• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Trae finally adjust his game this upcoming season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I wish we could let go of the Trae needs to play like Curry narrative.

They are 2 completely different players. Different bodies, different games, different basketball foundations. It’s not Trae’s fault ESPN wanted to advertise him as the next Curry at Oklahoma. I wish everyone would get that out of their head.

Asking Trae to play off ball and run around screens like Curry is like asking Lebron to stop running point and just run the triangle offense like MJ and Kobe.

They are different players with different strengths to their games.

You wouldn’t tell Kidd, Nash, or CP3 that they should change their game to be more like Curry. They are true point guards. Curry is not.

Trae needs to choose better shot selection, minimize turnovers, and make some kind of defensive impact.

Other than that, he does not need to revise his entire play style so that he can be a worse version of Curry.

Please tell me how many other big name players in the NBA have modified their game to copy what Steph does?

I can’t think of any. You know why?Because Steph is a freaking unicorn.

Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are the only other stars I can remember who could run around off ball all game and dominate with the jumper.

Korver and Reddick are the only other two players (not stars) on a similar level. Maybe Luke Kennard right now.

There are not many humans who can play the game of basketball that way and be great at it. Let’s stop imagining that Trae will flip a switch and become one of them.

Trae is a set shooter and rhythm dribble pull up shooter. I honestly do not know if he can even can and shoot on the move.

Somehow both he and our offense manage to be near the top of the league every year. 

Name another all star PG who has the ability to knock down wide open catch and shoot 3s at a high % besides Trae and Steph?  Dame could do it, but I can’t think of any others.  

But it doesn’t matter because as the team proved in the playoffs, the offense is garbage if the ball is in anyone’s hands other than Trae.  So unless that changes there’s no point to him being off the ball at all.

• Confused 1

On 6/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, shakes said:

He didn't adjust his game last off season so I doubt he does it this off season.

At this point I've given up on him ever giving a crap about moving without the ball.  That ain't ever happening folks.

My new hope is that he grows up and at least improves on his shot selection.  I would also like to see him become a more willing passer early in the shot clock and also a more accurate passer when driving and kicking to the perimeter.  Those are a couple areas where he can definitely improve without changing his entire play style.

This...

• Moderators

Until the Hawks actually start running action designed to get Trae open off the ball, he is never going to be anything other than a good catch and shoot player who looks awkward off the ball.  The day we start giving him a specific play to run where he is navigating screens and there is action designed to get him the ball as one of or the primary options in the play is the day I will be optimistic he might become a more effective player without the ball.  He is no Curry (arguably the league’s best at off ball movement), but I saw no sign of intention to run him or anyone else through effective off ball action last season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Until the Hawks actually start running action designed to get Trae open off the ball, he is never going to be anything other than a good catch and shoot player who looks awkward off the ball.  The day we start giving him a specific play to run where he is navigating screens and there is action designed to get him the ball as one of or the primary options in the play is the day I will be optimistic he might become a more effective player without the ball.  He is no Curry (arguably the league’s best at off ball movement), but I saw no sign of intention to run him or anyone else through effective off ball action last season.

Water is wet. Sun is hot. Yada, yada, yada.  

I agree there has been no intentionality in running actual offensive plays through other players FOR Trae.  The $20 Million dollar question is.....WHY?  

Trae's critics will happily claim it's because he refuses to move without the ball. (Or the absurd take that he's incapable of such). Trae's fans, on the other hand, will claim he's never had a coach that ran functional offense without Trae having an ultra high usage and therefore hasn't had a chance to move without the ball.  

Which is true?  

Maybe both, owing to the old cliche that the true lies on neither extreme but in the middle.  

My take - biased as it may be - is that coach's coach, formulate the game plan, and strategize while players execute the plan. Therefore, by definition, the type of offense the team plays falls squarely on the coach. Either the coach is unwilling to implement a more dynamic system or is incapable of such. Claiming the star player refuses to do so only tells me that the coach is incapable of getting the star player on board. That's part of coaching, imo.  

