• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat (2 of 2)

lethalweapon3

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Still don't get why Hunter is so disliked on this forum.  He is  the 2nd most discussed player for some reason and not in a good way.

Unfortuantly many of us here on the Squawk look at where we drafted a player and are very dissapointed when they don't live up to our very high expectations.  Hunter is a prime example.

Another example is Murray and how much, in draft picks, that he cost us.  He must be elite or else!

Human nature says, "We brag when we feel we got a real bargain!"  We gripe and complain when anyone expensive is not really great, not just very good.  

:ahf:

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Your insistence that Hunter is better than Scottie Barnes is what makes your posts laughable.   Tyreke Evans is a good argument because even though Tyreke had a much better offensive output than Hunter ~7 ppg...  Tyreke was not a 3 pt shooter and he may not have survived in this "modern" NBA...  But then again, he may have.  When he came off of suspension, he was picked up by the Warriors because they liked his size, play making ability and his ability to guard 1-3.  It's a shame that he couldn't leave the drugs alone. 

It's like you just didn't read the progression of the thread. 

Tyreke Evans is not debatable. No one in the modern NBA is taking Evans over Hunter. The ability to defend 4 positions plus big wings on a solid level with his strength, size, lateral quickness, and length is heavily valued by every team in the NBA. Whereas Evans isn't much of a starter and would be a 6th man everywhere. Who would choose that over Hunter? No one. 

Evans defense has never been considered more than below average till he got older. He's always been a slasher who's has excellent vision and a knack for rebounding and getting buckets. As his career wined down, his he put more energy into defense as his lack of shooting was going to get him out of the league and his touches were steeply dropping. Drugs isn't what ended him, it was his jumper

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

@Gray Mule  What should he look like being picked at # 4??? Comparable to the guy picked 1 slot ahead of him? Or is RJ Barrett a bust too?

In my humble opinion, after the draft is finished, we should look at how bad or good a player is, not where he was drafted.  He has no control over that.  He does have control of how hard he works after he is drafted, both in practice and in games played.  Any player - How does he use his talent?  That is the measurement.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Drugs isn't what ended him, it was his jumper

You know that this isn't true.

What player other than the GOAT came back from the league after being out of it for 2 years.   Well Tyreke was out 3.   He doesn't even look the same.  IF the layoff didn't get him (like it did Jordan at first) then certainly the stigma of him being a multitime drug policy violator did

He was named rookie of the year in 2010 after becoming just the fourth player in NBA history to average 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists per game in his rookie season, alongside Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, and LeBron James.

In his 594 games in the league, he has averaged 15.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 4.8 assists.

You keep talking about this MODERN NBA crap as if a former ROY  who had a career that is leaps and bounds ahead of Hunters would have somehow disappeared because of Shooting?  Not enough.

Back to Hunter.  What has Hunter done to be considered Better?   Was Hunter Rookie of the year... yes Over Steph Curry?  NOWas Hunter every considered one of the top players at his position... He's ranked between number 23 and 11 amongst Sfs.   Not even top 10.

Evans has his flaws.. but it's talking about the flaws of a player who could have been great... superstar talent.    Hunter has his flaws too.. but it's talking about the flaws of a player who can almost justify where he was drafted. 

• Premium Member

:blanky:... :er:

The young Magic team regrouped after Butler’s regulation buzzer-beater, holding Butler scoreless in the extra session to put the game out of reach. As the final 17 seconds ticked off the clock, a frustrated Butler walked off the floor before the game had officially ended, leading to Miami getting hit with a technical foul because — without Butler — the Heat had only four players on the court. The technical angered Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, but when asked after the game whether he was even aware of the call, Butler responded succinctly. “I don’t give a f—,” he said.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
On 3/11/2023 at 9:31 AM, Peoriabird said:

Still don't get why Hunter is so disliked on this forum.  He is  the 2nd most discussed player for some reason and not in a good way.

I don't think he is disliked.   I think a lot are frustrated with his inconsistency and weaknesses on offense.  Honestly i think we should all admit that this is as good as he gets.  He's 25 not 21.   He's not going to become a good ballhandler or passer at this point.   So he's a very good defender and an average offensive wing.  

My biggest issue is he seems to miss open shots at key moments.   We need shooters that are going to knock down open shots.  35% from 3 isn't very good for a 3&D guy.   He's shooting basically the same as DJ who is considered a bad 3 point shooter. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

All Hawks miss open shot at key moments including Trae young so why single him out?? But guess who became a better shooter after 25? Nearly every NBA player!!!

i can think of a whole bunch of Trae clutch and game winners.   AJ has 2 in a very few seasons.  I've seen Bogi hit a bunch of clutch shots.   I can remember Hunter maybe hitting some against the Knicks in the playoffs right before he was shut down for the rest of the playoffs but that's about it.   I'm not hating on him.   I just can't remember many.  maybe it's selective on my part.  But his passing and ball handling is subpar.  I don't think he's singled out anymore than any others.  JC and Capela have been called out for poor play this year.   OO was called out before he really started rebounding well.  DJ is getting deserved criticism.  I don't think Hunter should be above it.  

• Thanks 2