• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler is likely to ruin the Hawks

NBASupes

• Premium Member
On 1/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, macdaddy said:

I get that Nate stepping down might look bad for a franchise undergoing this type of turmoil but at the same time it would get them out of his contract.  So that seems like a really really bad decision to convince him to stay.   Unless he was willing to step down for a buyout or something. 

there aint a damn head coach in the world that wants this job right now. they're probably strong arming him to stay on because they can't find anyone else.

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

break down one scenario where that happens 

Scenario:

Trae and Murray become one of the most consistent star backcourts in the NBA, with both guys averaging 20+ ppg and over 6+ assists.  Also, Trae continues his stellar 2nd half of the season play that he's shown the last 2 years, by shooting around 40% from 3, and 47+% from the field, while dropping 28 and 9 on average every night.

DeAndre Hunter also sheds his inconsistent ways, by becoming a solid 15 - 17 ppg a night guy, who plays good defense and shoots 40% from 3.

The kids, AJ Griffin and Jalen Johnson become sparkplugs off the bench.  AJ with his deadeye shooting.  JJ with his high flying energy on both ends of the court.

Bogdanovic also finds his stroke, and starts shooting the ball very well from 3.

And with the Hawks streaking, Collins and Capela stay together, and become one of the nicest 1 - 2 defensive frontline guys in the game.

As a 6 seed ( 1/2 game away from being a 5 seed ), the Hawks draw the Philadelphia 76ers.  Embiid has PSTD like flashbacks to the playoff series 2 years ago, and tries his best to ball out.  But it will be James Harden who goes cold, and becomes the scapegoat for the Sixers losing once again to the Hawks in 6 games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Scenario:

Trae and Murray become one of the most consistent star backcourts in the NBA, with both guys averaging 20+ ppg and over 6+ assists.  Also, Trae continues his stellar 2nd half of the season play that he's shown the last 2 years, by shooting around 40% from 3, and 47+% from the field, while dropping 28 and 9 on average every night.

DeAndre Hunter also sheds his inconsistent ways, by becoming a solid 15 - 17 ppg a night guy, who plays good defense and shoots 40% from 3.

The kids, AJ Griffin and Jalen Johnson become sparkplugs off the bench.  AJ with his deadeye shooting.  JJ with his high flying energy on both ends of the court.

Bogdanovic also finds his stroke, and starts shooting the ball very well from 3.

And with the Hawks streaking, Collins and Capela stay together, and become one of the nicest 1 - 2 defensive frontline guys in the game.

As a 6 seed ( 1/2 game away from being a 5 seed ), the Hawks draw the Philadelphia 76ers.  Embiid has PSTD like flashbacks to the playoff series 2 years ago, and tries his best to ball out.  But it will be James Harden who goes cold, and becomes the scapegoat for the Sixers losing once again to the Hawks in 6 games.

On to Milwaukee, where the King of the North awaits. Giannis is his usual stellar self, while the rest of the guys, led by Jrue Holiday, keep the Bucks steady as they go.  But a Kris Middleton hasn't regained his shooting form since coming back in late January.  Trae and Murray dominate the series, and bounce the Bucks out in 6 games as well.

That will set up the matchup between Atlanta and Boston for the EC title. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

All of this so-called turmoil.  And yet, if the Hawks win tonight, that will be 4 wins in a row, and 6 wins in the last 8 games.

Be patient folks.  Don't listen to all of the noise.

I’m honestly getting exhausted being right all the time. 

• Haha 3

On 1/14/2023 at 8:32 AM, NBASupes said:

While the article was damning, I didn't judge him from it other than a Squawker who thinks he as a fan can be a GM of a multi billion dollar franchise isn't the smartest thing to do when guys like Travis are paid millions to do this. This is an extremely difficult job.

But what bother me was Koonin's interview. It told me that Ressler has no f***ing clue. You are literally in a situation where teams are trying to kill you in deals and what do you do. Say we are trying to go all in to make the f***ing playoffs. That's not what you want to hear when your future is looking a thousand times bleaker this year than last year because you made an hasty trade since your franchise player demanded you to do it. 

That was stupid. You have to look at deals for now, the future and the potential of if this goes well as well as if it goes bad. This isn't 2k. Teams aren't dying to trade you players in today's NBA. GMs are smarter than ever. 

I am truly ASG worried but maybe more worried because ASG was all about the playoff money and being profitable. I don't think Nick is even about that. I think he has this odd belief that he can 2k his way into creating a contender. Running off the lead architect is just stupid. Forcing him to trade for Murray and trade Kevin wasn't smart either. Hureter had one of the best contracts in the NBA. Was trading him even needed?

