• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

The Falcons did the right thing in my eyes but my eyes isn't everyone eye and there are a lot of fans who things differently. Also, I compared Penix Jr to Warren Moon but with more speed so I also was higher on Penix Jr upside than I was on Cousins period. 

It's 3 parts

1. Did you like the Cousins signing? I didn't till Penix was drafted

2. Do you see value in two premium QBs on the same roster? I used to like the Montana/Young 49ers as a kid so I always saw value in it if aged completely different 

3. Did you like Penix Jr at 8th overall? I did and felt he was a legit 1st overall pick candidate if Caleb wasn't in this class. 

So I eventually liked everything but some maybe many only liked 1 out of 3. 

For example, supes, do you go for upside or NBA ready. I wanted Reddish over Hunter even though we got both. I wanted upside over what I felt was someone who was just a versatile role player at the end of the day. Plus I really loved Reddish potential. What happened? I lost and bad. 

Times I wanted upside over proven but was cool with the proven. I wanted Brendan Wright over Al Horford. I was cool with Horford but Wright is the next KG. Lmao, another L. 

I generally always lose the upside over proven battle. I only win when upside is so clear like Josh Smith or Jalen Johnson. Where it's upside v. Someone like Jameer Nelson or Quintin Grimes. Not that those two are bad but the upside play was so obvious to me. 

I even liked Hali over OO

Luka over Trae

Jalen Brunson over Omari

It would be tough for me but I'll probably go Edey over Risacher. That would be tough for me. 

Easy for me is Risacher over Sarr and Edey over Sarr. That's extremely easy for me. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, AHF said:

For the Falcons it is especially complicated because the guy they drafted has already suffered 4 season ending injuries and is already 24 years old and projects to be sitting for two years (26 is very old for a first time starter).  There is also some whiplash after fans were basically told "we're ready to contend right now!" after Cousins was signed and then they see the top pick being someone who won't play for at least 2 years if things go according to plan.

Disagree slightly cause what does contending imply? We were never thought to be in the SuperBowl race from anyone.

Signing Kirk feels like ownership wanted people to keep buying season tickets and tuning in because Falcons would at least be back in the playoffs.

If we cut Kirk after 2 years, it means he played well but couldn't lead us to the promise land as expected and now it's time for Penix to try.

If we retain Kirk, it means we went significantly further in the playoffs than we would've thought

If we start Penix earlier, it means Kirk is declining and it's good we have Penix in the wings.

Kirks salary feels appropriate for a top 10 QB, and Penix being 26 when starting is kinda of irrelevant. If Penix is the truth, we'll have 10 years of good QB play with Penix at the helm and no one will care that he started at 26. 

Also, Penix's injuries were many years ago and he's been healthy ever since his last big one - doesn't mean he wont hurt himself, but shows we can feel at least a lil confident in his health moving forward.

Overall Falcons are finally not gonna be 💩 and we'll have fun making the playoffs for a couple years till Penix takes over and gets us our chip. Dont think we're winning one with Kirk right now, even if we drafted defense/wr with our 8th pick.

3 hours ago, terrell said:

They should've just traded Clint last year for the #10 pick(LIvely).. smh

To be fair, the rumor was Clint for a pick swap... essentially Clint + Bufkin for Lively.  It's debatable on whether or not the Hawks should've done that, but I don't blame Atlanta asking for Green as well... and I don't really blame Dallas for rejecting that counteroffer either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, akay said:

Disagree slightly cause what does contending imply? We were never thought to be in the SuperBowl race from anyone.

Signing Kirk feels like ownership wanted people to keep buying season tickets and tuning in because Falcons would at least be back in the playoffs.

If we cut Kirk after 2 years, it means he played well but couldn't lead us to the promise land as expected and now it's time for Penix to try.

If we retain Kirk, it means we went significantly further in the playoffs than we would've thought

If we start Penix earlier, it means Kirk is declining and it's good we have Penix in the wings.

Kirks salary feels appropriate for a top 10 QB, and Penix being 26 when starting is kinda of irrelevant. If Penix is the truth, we'll have 10 years of good QB play with Penix at the helm and no one will care that he started at 26. 

Also, Penix's injuries were many years ago and he's been healthy ever since his last big one - doesn't mean he wont hurt himself, but shows we can feel at least a lil confident in his health moving forward.

Overall Falcons are finally not gonna be 💩 and we'll have fun making the playoffs for a couple years till Penix takes over and gets us our chip. Dont think we're winning one with Kirk right now, even if we drafted defense/wr with our 8th pick.

