its just that you have to have insight into what they are possibly doing so that you as a fan don't get worked up over stuff without the proper perspective.  As long as the Hawks are increasing in value, the investors will hang on to the franchise.  If its starts dipping or other factors come into play from the investors, then they will sell.

There is no way you can AA as a GM in the NBA unless you have guys like Tim Duncan. 

31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There is no way you can AA as a GM in the NBA unless you have guys like Tim Duncan. 

You can't undervalue unless a player agrees, but you have a choice about going into the luxury tax.  I looked into this further.  The key is how the purchase of the Hawks was set up.  If Ressler purchased it privately outside of his firm, @AHF and @JTB would be correct in their accessment that Ressler is own his own about how long he wants to keep or sell the Hawks.  If the private equity firm is the principal on the money transaction, then the firms's contracts and obligations would be the overriding factor in whether he has to sell.  Either way, Ressler appears to have been running the franchise as if the firm is in control. It could be thats just how he runs the Hawks.  I do know that there IS a private equity firm that has a direct stake in the Hawks outside of even the one that Ressler manages. I keep up with stocks and investments, which is why I know some aspects of how the Hawks are set up.

Edited by Hawkmoor

Our young, new GM is a super fan - - Is this correct?  If it's true, he's not going to want to do anything to harm his very own Hawk team.  His dad owns the Hawks.  This son is not stupid.  If he was, dad wouldn't risk this much $$$ investment for his son to waste.  Owner didn't get to be wealthy by being stupid. 

We here on the Squawk may not see eye to eye with our new GM.  So what!  When have we all agreed, 100%, about anything?  Old wise heads want to move slowly but surely.  Youth wants to do right now with a big, enthusiastic push to "Get 'er done!"  Can't both be right - - or can it?

Some want to fire Nate right now - - But we're winning!  Some want to trade Collins right now - - But we're winning!  Trading for Murray was a terrible trade - - Or was it?  Hawks signed Favors to a 10 day contract - - But Nate will not play him.  He's not part of the 9 man rotation.  Why did we sign him?

So many things to ponder.  My one thought is

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 3

Hey guys, just want to clarify. 
Landry Fields is still the GM, no?

Nicky is Director of Basketball and Business Operations. 

Different focus areas but Fields is not answering to anyone except Big Tony and maybe President and CEO Steve Koonin.

Correct me if I am wrong.

23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Different focus areas but Fields is not answering to anyone except Big Tony and maybe President and CEO Steve Koonin.

My bad.  You are correct.  I gave Nicky the wrong title.  Did I goof up anything else?

:bb:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yea but little Nicky is a little higher on the ladder than Fields.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You are wrong. Nick Ressler is 100% running basketball operations. Fields reports to him by default. Ressler has a small cadre of former college friends or NBA players/ex players he trusts. That's the only voices be heard. Ressler, Fields and Trae Young are running the Hawks with zero safety net. 

The only positives I have been able to draw from this is that Trae wants to win now, Nick Ressler wants to win now and Landry Fields is said to be really good at pulling people together to get more of a consensus than one single voice. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I work with private equity every day lol.  Ressler’s private equity firm is not an investor in the Hawks so it is not relevant.  Unless I am mistaken, the Hawks are owned by Ressler, not by private equity.  He has no legal obligation to sell like you claimed earlier, @Hawkmoor.

Ressler might choose to follow similar principles to a PE firm’s philosophies.  I’m not familiar with his firm but I agree they are all in to invest and flip.  Buy low, sell high as is the ideal for many types of investments.  

What I’ve seen from this Nick Ressler garbage, however, is more like a private company than a PE firm.  Think Trump and how all his kids are the titular lead executives for so many of his companies (even if they aren’t actually doing the work).  No good PE firm would put their unqualified kid in charge of a major investment.  But Jerry Jones would, etc.  That is common for privately held companies - not for publicly held or PE owned companies.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I work with private equity every day lol.  Ressler’s private equity firm is not an investor in the Hawks so it is not relevant.  Unless I am mistaken, the Hawks are owned by Ressler, not by private equity.  He has no legal obligation to sell like you claimed earlier, @Hawkmoor.

You are paraphrasing my last post TO YOU.  I stated that Ressler's firm might not be the principal on the contract, and I stated that I keep up with stocks and investments.  You then barge in and suddenly you work with private equity, lmao.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You are paraphrasing my last post TO YOU.  I stated that Ressler's firm might not be the principal on the contract, and I stated that I keep up with stocks and investments.  You then barge in and suddenly you work with private equity, lmao.

I responded to your response to me on the last page.  I have worked with the President of a PE firm on a daily basis for the last 4+ years.  I fully acknowledge that is anecdotal because not all PE firms are built the same but as I said above the Nick Ressler promotion is not part of the general PE blueprint.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I responded to your response to me on the last page.  I have worked with the President of a PE firm on a daily basis for the last 4+ years.  I fully acknowledge that is anecdotal because not all PE firms are built the same but as I said above the Nick Ressler promotion is not part of the general PE blueprint.