I am officially worried. I don't feel confident about our present or future. Honestly, I hated the ownership group of ASG but they let the Basketball people do the Basketball things even to our deteriment and ruin the business on the other end. Nick is ruining the Basketball and that's a damn shame.

I don't know what's next. Nick is such a want results now, I can't honestly tell you. Without Travis, I don't know what's next for us. He was so smart. Damn.

Schlenk smart? He is an abysmal failure. He had all of those draft picks and came away with basically no real stars. Even his best draft pick wasn't the best choice on the table.

2 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Schlenk smart? He is an abysmal failure. He had all of those draft picks and came away with basically no real stars. Even his best draft pick wasn't the best choice on the table.

Think of it this way.  Name all of the players you would draft instead of Trae from 2018 draft through to the present.  It's a short list: Luka, Ja, and maybe Zion.  In the NBA success is measured by your ability to get the best players in the league.

It doesn't matter that Luka is better.  We didn't take Marvin Bagley.  We essentially took Olajuwon when we could have got Jordan.  Houston missed a grand slam pick but hit a home run.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

On to Milwaukee, where the King of the North awaits. Giannis is his usual stellar self, while the rest of the guys, led by Jrue Holiday, keep the Bucks steady as they go.  But a Kris Middleton hasn't regained his shooting form since coming back in late January.  Trae and Murray dominate the series, and bounce the Bucks out in 6 games as well.

That will set up the matchup between Atlanta and Boston for the EC title. 

I'm always excited for the Hawks but y'all are having VERY recency bias.  But the reason i asked for a scenario is not because it can't happen but because we're counting on opponents to fail.  Phlly to play poorly (which i can see this one), Middleton still not being himself.  

Could it happen.   Definitely.   But it'd be nice to be the better team rather than pinning hopes on opponents mental lapses and injuries.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Think of it this way.  Name all of the players you would draft instead of Trae from 2018 draft through to the present.  It's a short list: Luka, Ja, and maybe Zion.  In the NBA success is measured by your ability to get the best players in the league.

It doesn't matter that Luka is better.  We didn't take Marvin Bagley.  We essentially took Olajuwon when we could have got Jordan.  Houston missed a grand slam pick but hit a home run.  

It's a crucial miss no matter how it is presented. But even if one ignores the whole Trae/Luka ordeal you are still left with a bad drafting track record.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Is Luka better?  I listened to this BS all yesterday.   "Trae is an allstar/all NBA calibre player but Luka is different!!".  Don't look now.. Trae is starting to play meaningful defense.   Luka is a great player and will go down as one of the greatest but will probably never win a chip... and will always blame his supporting cast for it.   Whereas Trae is going to bring Atlanta it's first chip.   Why?  Trae is willing to do what needs to be done to win.   This is the maturity that we're seeing growing in Trae.   He's blaming others less and putting the onus on himself to do what he needs to do.   IF that means deferring; he defers. If that means taking over.. He takes over. If that means taking a charge.. (depending on who's coming) he will stand in there and take a charge.  The whole Hawks fanbase cringe when it happens but he does it.  If that means playing better defense.   He plays it.  If that means working out with Curry to find out how to play better off ball... He makes that sacrifice. 

what do you hear about Luka improving his game?  Oh Yeah.. Luka lost weight... then you see him and he's still carrying weight.  He's still slow up the court.   He still takes plays off.  

I watched Luke play defense on Hunter last night.  It was the first half or so.  Luka jumped into Hunters face when Hunter got the ball for a corner three.   Hunter dribbled right past Luka.   No head fake.  No fancy dribble.  Nothing fancy at all.  He just lowered his head and dribbled right past Luka.   Of course Hunter missed the shot.   However, Luka will always be an offensive gift but he will not do what needs to be done to win and he will always finger point. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Of your list... maybe.. maybe Luka.   see my other post on Luka.  He won't win unless he is put on a superteam. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Is Luka better?  I listened to this BS all yesterday.   "Trae is an allstar/all NBA calibre player but Luka is different!!".  Don't look now.. Trae is starting to play meaningful defense.   Luka is a great player and will go down as one of the greatest but will probably never win a chip... and will always blame his supporting cast for it.   Whereas Trae is going to bring Atlanta it's first chip.   Why?  Trae is willing to do what needs to be done to win.   This is the maturity that we're seeing growing in Trae.   He's blaming others less and putting the onus on himself to do what he needs to do.   IF that means deferring; he defers. If that means taking over.. He takes over. If that means taking a charge.. (depending on who's coming) he will stand in there and take a charge.  The whole Hawks fanbase cringe when it happens but he does it.  If that means playing better defense.   He plays it.  If that means working out with Curry to find out how to play better off ball... He makes that sacrifice. 

what do you hear about Luka improving his game?  Oh Yeah.. Luka lost weight... then you see him and he's still carrying weight.  He's still slow up the court.   He still takes plays off.  

