• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

The problem with Siakam or Towns is their next contract.  They're going to demand that 35% max which completely hamstrings your roster, particularly when you have Trae on a 30% max, multiple upcoming extensions, and DJs FA situation.  Ressler would have to shock us all by blowing through the luxury floor like we've never seen.

It won't be as big of an issue as it would be now if we have sent out a combo of JC + Capela or Hunter. But yes that is still an obstacle, I'm just pointing out what *could* still happen with this deal. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I personally don't want someone at the 4 who'd be a longterm starter. Get me a vet stop gap who can contribute like Jae Crowder and groom JJ for that spot. Watching the Denver finals makes it obvious how the secondary pieces on a team should compliment the superstar's playstyle. MPJ and Jamal Murray are microwave scorers that benefit from Jokic's methodical playstyle.

JJ's ability to push the pace, attack the rim, collapse on kickouts, and create for others from the pf position is a great release valve for Trae's explosive style. The biggest problem we've had with our frontcourt is that JC, Dre and CC can't pass/playmake for shit. 

He does more with the ball in this vid then JC did with his whole career.

I wouldn't be surprised if that trade exception isn't used right off the bat either. You could potentially use it on top of one of CC or Dre to bring in a big difference maker at some point this year. 

Agreed.  I really want to let Quin work with the roster and see where we get by the trade deadline.  No need to try to overhaul the whole roster at the same time Quin is overhauling our playbook.  Maybe we can use the TPE at the deadline if the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I personally don't want someone at the 4 who'd be a longterm starter. Get me a vet stop gap who can contribute like Jae Crowder and groom JJ for that spot. Watching the Denver finals makes it obvious how the secondary pieces on a team should compliment the superstar's playstyle. MPJ and Jamal Murray are microwave scorers that benefit from Jokic's methodical playstyle.

JJ's ability to push the pace, attack the rim, collapse on kickouts, and create for others from the pf position is a great release valve for Trae's explosive style. The biggest problem we've had with our frontcourt is that JC, Dre and CC can't pass/playmake for shit. 

He does more with the ball in this vid then JC did with his whole career.

I wouldn't be surprised if that trade exception isn't used right off the bat either. You could potentially use it on top of one of CC or Dre to bring in a big difference maker at some point this year. 

Excellent post.  And spot on about our frontcourt.  Which was one of the secondary points I was making in the other thread about Quin's ball movement play style.  To play that way, you need people on the floor who can actually make that next pass to get people better shots.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Kyle Kuzma but that's just my speculation.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Kuzma.  At least Bey can shoot at an above average clip.  

Forget about him, he declined his $13 million PO, how much do you think he's asking for.

🤔

Kyle Kuzma is expected to be one of the hottest names on the market this summer after declining his $13 million player option for 2023-24 to become a free agent.

Whichever team hopes to land the former Washington Wizards star will have to cough up a lot of money with the 27-year-old eyeing $30 million annually on his next contract, according to Matt Moore of Action Network. :laugh1:

• Haha 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Forget about him, he declined his $13 million PO, how much do you think he's asking for.

🤔

Kyle Kuzma is expected to be one of the hottest names on the market this summer after declining his $13 million player option for 2023-24 to become a free agent.

Whichever team hopes to land the former Washington Wizards star will have to cough up a lot of money with the 27-year-old eyeing $30 million annually on his next contract, according to Matt Moore of Action Network. :laugh1:

If he's wanting that much, I'm out.  I can justify adding him as a piece.  I can't justify adding him for that much.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JTB said:

Kuzma..

15 minutes ago, JTB said:

BUT he’d probably be way cheaper than JC so there’s that.

Repeating for effect:

Whichever team hopes to land the former Washington Wizards star will have to cough up a lot of money with the 27-year-old eyeing $30 million annually on his next contract, according to Matt Moore of Action Network.

Not saying he'll get that but he's looking to get paid.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The problem with Siakam or Towns is their next contract.  They're going to demand that 35% max

If Siakam is traded he isn't eligible for the 35% supermax, he can only get it from Toronto. That's why he doesn't want to be traded, to remain eligible to get it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Repeating for effect:

Whichever team hopes to land the former Washington Wizards star will have to cough up a lot of money with the 27-year-old eyeing $30 million annually on his next contract, according to Matt Moore of Action Network.

Not saying he'll get that but he's looking to get paid.

I've been through a lot just like all of you guys as a Hawks fan. But if we sign Kuzma to a multi year deal at anything over Hunter money I'm officially done with this team probably forever. 

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

🤔

He's going to sign for 4 years $15m per (ish)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Gay - $6.4 million this season

JC - 25.3 million

Savings $18.9 Million

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

2023-24 Atlanta Hawks Salary Cap Totals

The Hawks are currently over the league salary cap. This means Cap Holds & Exceptions are NOT included in their Total Cap Allocations, and renouncing these figures will not afford them any cap space. The team may only sign outside players using any available exceptions or at league minimum salaries.

CAP TYPE CAP TOTAL
Active Roster Cap $151,604,314
Cap Holds $7,914,566
Total Cap Allocations

$159,518,880

(One of those holds is Bufkin...other 2 are Holiday and Forrest).

This leaves us between $10 million and $6 million under the LT.

$8 million of the contracts are not guaranteed. $3.8 million of the holds you could flip a coin to if they're back.

FYI, let me state it again.  The focus in the offseason is finding, eliminating players who cannot defend 3 positions.  Theirs, up 1, down 1.  Finding/eliminating players who do not cause change of possession without a shot.

As for your last point, we know they're not going to trade Trae, so we're limited in that respect.

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Wow.  The biggest salary dump I've ever seen.  Nothing but junk for a good, solid player and leader.  I don't want to hear any more from ownership about us being willing to be in the luxury tax.  This may be the worst ownership  ever.

Collins took PEDs and wrecked a season. Not only did he fail to apologize, he spent the following year yapping how he was a MAX player and All Star....

Oh, and getting on the mic in the middle of a season where he was the most disappointing player on one of the most disappointing teams in TEAM HISTORY, and getting upset at the crowd for there being too many opposing fans in the building. smdh(this is when he really lost me.. lol)

Sayonara.. 

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Oh AH.  If you think they created that space just to up and spend it again, I got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell.  I'll give you the Squawk discount. 

Given our track record, I say it is quite possible.  We overspend for mediocre talent, and Ressler will get booed out of the building if the whole thing was just to save him some money.  Plus if they give ridiculous overpayments for mediocre talent like OO & JJ, we'll dig ourselves deeper into a hole.

Edited by Watchman

41 minutes ago, thecampster said:

At worst, JC and JJ = same impact, but JJ has more impact and needs the playing time.

JC = $23.9 million in salary

JJ = $2.9 million in salary

Same production (at least) for $21 million less.  By the end of the season, all the crocodile tears will dry up.

Honestly, there's a lotta truth here.  Just hate we sold so low. 

• Like 1