• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler is likely to ruin the Hawks

NBASupes

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

From the AJC yesterday:

*The draft day decision to select Luka Doncic and trade him to the Mavericks for Young will always be under scrutiny. Doncic, the Rookie of the Year in 2019, has been a three-time all-star and a three-time all-NBA first-team player. Young is a two-time all-star and made the all-NBA third team once. The Hawks also got a first-round pick in the trade and selected Cam Reddish, who was traded in this third season.

Among other issues listed:

The relationship between Schlenk and Young has deteriorated over recent months. Issues began following Game 2 of the playoff series with the Heat last year. In the return to Atlanta, Young chartered a private flight and did not inform the team, according to several people familiar with the situation. In the middle of the playoffs, Young was fined.

There have also been issues with head coach Nate McMillan, who according to several people familiar with the situation has tried to step down this season. McMillan signed a four-year contract in July of 2021 after leading the Hawks to the conference finals as interim head coach, taking over for Lloyd Pierce. McMillan was convinced to stay on.

I get that Nate stepping down might look bad for a franchise undergoing this type of turmoil but at the same time it would get them out of his contract.  So that seems like a really really bad decision to convince him to stay.   Unless he was willing to step down for a buyout or something. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I get that Nate stepping down might look bad for a franchise undergoing this type of turmoil but at the same time it would get them out of his contract.  So that seems like a really really bad decision to convince him to stay.   Unless he was willing to step down for a buyout or something. 

My guess is if they asked him to step down, they would give him some sort of buyout.

Technically, he's a part of the old regime.  Most GMs want their people in place. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

No way his agent or the coaches union would allow him to just concede all the remaining money on his contract. It would have to be some type of negotiated buy out. 

Which they won't want to pay so he will be coaching as long as he wants through his contract.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

No way his agent or the coaches union would allow him to just concede all the remaining money on his contract. It would have to be some type of negotiated buy out. 

Still seems weird.   No way they bring him back next year so this would still save them money and save face.   More than likely they just convinced him to step down in the summer for similar bucks. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

A major part of them wanting to keep Nate is because they are in a sponsorship transition from their current uniform sponsor.  It ends at the end of this season.  It would look bad for a new sponsor to come into the fold with this chaos going on.  Its part of why the Schlenk situation was kept under wrap.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Strange to go into the other issues for Trae but ignore the fact that Luka ran off an NBA championship coach and several other players over the last few years (Porzingus, Brunson, etc.) and has been seen repeatedly screaming at his new coach during games.  If you want to compare them then compare them.  Don't give us the dirt on only one of them.  (Talking to the AJC, not you Hawkmoor)

I get that and you are correct.  The AJC brought it up because of the connection to the Murray situation.  It points out that regardless of whether or not Luka is the same as Trae,  Schlenk never had control of the front office when it came to major decisions.  Thats what they are hinting at.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I get that and you are correct.  The AJC brought it up because of the connection to the Murray situation.  It points out that regardless of whether or not Luka is the same as Trae,  Schlenk never had control of the front office when it came to major decisions.  Thats what they are hinting at.

Those are two different issues.  Comparing Trae vs Luka and explaining what handcuffs were on Schlenk - those two topics don't really mix unless you are going to go into the impact on the Mavs GM from Luka's wants.  (In which case you might be making the argument that GMs in general don't have the control they used to have and at least there the topics would intersect.)  

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Those are two different issues.  Comparing Trae vs Luka and explaining what handcuffs were on Schlenk - those two topics don't really mix unless you are going to go into the impact on the Mavs GM from Luka's wants.  (In which case you might be making the argument that GMs in general don't have the control they used to have and at least there the topics would intersect.)  

Trae= two head coaches, a general manager, and scouting department, gone.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Still seems weird.   No way they bring him back next year so this would still save them money and save face.   More than likely they just convinced him to step down in the summer for similar bucks. 

If he gets us to the ECF, they will bring him back next year. 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Trae= two head coaches, a general manager, and scouting department, gone.

18 hours ago, AHF said:

You see Ressler promoting his own son to take over and put it on Trae that he and his chosen GM then hire their own buddies for key front office positions?  Give me a break.  Daddy Ressler has handed the reigns over to his son.  That is the reason for the GM and scouts, not Trae.  Nick was close with Fields and not with Schlenk.  Schlenk answered only to daddy Ressler.  Now everyone answers to Nick first and Nick answers to Tony.  Schlenk is shown the door to promote Nick and LF.  I don't like the move but once he made the call to put Nick and Fields in charge they fired the other front office execs to put their friends in charge.  Not Trae's dad or his agent or people he even knew - longtime friends of Fields and Nick Ressler.  That is on NR and LF.  Their friends better be good at their jobs.  That is a head scratching move to blame it on Trae as if he was really trying to make the team change the head scout position.

Trae has only had two head coaches and one remains undeservedly still employed so I'd also call out your counting.  Nate isn't gone.  Arguably should be but he isn't.

Trae definitely has influence with the front office and there are fair charges you can make but a lot of this is clearly overreaching.  

For Luka, these things are in the past.  He ran off Carlisle.  Carlisle wasn't a rookie head coach who was over his head and couldn't get another job.  He was an NBA championship coach and was immediately hired by Indiana.  Luka is on his second general manager (unlike with these other moves, I would not tie Luka to this happening).  Luka has had multiple big name teammates who either ran away from him (ex: Brunson) or were shipped out when he didn't like them (ex: Porz).  Luka has never had another All-Star excited about playing with him who joined the team like with DM.

You can argue whether these issues are comparable to Trae or not but to focus on Trae's items and ignore Luka's is intellectual dishonesty for the AJC, imo.

Just saying

Luka Doncic has "strongly indicated" he would like the Dallas Mavericks to upgrade their roster via trade before the February 9th deadline, sources tell Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

Doncic has not shown a desire to be involved in personnel matters in the past.

The Mavericks, however, still owe a first rounder to the New York Knicks as part of the Kristaps Porzingis deal.

The Mavericks lost Jalen Brunson to the Knicks in free agency last offseason after they declined the opportunity to sign him to a four-year, $55 million extension. 

Doncic can become a free agent in 2026 and MacMahon has previously stated that the Mavericks have a two-year window to prove they can build a contender around him.

• Thanks 1

For me this is a new low as a Hawks fan.  I've been a fan since around 84.  We had the early 00's rebuild; then we built a team around underpaid guys.  Then we blew that up and rebuilt again.  I was a huge Travis Schlenk fan and hard for me to root for this team after apparently he was done wrong.  I'm still a fan but how do you even rebuild after you traded 3 1st round picks?  It seems like Murray is gone after this year.   At least it will be easy to get cheap tickets to Hawks game the next few years.  Ressler and the front office need to come up with some type of plan; otherwise State Farm arena is going to be empty.    I went to a bunch of games from 03-05; the place was totally dead.  People aren't going to pay $75 dollars + a ticket for a subpar product.   It seems like the only option at this point is to do what makes Trae happy and do the best to build around him.