I think people just don't understand the sequence of events. Falcons signed Kirk two months before the draft, before any pre-draft workouts. It has already been reported that Penix's stock skyrocketed within the org after his workout, it's entirely possible he wasn't even being considered as a candidate with the 8 pick when Kirk was signed, so that's one factor. Also, even if they had been high on Penix there was a full two months before the draft and there is absolutely no way of knowing if they would have even had a chance at him at 8. Kirk was THE hottest free agent QB by a mile, if Falcons hadn't been agressive with signing him (even potentially tampering) there is zero shot they would have been able to get him, and missing out on him with no guarantee at a QB in the draft at that point would have been a disaster. As it so worked out it was a bit messy, but I'll take it. I'd rather have a "happy problem" at QB than bank 100% of the next two seasons on Penix being ready right off the bat (something the rookies of the last 4 years have not been able to do for the most part) and having extra cap room to sign whatever free agent defender we would have been able to overpay this last free agency period. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2024 at 2:21 PM, Atlantaholic said:

One thing I'm noticing is that in the pick and roll, he tends to do a lot of Ghost Screens. He's got to be a better screener especially if Trae is going to be his PG.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

One thing I'm noticing is that in the pick and roll, he tends to do a lot of Ghost Screens. He's got to be a better screener especially if Trae is going to be his PG.

yea but everyone else on the team does it too so Ithink that's just their scheme and coaching. More concerned how he struggles with establishing position and a presence in the paint playing against backup NBL bigs.

• Like 1

Just now, KB21 said:

Wemby does the same thing on screens, but his fit with Trae isn’t questioned.  It’s also not hard to get better as a screener.  It’s one of the characteristics that I’m going to largely ignore because it can easily be taught.  

We'll see. I'm just pointing out that area in his game where he'll need to improve upon a lot to fully maximize his potential with Trae. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Moving on from Kirk in the short term would be an absolute train wreck with $100,000,000 in guaranteed money.  Injury insurance makes sense (although a guy with 4 season ending injuries may not be the best injury insurance on the market).

It’s in the first two seasons ..and they can def do it after this season or the one after and spread the cap hit over two years which be around 12 mill a season ..so the Falcons are in a good position ..the next two seasons our skills positions players contracts will be coming up ..so yeah cousins is def only a 2 year window 

19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

In fact, Quin uses a lot of ghost screens.  Particularly with guard guard screen action.  

Bigs like Wemby, Chet, JJJ, Evan Mobley, and Sarr, Inwould want them running more ghost screens to set up their jumper or slip screens to get them to the basket.  You don’t have to hammer someone’s d*ck into the ground to be an effective screener.  

I'm so tired of you saying things that are correct.😂😂😂IMB_20190121014630_nJ1X.gif.1e8762e254aa0adabb60878c45ebd1b3.gif

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Falcons did the right thing in my eyes but my eyes isn't everyone eye and there are a lot of fans who things differently. Also, I compared Penix Jr to Warren Moon but with more speed so I also was higher on Penix Jr upside than I was on Cousins period. 

It's 3 parts

1. Did you like the Cousins signing? I didn't till Penix was drafted

2. Do you see value in two premium QBs on the same roster? I used to like the Montana/Young 49ers as a kid so I always saw value in it if aged completely different 

3. Did you like Penix Jr at 8th overall? I did and felt he was a legit 1st overall pick candidate if Caleb wasn't in this class. 

So I eventually liked everything but some maybe many only liked 1 out of 3. 

For example, supes, do you go for upside or NBA ready. I wanted Reddish over Hunter even though we got both. I wanted upside over what I felt was someone who was just a versatile role player at the end of the day. Plus I really loved Reddish potential. What happened? I lost and bad. 

Times I wanted upside over proven but was cool with the proven. I wanted Brendan Wright over Al Horford. I was cool with Horford but Wright is the next KG. Lmao, another L. 

I generally always lose the upside over proven battle. I only win when upside is so clear like Josh Smith or Jalen Johnson. Where it's upside v. Someone like Jameer Nelson or Quintin Grimes. Not that those two are bad but the upside play was so obvious to me. 

I even liked Hali over OO

Luka over Trae

Jalen Brunson over Omari

It would be tough for me but I'll probably go Edey over Risacher. That would be tough for me. 

Easy for me is Risacher over Sarr and Edey over Sarr. That's extremely easy for me. 

Falcons had Penix as their #2 QB.. No way you pass on that...Who kmows if we'll have that chance next season or after..... Heck we might lose a pick because Kirk couldnt stop talking.. smdh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Could we get back to discussing the Hawks? The Falcons wasted their #8 pick on a bum that will be almost 30 when he finally gets a chance to play. There's a forum to discuss how terrible of a draft pick it was. 

OK. Hawks it is.  But Penix is no bum.  And no Edey at one!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Could we get back to discussing the Hawks? The Falcons wasted their #8 pick on a bum that will be almost 30 when he finally gets a chance to play. There's a forum to discuss how terrible of a draft pick it was. 

It is better than people complaining about everything and besides I dont think the Falcons wasted that pick but anywho.

• Thanks 2