My guess is previous coaches have been unwilling to battle Trae on changes (assuming for a moment that a battle is even necessary) to his game because why create that headache for yourself when the Trae-centric offense is Top 5 in the NBA most years?  But that seems ultra short sighted as the more dynamic offense could and likely would produce greater success in the postseason.  

Here's to hoping Quin is at a point of both wanting to install a more dynamic offense AND is capable of such.  

• Like 4

On 6/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, DeacKillsaDevil said:

Looks like Trae removed all things Atlanta from his instagram page.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:30 AM, macdaddy said:

With free agents i usually don't read much into that but this is actually pretty weird for the franchise center piece currently under a max contract.  But also weird to do when the season isn't even over yet.  

On 6/6/2023 at 10:49 AM, benhillboy said:

I’m sure @TheNorthCydeRises knows exactly why and can totally defend it.  

Bigger picture though this is the type of utter nonsense that Quinn and Kyle loathe trust me.  

On 6/6/2023 at 11:02 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not worried about him scrubbing his instagram page clean.  He's looking forward to working with Quinn.

I have read that Trae simply moved the Atlanta stuff to a different section on his instagram page to make room for his new podcast show.

I will confirm once I see it myself but that’s what I’m reading on other Atlanta news groups, boards, etc 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I have read that Trae simply moved the Atlanta stuff to a different section on his instagram page to make room for his new podcast show.

I will confirm once I see it myself but that’s what I’m reading on other Atlanta news groups, boards, etc 

Confirmed. If you go to the photos all of hawks stuff is still there. He moved it to make room for his podcast show that recently spun up.

image.thumb.png.acf7c165e7929d57daf1fac866372697.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JTB said:

Confirmed. If you go to the photos all of hawks stuff is still there. He moved it to make room for his podcast show that recently spun up.

image.thumb.png.acf7c165e7929d57daf1fac866372697.png

:sarcastic: Ice 🧊 Trae and Dejounte Flurry :laugh1:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

is it just Trae and Jokic on there 3 times or more?   What stands out is maybe we need Zach Lavine on our side. 

Jokic - 4 times (Blazers, Pels, Suns, Clips)

Lavine - 4 times (Hawks, Pacers, Twolves, Knicks)

Trae - 3 times (Spurs, Nets, Bulls)

Derozan - 3 times (Cavs, Raps, Wiz)

Dame - 2 times (Thunder, Nuggets)

Butler - 2 times (Bucks, Celtics)

Ja - 2 times (Dubs, Twolves)

??? - 2 times (Magic,Lakers)

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

is it just Trae and Jokic on there 3 times or more?   What stands out is maybe we need Zach Lavine on our side. 

LaVine's teammate is the ire of CLE, TOR and WAS.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Jokic - 4 times (Blazers, Pels, Suns, Clips)

Lavine - 4 times (Hawks, Pacers, Twolves, Knicks)

Trae - 3 times (Spurs, Nets, Bulls)

Derozan - 3 times (Cavs, Raps, Wiz)

Dame - 2 times (Thunder, Nuggets)

Butler - 2 times (Bucks, Celtics)

Ja - 2 times (Dubs, Twolves)

??? - 2 times (Magic,Lakers)

Haha.  Look at Butler.  He only gets motivated for big games.  

12 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

And this:

Trae only three time assister. Joker twice assister, one time assistee. 

So much that you can say.  While turnovers are supposedly a weakness for Trae, our team is always among the lowest turnover per game in the league.  Trae creates in the range of 52-55 points of offense every night on 4 turnovers. 

If you don't like what Trae does with turnovers consider the rest of the team, 63-66 points of offense on 9 turnovers, NINE.  The league's worst team is Houston at around 16 per game while scoring almost 110.7 ppg.  So the rest of the team is on Houston's level, pretty terrible.  

With Trae we're a top offense with low turnovers, without Trae we are Houston.  He mostly puts passes where people can convert into a bucket and can get his own shots unassisted.  It's a ton of efficient offense.  The idea that he showboats and is careless with the ball trying to make highlight reel passes does not hold up.  

No wonder his coaches aren't trying to take the ball out of his hands and aren't worried about his turnovers.  If they did, we'd have a Houston level offense.  

• Like 4