Thats good. Back to basketball.  Whatever happens, the Hawks need experienced leadership on the basketball side.  Landry Fields is a new GM.  Its gonna be a interesting off season to say the least.  It might even be interesting right around the trade deadline.  I like Ressler as a business man. Very good like Arthur Blank.  Koonin makes me laugh though.  He is a marketer and does a very good job at that, lmao.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Thats good. Back to basketball.  Whatever happens, the Hawks need experienced leadership on the basketball side.  Landry Fields is a new GM.  Its gonna be a interesting off season to say the least.  It might even be interesting right around the trade deadline.  I like Ressler as a business man. Very good like Arthur Blank.  Koonin makes me laugh though.  He is a marketer and does a very good job at that, lmao.

The reason I bring it up was the same you did - to talk about the likelihood of and indicators of an imminent flip.  On the basketball side, Fields is an unproven GM but hopefully will make some smart decisions here because we are at a critical stage of our development.  The right moves vs the wrong ones are going to make a huge difference for the next 5 years.

Koonin is great.  He has been a fantastic hire for his role, imo.

2 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Interesting audio from Ric Bucher on Travis / Trae -

Interesting is an understatement.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Interesting audio from Ric Bucher on Travis / Trae -

I ain’t even gonna lie… I don’t wanna believe this. I’m taking the wait and see approach with the new FO instead of being all doom and gloom but this seems like they’re making up a reason to justify removing Schlenk. If the rumor is true then it is what it is… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

The reason I bring it up was the same you did - to talk about the likelihood of and indicators of an imminent flip.  On the basketball side, Fields is an unproven GM but hopefully will make some smart decisions here because we are at a critical stage of our development.  The right moves vs the wrong ones are going to make a huge difference for the next 5 years.

Koonin is great.  He has been a fantastic hire for his role, imo.

Interesting is an understatement.

I was trying to quote the Schlenk trading Young twitter post.  Young is at the center of every drama whether you like him or not, lmao.  Koonin is good. Its just he makes me laugh because his job is to put out noise. He is good at it.  Always upbeat, but thats his job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Q45T said:

I ain’t even gonna lie… I don’t wanna believe this. I’m taking the wait and see approach with the new FO instead of being all doom and gloom but this seems like they’re making up a reason to justify removing Schlenk. If the rumor is true then it is what it is… 

It lines up with my statement that MAYBE Trae WASN'T who Schlenk wanted to draft in the first place. I made a post stating that it was strange that a new GM would draft a unproven player like Trae (at the time) over a guy who proved himself in Euro league (Luka). Both fit the Golden State profile so you would have banked that Schlenk would go with the proven player.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

It lines up with my statement that MAYBE Trae WASN'T who Schlenk wanted to draft in the first place. I made a post stating that it was strange that a new GM would draft a unproven player like Trae (at the time) over a guy who proved himself in Euro league (Luka). Both fit the Golden State profile so you would have banked that Schlenk would go with the proven player.

There are very few players who I would call truly proven until they play in the NBA.  We’ve seen hype trains for every conceivable type of player hit and miss.  For every Luka there are guys who were “proven” Euros and failed.  For every HS star, there are a mix of successes and failures.  I do agree with you that Luka was *more* proven but that didn’t stop two teams from passing on him for less proven players than him or Trae.  GMs passed on Jordan and Bird despite what they had proven and did the same with Luka.

Now that doesn’t mean you are wrong.  Schlenk may well have preferred Luka.  I did.  But the mere fact that he had a track record of great success in Europe doesn’t make it a lock he would get picked by a non-compromised GM before Ayton, Bagley, or even Trae.  (Though clearly he did go before Trae because the price to get Luka was Trae plus the #10 pick in the next year’s draft).  For TS, it is the pick plus Trae vs Luka that is to be debated.  I’ll probably need to hear from Schlenk when he isn’t attached to Trae before I feel like I’ll have the full story.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

There are very few players who I would call truly proven until they play in the NBA.  We’ve seen hype trains for every conceivable type of player hit and miss.  For every Luka there are guys who were “proven” Euros and failed.  For every HS star, there are a mix of successes and failures.  I do agree with you that Luka was *more* proven but that didn’t stop two teams from passing on him for less proven players than him or Trae.  GMs passed on Jordan and Bird despite what they had proven and did the same with Luka.

Now that doesn’t mean you are wrong.  Schlenk may well have preferred Luka.  I did.  But the mere fact that he had a track record of great success in Europe doesn’t make it a lock he would get picked by a non-compromised GM before Ayton, Bagley, or even Trae.  (Though clearly he did go before Trae because the price to get Luka was Trae plus the #10 pick in the next year’s draft).  For TS, it is the pick plus Trae vs Luka that is to be debated.  I’ll probably need to hear from Schlenk when he isn’t attached to Trae before I feel like I’ll have the full story.

You are correct on that entire accessment.  I'm just looking at the Murray situation and my feeling is that it possibly lines up going back to the Luka for Trae trade IF what Ric Bucher is saying is true. The reason I'm saying this is this:  If Trae was Schlenk's pick the entire time, trading Trae now would make him look very bad in trading for him in the first place.  If Trae was never his guy, it makes sense to explore trading him.  Its just speculation.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1