• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler is likely to ruin the Hawks

NBASupes

• 1 month later...

This is nothing new when it comes to the Hawks. Anyone remember Mike Gearon, Jr? We all know how big a crybaby he was when he no longer had a say in day-to-day team decisions. How much lengths he would go to run off Danny Ferry. Well Nick Ressler could be the second coming of Mike Gearon, Jr. And if that's the case, the Hawks are in trouble!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Q: How much of a voice does your son, Nick, have in some of the decision-making of the organization and running some of the basketball operations?

A: I fully acknowledge, for whatever it’s worth, that my son, who I’m so proud of doing a great job, has a voice in the organization. But by no means does he make any of these decisions. Again, when I don’t give an interview about what happened, it seems people create things, and I’m trying to put those to bed. So the simple answer is, Nick works in the organization, helps me in both the business and basketball operations, helps me understand the goings-on of the organization, if you will, helps me evaluate what we’re doing. But he sits in the same role (I do). He’s in ownership, but is full time to the organization. So the simple answer, is ‘No, he’s not in charge of any decision-making.’ Our GM and our assistant GM and our prior leadership was in charge, then our current leadership is in charge, now.

The idea of even responding to this for anyone that works here or knows, I don’t know who came up with that. It’s actually untrue. And a bit unfair, actually, to Nick and to me. You should accuse me, which by the way, I’m delighted with making bad decisions. And you have every right or every fan, certainly every writer, every member of the press, has every right to criticize the decisions. But please don’t suggest that I delegated any authority to anyone because it’s just not true. So yes, I decided that our front office wasn’t working well. So I changed it. And today, for what it’s worth, I couldn’t be more delighted. Our new front office felt that we should change and make a change in coaching for a whole bunch of reasons that I thought made perfect sense to me after hearing them. And for what it’s worth, we made that change as well. And we are as an organization, delighted with where we are for sure. So, that is exactly what occurred. And the front office, to me today, is beautifully positioned, and maybe as importantly, all rowing in the same direction, from ownership, to leadership, to coaching, to player. So, I feel like we’ve not had this level of communication throughout the organization in quite some time. I’m delighted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

People will always be better at overreacting to drama than they are at patiently waiting to hear all sides and letting things play out before judging.

Things are almost never as bad as they seem. It's best to stay neutral and objective until forced to pick a side.

I said months ago, I do not know if I will like every decision the new leadership will make, but what I respect is that they are moving in alignment with one another for better or worse. That was always a great sign, even when the gossip first started.

I am STILL holding out for us to improve in the win column, but so far, all decisions have looked good on paper. I am as optimistic about this team today as I was in the offseason. It has been a rollercoaster season, but everything we want is still in front of us.

Leave the drama alone.

I missed most of the first quarter last night (taking a nap in my old age), but my wife said that Tony Ressler (the principal owner) said that Korver and Fields along with input from Snyder would be making personnel decisions.  No mention of Nick.  I'm not sure if he named Korver first or Fields first, but my wife named Korver first.  Of course, Tony would have the final call.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

While Landry did a good job at the deadline. Losing someone as smart as Travis is not a good thing. But maybe Landry has more potential, we shall see. At the time, this just felt right and even I knew that trade wasn't moving the needle.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Watchman said:

I missed most of the first quarter last night (taking a nap in my old age), but my wife said that Tony Ressler (the principal owner) said that Korver and Fields along with input from Snyder would be making personnel decisions.  No mention of Nick.  I'm not sure if he named Korver first or Fields first, but my wife named Korver first.  Of course, Tony would have the final call.

Nick is definitely involved. That's a fact. That's why I created the thread 

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/hawks-news-tony-ressler-keeping-the-door-open-on-all-moves-including-trae-young-trade/ar-AA18dPom

All I am saying is no reference to Nick.  My wife also saw an interview with Tony, where someone asked him if Nick was running the team.  Tony got really irritated with the question and and responded sharply with a "No."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I swear Hawks fans that diss on Nick Ressler working in the FO are literal idiots. Only one team wins the championship. We could certainly do worse and be like the Knicks organization.

Y’all really want to see the worst we can be right? Not much else you can do unless you get a Matt Ishiba willing to spend eons to put an injury prone Beal and Durant together. It’s not like the Nuggets are deep into the luxury tax.

Hawks fans like Brad Rowland go off on Twitter about the stupidest things. Everyone wants to be in the tax, sure the stupid af Huerter trade is a black mark but saying Nick Ressler is the problem is like saying the Magic have a great future just because they drafted Paolo, don’t forget all the dumbass other FO they make.

Edited by theheroatl

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I swear Hawks fans that diss on Nick Ressler working in the FO are literal idiots. Only one team wins the championship. We could certainly do worse and be like the Knicks organization.

Y’all really want to see the worst we can be right? Not much else you can do unless you get a Matt Ishiba willing to spend eons to put an injury prone Beal and Durant together. It’s not like the Nuggets are deep into the luxury tax.

Hawks fans like Brad Rowland go off on Twitter about the stupidest things. Everyone wants to be in the tax, sure the stupid af Huerter trade is a black mark but saying Nick Ressler is the problem is like saying the Magic have a great future just because they drafted Paolo, don’t forget all the dumbass other FO they make.

I'm having trouble tracking the through line in this post.  Most fans who were unhappy with Nick Resller working in the front office were upset because he was assuming authority on personnel matters due to his father owning the team and that they believed this role should have gone to a more qualified basketball person.  Are you suggesting that Nick Ressler is the most qualified candidate we could get for this role or that appointing positions based on family connections is an asset to the organization?  

No one wants bad basketball people so I really don't see how appealing to the fact that some teams have terrible front offices connects to the specific issues that were raised regarding Ressler.  Likewise, I don't see anyone making the case that Nick Ressler being involved means we will spend less money than we would have had a basketball professional been hired instead.

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'll say this: Nick is pushing his dad to pay the LT and make big trades. He wants to win a title. 

This is the best argument I see for Ressler.  Essentially making the case that his Dad would otherwise be involved or that Nick might convince his father to do more for the team than a basketball exec could do and that therefore Nick stepping in is a big upgrade.  I would still prefer our owners hire basketball people and let them run the show until ownership decides to replace them (at which point their successor should run the show).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I’m continuing to believe his role is to convince dad to spend money.  I’m good with Nick for now.

if they pull off this KAT trade and we have three all stars in our starting line up and PAYING for them into the LT...we can safely say that Nick Ressler is truly helping this franchise. Not even the biggest hater could deny that.

• Like 4