• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks -- GAME 4

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense. Help keep the defense honest.

No one is doing that on this Hawks team so why the different standard for Dre vs all othe Hawk player? Should they all be required to hit 50% of their open 3's including Trae Young?

You're quoting the wrong person. Jaybird said that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense. Help keep the defense honest.

No one is doing that on this Hawks team so why the different standard for Dre vs all othe Hawk player? Should they all be required to hit 50% of their open 3's including Trae Young?

Because Boston is leaving him as wide open as they can, they are doubling away from him....disrespectful really and needs to make them pay..  There was a play where Brogdon didn't even attempt to get our to Dre, just stopped and went back to the paint for the rebound, ...Dre made the shot. He needs to hit those shots.

The 3rd play in this:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is the biggest thing - they are being left WIDE open....have to make them pay.

WideOpenPlayoffShots.thumb.jpg.7ff6c4b6326c592cceb1b9dda22c17c1.jpg

If you are going to take 15+ WIDE OPEN 3pt shots, you gotta make more than 26%, imo.  Peo would be losing his mind and trading Trae if he was sitting at 20% or 26% on that volume.  

And even Trae needs to do better.  39% on wide open shots is not great for an NBA player.  It's not terrible, certainly not as bad as JC and Dre, but it's not great either.  

For reference (series total 3pt WIDE OPEN with 10+ FGA):

• Marcus Smart is at 39% on 18 FGA
  • Derrick White is at 65% on 17 FGA
  • Brogdon is at 38% on 13 FGA
  • Tatum is at 50.0% on 12 FGA
  • Horford is at 45.5% on 11 FGA

Elsewhere in the East:

• Grayson Allen is at 60% on 15 FGA
  • Garland is at 58% on 12 FGA
  • Caris LeVert is at 38% on 16 FGA
  • Maxey is at 58% on 19 FGA
  • DeAnthony Melton is at 47% on 15 FGA
  • PJ Tucker is at 21% on 14 FGA

That's not everyone with 10+ FGA but it's a good sample.  In general, you gotta hit more than 26% if you want to be successful.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dre just needs to hit 50% of his WIDE OPEN 3s, that will open up the rest of his offense, quicker decision making will also help.  Helps keep the defense honest.  

I mean... Yeah, that's great for us. Pretty much anyone that can be on the floor with Trae and consistently hit a three ball ideal.

Is that great for Dre?  Is that his that his natural role?  Does that help him with his ceiling? I'm only proposing what would be the ideal scenario for both him and the Hawks...not necessarily what works for both.

Having his shot respected surely gives him options for putting it on the floor. He still has to have the ball in his hands and will be waiting on it between Tre/DJ.  Sure he will get CNS opportunities, but a) the best shot he's going to get is the first one on the closeout (so he's not putting it on the floor), b) we are effectively "retro-fitting" him into a limited role the same as JC, and c) the number touches he gets is inversely proportional to how well Trae/DJ perform.

I do believe Hunter is a better player than what we've seen, but I'm not so much trying to make that argument (and certainly not willing to die on that hill).  All I'm saying is, the only thing we need from his current slot is 3nD.  Anything else that he MIGHT BE better at simply duplicates, but doesn't necessarily compliment, what we get from someone higher on the food chain.

Tonight would be the night to see a case study for what I'm saying. Hopefully we get a great game from him and bring it back to ATL. 

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Because Boston is leaving him as wide open as they can, they are doubling away from him....disrespectful really and needs to make them pay..  There was a play where Brogdon didn't even attempt to get our to Dre, just stopped and went back to the paint for the rebound, ...Dre made the shot. He needs to hit those shots.

The 3rd play in this:

Trae gets guys WIDE open.  We all know that.  What they do with it once they get it is the question.  When Dre HITS his shots, he's a huge contributor.  Same with JC.  

Forget 50%.  Hit 38-40% of your Wide Open shots.  If Dre, JC, and DJ even just matched Trae in WIDE OPEN makes from 3, they'd have 8 more 3s in the series.  That's 24 points which could make a huge difference, depending on when they come.  If Trae makes 50% that's another 2 makes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

He's not a great ball handler, he will fumble the ball if he's made to dribble more than 3 to 4 steps. 

Yup. All that was said but he really needs to learn to dribble the ball. It’s the pros bro.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hunter has been pretty good.  He was great in the last game but he still has 8 turnovers, which is a lot for a guy who's not a primary ball handler, and as others have said has missed a lot of open 3s.  

Someone mentioned that he needs to be the #2 option to see what he can do but that's not really possible with as bad as his handle and court vision is.  His mid range game and is good though.  would love to see him take it to the hoop more and get to the line more.   

I don't think he's been great in this series but we'd be really in trouble without him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I do believe Hunter is a better player than what we've seen, but I'm not so much trying to make that argument (and certainly not willing to die on that hill).  All I'm saying is, the only thing we need from his current slot is 3nD.  Anything else that he MIGHT BE better at simply duplicates, but doesn't necessarily compliment, what we get from someone higher on the food chain.

I just need him to maximize whatever opportunities he gets.

• Like 1

Here's a link to every player in the PO with at least 10 3pt FGA that are considered WIDE OPEN.  Interesting list.  Check out who is 0-10.  Ouch.

No idea if this will work

EDIT:  Link will work but you have to change the "Closest Defender" drop down box to show 6+ Feet WIDE ASS OPEN

Edited by REHawksFan

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

@REHawksFan And I'm "just saying" you don't read what's said.  You're just arguing to be arguing.  READ the post dude.  

What did I miss and what did I argue? I just asked a question.

You're arguing that I didn't circle DJ at 16% and there aren't any 50% guys on the team when my post CLEARLY stated I was talking about guys taking 15+ for the series.  AND I said that even Trae at the top of the % was inadequate for a player of his caliber.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Here's a link to every player in the PO with at least 10 3pt FGA that are considered WIDE OPEN.  Interesting list.  Check out who is 0-10.  Ouch.

EDIT:  Link will work but you have to change the "Closest Defender" drop down box to show 6+ Feet WIDE ASS OPEN

🤨  does it actually say that. :laugh1:

• Premium Member

The focus on the message board has always been 3 point shooting like all player are created equal when it come to marksmanship. And I keep telling y'all that the Hawks don't have great 3 point shooting so to hag your coach's hat on 3 point shooting being the determinant of wins and loses for this team will give you the result you get...A .500 Hawk team. Also yall keep harping on Dre hitting half his 3's like is klay Thompson...well he isn't...Dre is an average to below average streaky 3 point shoot with a career percentage around 36%. Golden State won because they had at least 2 43% shooters on the team with 38% shooter in Kevin Durant. The Hawks don't have 1 career 38% shooter on the team let alone 3. So we can't play offense like them and succeed. This has to sink in at some point

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks don't have 1 career 38% shooter on the team

Yes - Bogi...38.7%

Career     NBA   370 161 28.5 5.2 11.8 .440 2.4 6.2 .387 2.8 5.6 .499 .542 1.4 1.7 .823 0.5 2.9 3.4 3.3 1.0 0.2 1.4 2.1 14.

He is actually shooting 40% from 3 in 3 seasons with the Hawks.

Hunter was close last year with 37.9%

AJ at 39% - but he doesn't play.

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This list makes me sad...

Boston has 4 players on the list before we get to our first player (Trae = 38.9%).   And Trae got 18 looks. 

The name I didn't see on any of the lists is  Bogi.  Bogi has to get some looks tonight.