• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

21 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The future you guys are talking about though, consist of guys who are currently bench role players who really haven't established themselves as pros yet.  We just "hope" that all of our young players turn into high level guys.

Hope is not a strategy.  I've been with you on this take for a while, ever since 2021.  The NBA is about acquiring top shelf talent.  Two years ago it was Cam that was gonna blossom into a star...

We can do both, trade for upgraded talent and develop young players.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:  Who on our team moves well without the ball, and why?

AJ Griffin - - - Because he's been talking to our assistant GM!

:smug:

Currently we have as young players

Tyty, Bufkin, AJ, JJ, Gueye, Garuba, Vit….

veterans, some of them are 22,24….

Young, Murray, Bogi, Hunter, Bey, OO, Capela… we may add Matthews and Bruno but they are on the limit that sets which player is or is not on the league. We are really thin on the frontcourt and we need some size, defense and veteran presence there, FA market is squeezing fast.

5 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Currently we have as young players

Tyty, Bufkin, AJ, JJ, Gueye, Garuba, Vit….

veterans, some of them are 22,24….

Young, Murray, Bogi, Hunter, Bey, OO, Capela… we may add Matthews and Bruno but they are on the limit that sets which player is or is not on the league. We are really thin on the frontcourt and we need some size, defense and veteran presence there, FA market is squeezing fast.

Tyty, JJ, Garuba, Vit, Hunter, Bruno, Matthews, Capela…  and picks wise we have SAC '24 and '29 Own FRP

I think these guys are the ones tradeable right now. 

I think the FO likes:

Young, DJM, Bogi, Bey, OO, and AJ and will keep their claws the best they can on them.

The reason is Hawks DNA and they all fit a pretty good timeline. And 

Edited by theheroatl

I think JJ is also part of the core but I might be wrong.

The issue is that you have 5 established players for PG, SG and SF in Young, DJM, Bogi, Hunter and Bey.

But for PF and C we have justo Capela and OO and they are completely redundante.

Edited by gurpilo

8 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I think JJ is also part of the core but I might be wrong.

The issue is that you have 5 established players for PG, SG and SF in Young, DJM, Bogi, Hunter and Bey.

But for PF and C we have justo Capela and OO and they are completely redundante.

I think you only need and established forward and center to win, one of each. They don't have to be stars but one or both need to shoot the 3 ball at a good clip. Which essentially spaces the floor.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Do you know why you can't accurately answer this question?   Because off ball movement is system driven, not player driven.  Saying that Trae has further to go, is short-sighted.  We have never seen Trae in a system that promotes player movement.

And in the NBA, very few PGs are moving without the ball in the fashion that people seem to want Trae to move.  I think the Steph Curry comparison to Trae is the wrong one.  He's not Steph. No one is.  The majority of PGs in the NBA are on the ball.  And if they aren't, it's because they aren't good facilitators.

We'll see what Quin comes up with, and if it helps the Hawks overall.

Of course it’s system driven — I didnt think we were starting the conversation at that rudimentary level.

My overall point is I have seen a lot of the guys on the team in situations where they’re slashing without the ball, moving into space, and making good decisions off the catch.  For instance, AJ seems to have good instincts when he catches the ball— makes quick decisions.  Bogi as well, expect him to thrive under Quin. Hunter is horrible…too methodical and no instincts, I can see why were shopping him.  Trae hasnt been in these situations because hes dominated the ball.

So no, we havent been in a ball movement motion offense, but if you’ve watched our players, and if you watched those Jazz teams, you can get a sense of who would fit.  I suspect we will move towards that.  And its not an indictment on Trae so you dont have to rush to defend him — it’s just reality he has never developed that type of skill set.  

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The future you guys are talking about though, consist of guys who are currently bench role players who really haven't established themselves as pros yet.  We just "hope" that all of our young players turn into high level guys.

I just “hope” that KAT doesn’t regress and actually plays like he is worth $50-60M per.   However, I am quite confident he will never have that value for us with the role he will play.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not a single report on this KAT to atl deal yet…

Wow, just give it time okay

But seriously if yall guys worry about stuff like that, why are you even posting in the insiders (outsiders) post for?  Just check out the other post on the website.  Those guys are putting their necks and friendships on the line to give us any bit of news about this team.  Let it play out as so, besides they are still cooking right now (Houston deal is not completed yet) and anything can change or happen at any moment.

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Like 2