I watched Luke play defense on Hunter last night.  It was the first half or so.  Luka jumped into Hunters face when Hunter got the ball for a corner three.   Hunter dribbled right past Luka.   No head fake.  No fancy dribble.  Nothing fancy at all.  He just lowered his head and dribbled right past Luka.   Of course Hunter missed the shot.   However, Luka will always be an offensive gift but he will not do what needs to be done to win and he will always finger point. 

There is so much mileage on Luka's body already.  If I'm Dallas that's my biggest concern.  He's already slowish.  If he slows down more then making that angle cut to the hoop is going to get easier to defend.  

But i'm not counting him out.  I've tried before but he's got a lot of tools and is a shot maker.  We got the better of him last night though.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I really hope this continues for Trae.  I would have rather had him than Luka just based on last night’s game.  It’s the ISO 30% fg Trae with no defense that needs to go.  As long as it does, Trae will get the accolades he craves.  And maybe even a Championship with the Hawks.

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Of your list... maybe.. maybe Luka.   see my other post on Luka.  He won't win unless he is put on a superteam. 

I still would rather have Trae than Ja.  Luka has been better overall so far but Trae could still have a better career.  Zion, maybe if I was assured he would stay healthy but I don’t trust it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There is so much mileage on Luka's body already.  If I'm Dallas that's my biggest concern.  He's already slowish.  If he slows down more then making that angle cut to the hoop is going to get easier to defend.  

But i'm not counting him out.  I've tried before but he's got a lot of tools and is a shot maker.  We got the better of him last night though.

This is a good point.  I can see Trae playing until he is in his late 30s.  The others, not so much.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Watch for it in our next game against Dallas.  We peeped his secret.   When we put DJ on him, DJ and CC are smart defenders who learn their opponents.   DJ got into Luka's grill before the ball got there and made him work to get the ball.  It threw his offense off because DJ was on him like stink on doo doo.  It was playground defense.  I've seen it and done it.  You faceguard the best player.   Make him work for everything.   When DJ did that... Luka's offense disappeared.   

Clint also.  When Clint first got into the game, Luka was giving it to Clint.   Clint looked like BBQ'd chicken.  However, when Clint was inserted in the second half... Luka couldn't get a score on Clint.  There was 1 play where Luka got passed Clint.. put the shot up and Clint magically showed up with the block...  JC fouled somebody on that play (Didn't see it) so the Block didn't count  but we were adapting to his offense and matching it with good defense. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

It’s the ISO 30% fg Trae with no defense that needs to go.

I'll say this.  Trae won't always be 30% in the Iso game...and more importantly, there will be some situations where we need ISOTRAE.

IsoTrae has a floater and a lob.

I betcha haven't noticed this...   It's been a few games since we've seen the logo three.  That's the shit we need less of.   I know he can hit it.  The Whole league knows.  BUt you have to pick and choose your points better.  

23 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

It's a crucial miss no matter how it is presented. But even if one ignores the whole Trae/Luka ordeal you are still left with a bad drafting track record.

OK, so there were about 75 lottery picks the past few years and we got a top 3 guy out of those picks.  That is winning the draft.  Luka is clouding people's judgement.  BTW Dejounte Murray doesn't want to get traded here without Trae, so in a sense picking Trae also landed us Murray.  

You can't win in the NBA without a pick like Trae, he is worth multiple draft picks.  Hunter, Collins, Okongwu, Huerter, and AJ are all starters or rotation players of significance.  The only big miss was Cam and we made the fortunate move of trading him for an asset before his value went down to zero.  

TS did not have a perfect track record, but nothing close to an abysmal failure.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'll say this.  Trae won't always be 30% in the Iso game...and more importantly, there will be some situations where we need ISOTRAE.

IsoTrae has a floater and a lob.

I betcha haven't noticed this...   It's been a few games since we've seen the logo three.  That's the shit we need less of.   I know he can hit it.  The Whole league knows.  BUt you have to pick and choose your points better.  

By paragraph:

1.  I know Trae can do better ISO.  And we will need that sometimes like I said.  But iso should not be his default.  Pick n roll with off all movement is his strength.  And now we are starting to use it more again.1

2.  Now that the floater is working again the lob has picked back up because defenses have to respect straws shot again.

3.  I have noticed that actually.  Didn’t know you thought so low of me D.  Only been hanging out here with you for over 20 years.  But seriously, Trae is picking his spots better and it shows.  The team is more involved and doing less eye rolling.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, Diesel said:

DJ got into Luka's grill before the ball got there and made him work to get the ball. 

I think this was the biggest adjustment - he had to work to just get the ball back instead of just standing around waiting for it.

• Like 1