• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you like posts that are considered hot takes when in reality they are or could be true?

NBASupes

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We shouldn’t be comparing Al to Nique but rather Kevin Willis. 

Al 13 points 8 rebounds 

Willis 12 points 8 rebounds

Although Willis was 💯 times as physical and would prolly make Alice cry 😢 no joke dead serious.

Duncan 19/10

Kat 23/11

Kat> Duncan right?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Jazz 90s offense was cheesy as hell. They would move Ostertag to the corner 3. You couldn't cheat off of him even as a non shooter or it was illegal defense. They ran the PnR at the elbow, which would be ABSOLUTELY impossible to do today with the switching and athletics currently in the league. They basically played 3 out, Stockton and Malone at the elbow and just spammed the shit out of the PnR. I watched a Jazz game where they didn't run a different play till 3 mins into the 3rd quarter and because possessions meant absolutely NOTHING in the early to late 90s, if the shit failed, they would just do it AGAIN. This shit was Tom Osborne Nebraska Wing-T offense for the NBA. 

The NBA has grown massively since then.

This is a pretty good look at what Sloan did in Utah in the 1990s. 

For those of you who like off ball screens and off ball movement in general, these videos are a must watch. 

And no, their offense wasn't just running 1 or 2 plays, or a bland offense at all.  It's just that their execution on most nights were high level.

It also shows just how smart and tough John Stockton was.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I've proven so many times on here why he's the best player to play in Atlanta. 

The best possession by possession player. 

Does more for winning than anyone in Atlanta's history 

The most versatile 

The best defensively 

Most actions you can run for him on offense.

The most actions you can run for him on defense.

Saying it over and over and over again IS NOT PROVING IT, it's you just SAYING it over and over and over and hoping you find someone that agrees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At this point you have to look at people to enforce a standard that is consistently not met.  Two quotes calling people dumb and stupid.  Although one under a thin veil of a "stupid ass" opinion, barely avoiding a direct insult. 

The other part of this is when their actual opinion gets challenged like, "I don't like your player evals" they throw a tantrum and act like they have been attacked in a punitive way.  

Honestly I'm content with letting a little chatter like this from time to time continue, but as someone who has parented a few toddlers and teenagers tolerating behavior is what allows it to continue.  Clearly we tolerate this so it doesn't end.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

There is nothing wrong with a hot take.  But there is something wrong with "this is my take, you're all dumb and nothing can change my opinion".  The purpose of a hot take is to be willing to discuss and hear other opinions to measure yours against theirs.  You have to go into it with integrity.

Unfortunately, when one continually questions the BBIQ of the Squawk community it doesn't leave room for such discussions much less with transparency and integrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose I have a different outlook than some of you.  How you operate in a very close game in the final minute or two.  Sometimes a player can have wonderful stats in the game, then melt when the pressure is on.

That winning shot!  That critical assist!  That timely block!  

My examples:  Remember when Trae heaved the ball across court to AJ Griffin for the winning dunk!

:smug:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

I suppose I have a different outlook than some of you.  How you operate in a very close game in the final minute or two.  Sometimes a player can have wonderful stats in the game, then melt when the pressure is on.

That winning shot!  That critical assist!  That timely block!  

My examples:  Remember when Trae heaved the ball across court to AJ Griffin for the winning dunk!

:smug:

Do no remind my wife how I perform in the final 2 minutes!!!  Low blow Gray Mule...Low blow!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Jeff Teague said it best. I played the hardest defense in my life, and Steph Curry had 44 points. 

As far as Stockton and Malone

Young John Stockton and Malone vs Showtime Lakers in the playoffs.

They were down 10 with 3 minutes to go in this game vs Houston ( with Drexler, Olajuwon, and Barkley ).  If they lose, they go to a Game 7.  If they win, they go to the NBA Finals.

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

If you case against Al is he's not a #1 like Nique, pseudo #1 like Trae, #2 like Iso Joe, pseudo #2 like Murray or Smitty. He's a #3 and I value #1s a lot more than #3 options or later, then you would have a point in the grand scheme of the overall value of a player which I agree with you about.

A #3 cannot be a GOAT. 

You could make an argument that he provides more value in his role as a #3 than a particular #1 provides in their role. Like WAR to dollars spent or whatever. 

But #1s are players are players that carry a team. When you need a bucket, you need a win, you put the ball in their hands and they will it. GOATs are players coaches focus their systems on, draw plays for them to get points, and other teams focus their attention on stopping more than anyone else on the team. GOATs get double teamed at half court.  #3s are release valves that make themselves available to get a bucket when the #1 has pulled defenses to one part of the floor to make it easier for the 2s and 3s to succeed. Joe Johnson did as much to make Al better as Al did for JJ. 

Al was not a focal point of his teams. Coach didn’t draw up plays time and again to get the ball in his hands have have him carry the team to victory. 

Al provides more value than impact. Value is important for winning teams. You need value, you need players who outperform their positional roles, especially compared to the players on other teams. But value isn’t the same as impact. And to be the GOAT of a team, a draft class, a league season, a league history, you need to be a head of the snake, center of gravity, impactful player that your team and the other team knows will be getting the ball. Al was a great player, but that’s not Al. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1