• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat (2 of 2)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

19272837-850x560.jpeg

“Sorry, I was up all night long, watching Cooking Channel re-runs. Every time I was about to fall asleep, Emeril kept shouting at me!”

Guess who didn’t do any homework again before an Atlanta Hawks game? That’s right, this guy! My bad, folk.

Our Hawks have even less of an excuse, when it comes to not understanding  the assignment. Particularly as they already allowed Jimmy Butler and the heat (7:30 PM Eastern, Bally Sports Southeast and 92.9 FM in ATL, BS Sun in MIA) to take them to school on the first night of a two-game series on Miami.

The bell doesn’t dismiss you, but Bam Adebayo will (30 points vs. ATL on 10-for-12 shooting in Friday’s bounce-back 117-109 win, plus 11 boards and 5 assists), if you come into the heat pivot’s stadium failing to match his intensity. Clint Capela (8-for-10 2FGs, 13 rebounds) tried his best to keep up on the inside, but his starting classmates (1-for-16 3FGs) were aimlessly lobbing the leather across the basket as if it were a spitball.

Trae Young showed up late for his show-and-tell presentation (2-for-13 FGs, 5 TOs) but at least brought his newest instructor an apple, to go along with five steals and 10 of Atlanta’s 22 assists. The bench became the head of the class (8-for-14 combined 3FGs, led by the reportedly graduating Bogdan Bogdanovic), putting more pressure on the new taskmaster, Quin Snyder, to consider reassigning seats, particularly at the so-called power forward spot.

You will recall the Hawks weren’t exactly hot for teacher around this time two years ago, in this same spot. Digging too deep of a hole and hampered by a listless offense, the Hawks valiantly crawled back from its double-digit deficit only to let Tyler Herro turn on the afterburners, and they slipped to six games below the .500 mark.

By the time Atlanta returned to Miami-Dade’s arena two nights later, a different coach was holding the chalk. The starters were suddenly attentive, players were moving to find themselves open and recovering on defense. The ball seemed to move, too, and not just from bouncing it Boban-style, with more purpose. After losing 109-99, Atlanta prevailed on the road to beat the same team 94-80. What a difference two days made!

For reasons good and bad, that substitute eventually became Mr. Chips, offered up a hasty goodbye. Snyder has since had time to say more than just hello to his new class.  Armed with fresh game tape and at least a walkthrough, Quin has been gifted more time than his predecessor did in trying to get his class to shape up ahead of this rematch with Miami.

No one is trying to hear from these Hawks about how their dog ate their homework. This go-round, that dawg had better be in them! That, and the composition book Fido ate.

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

It's looking like Brad Guzan for Atlanta with their clean sheet, disregarding the G-Leaguers and two-way assignments.

Kevin Love (contused rib) will sit this one out, riding the pine alongside Kyle Lowry (sore knee). Omer Yurt7 is on track to make his season debut coming off the injury list, possibly today, in Love's stead.

~lw3

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

On the March Madness tip, congrats to the Owls, and to Shareef's lil' bro, Kennesaw State head coach Amir Abdur-Rahim. ASUN champs!

Also, bonne chance to your friend and mine, head coach Speedy Claxton and his top-seeded Hofstra Pride in the Colonial Athletic Association, which has its semis today.

AAR and Speedy aren't the only ex-Hawks to win conference COTY honors, although SEC co-COTY winner Jerry Stackhouse will need a run through the SEC tourney to get his 'Dores through the Big Dance door..

~lw3

• Like 3

There is a big tale to be told tonight.  Hawks should be red faced about that horrible exibition when they last played.  Will this game be any different?  Surely the can't have 2 in a row like that.  I know.  Heat seem to own our beloved Hawks and take delight in proving it every opportunity they have.

This game will be different.  How?  Hawks, knowing how desperate they should be to win, trying to prove that they are not a patsy for this opponent, will be too tight.  Probable lose 99-0!

Please!  No sleepwalk tonight - especially not 4 quarters.

🥲

• Like 2

I want to see Collins knock someone on their a**.

Yes, I know this isn't in his nature, but it's time.

I don't want to see Bam shoot 83% FG tonight.  Get in his grill.

Miami is a -2.5 favorite tonight.  I believe they were -4.5 on Saturday.

Shoot the ball early Trae.  Try to get yourself going right away, instead of waiting until the 2nd half.

• Like 3

Hawks have only missed 2 shots so far..

Trae able to throw it up and it go in. Looks like it could be a good night.. Lets hope so anyway..

Edited by terrell