• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

UNTraeDABLE

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ATLcruisin said:

Trae brings us something that’s rare in sports (and this city) - box office.  He’s like ‘Nique, Vick, Acuna.  Didn’t win a ‘chip, but produced a generation of young fans.  I grew up in Atlanta during the 98 Falcons SB run, and no one cared.  Vick came, and everything changed.  
Trading ‘Nique was a mistake.  We overthought.  
A good, well-balanced team (like the 60 win Hawks) will be forgotten in history; but the Run TMC Warriors or AI Sixers won’t be.

Welcome to the board @ATLcruisin

I'll Speak...

Don't know how it would have been in Vick never got in trouble or if Deion got a second contract.  But you are right, Trae is a superstar who manages to bring in the box office and can put the team on his shoulders. 

But...  ATL fans are thirsty and fickle.  I have seen them do it... Love a guy and then afterwhile turn on him.   Still, it's hard to say.

It's funny you mention this... I was listening to Da Baby's interview with Unc on club Shay Shay.  One of the things he mentioned was the brilliancy of allowing the hip hop community market the local sports teams.   More specifically, he spoke on how Charlotte ignored him and how he has a strong relationship with Melo but the missed opportunity has Jeopardized his fanship of the team and the team has missed out on bringing in a whole new market. 

Well, I think Trae came along and he's been the opposite and inverse.  He's a magnet for the celebrity community because he plays like a superstar when the lights are the brightest. 

Our GM's task is to put the correct pieces around Trae to make him a champion in Atlanta. 

Imagine... IF Trae Young leads us to our franchises First NBA Title....He'd get a statue too.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

Welcome to the board @ATLcruisin

I'll Speak...

Don't know how it would have been in Vick never got in trouble or if Deion got a second contract.  But you are right, Trae is a superstar who manages to bring in the box office and can put the team on his shoulders. 

But...  ATL fans are thirsty and fickle.  I have seen them do it... Love a guy and then afterwhile turn on him.   Still, it's hard to say.

It's funny you mention this... I was listening to Da Baby's interview with Unc on club Shay Shay.  One of the things he mentioned was the brilliancy of allowing the hip hop community market the local sports teams.   More specifically, he spoke on how Charlotte ignored him and how he has a strong relationship with Melo but the missed opportunity has Jeopardized his fanship of the team and the team has missed out on bringing in a whole new market. 

Well, I think Trae came along and he's been the opposite and inverse.  He's a magnet for the celebrity community because he plays like a superstar when the lights are the brightest. 

Our GM's task is to put the correct pieces around Trae to make him a champion in Atlanta. 

Imagine... IF Trae Young leads us to our franchises First NBA Title....He'd get a statue too.

He just needs to fix his shot.  If he can get back to his career averages I'll be quiet.  If he was shooting career average we'd probably be 8-4 or better right now.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You consider trading him for a perennial All-NBA player that can bring more impact to the team.  You have to trade him for a person who can be a legit #1 option, seeing that we don't have that on this team.  That means the list of players to deal him for, are very small.  And most of those teams aren't dealing that player.

When you look at this, it's easy to see who has REAL impact on the team, and who doesn't.

image.thumb.png.5127e3796ac8375db53d7f016a4b49fc.png

Or this . .

image.thumb.png.673a6a8a493b44014e11d5907c7913a1.png

Or this . .

image.thumb.png.367202abf6341c4656466aa4de8a53ca.png

Or even this . . .

image.thumb.png.af04dded5173bcf0ceb2b8d521333b08.png

There's a theme here . . .

image.thumb.png.ab1bfa952bc3d88c108cce282b9638ff.png

One guy is having a career worst year shooting the ball after 12 games, but still finding ways to add value to the team.

But what is the thing that someone else sees?

If people are looking to kick someone out of the NWO, there's only one guy to kick out

@Peoriabird curious if you see any interesting patterns in these advanced stats. The pattern has persisted for the past 4 years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You consider trading him for a perennial All-NBA player that can bring more impact to the team.  You have to trade him for a person who can be a legit #1 option, seeing that we don't have that on this team.  That means the list of players to deal him for, are very small.  And most of those teams aren't dealing that player.

When you look at this, it's easy to see who has REAL impact on the team, and who doesn't.

image.thumb.png.5127e3796ac8375db53d7f016a4b49fc.png

Or this . .

image.thumb.png.673a6a8a493b44014e11d5907c7913a1.png

Or this . .

image.thumb.png.367202abf6341c4656466aa4de8a53ca.png

Or even this . . .

image.thumb.png.af04dded5173bcf0ceb2b8d521333b08.png

There's a theme here . . .

image.thumb.png.ab1bfa952bc3d88c108cce282b9638ff.png

One guy is having a career worst year shooting the ball after 12 games, but still finding ways to add value to the team.

But what is the thing that someone else sees?

If people are looking to kick someone out of the NWO, there's only one guy to kick out

I’ve never heard a satisfying answer on why it’s justified that he has putrid advanced stats.  You have to wordsmith your way around it.  But to me the emperor has no clothes.  

Starting to believe we have another JC on our hands where there is no return for a player we once deemed as core.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

...his shooting has been a total shit show, but yet...

He’s top 5 in the league with this over past 5 years.  You can use actual data to show impact.  

Hunter requires clever oration and mind tricks to talk people into his impact.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hunter requires clever oration and mind tricks to talk people into his impact.  

Yep, Hunter is fools gold.  He's a hummer with a 4 cylinder engine.  I just hope Landry can be a good enough used car salesman to get him off our lot.

16 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’ve never heard a satisfying answer on why it’s justified that he has putrid advanced stats.  You have to wordsmith your way around it.  But to me the emperor has no clothes.  

Starting to believe we have another JC on our hands where there is no return for a player we once deemed as core.  

Oh there's a reason.

Effort.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Oh there's a reason.

Effort.

The root of the low effort, like watching that rebound roll right around his feet until the Knicks grabbed it, is mindset.  NBA is the best of the best and the high alpha guys take it to beta and low alpha guys every night.  

I think Hunter puts in a lot of effort in training, practice, etc.  His mindset generates lower energy in game situations. 

Plus the dude can't dribble and is too Frankenstein.  Jalen glides.  Hunter plods.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wish Hunter hadn't gotten hurt.   He was doing so well pre-injury, and I can't help feel like it is unfair to judge him too much off of his injury minutes (much like JC after his finger injury).  That doesn't help us any in being a better team right now but I really wanted to see him take the next step this season and I hate it that his injury might be holding him back from that.  If he was healthy and playing like this, I would feel a lot better that we were seeing the "true" Hunter with ups and downs this season as opposed to "pre-injury" and "post-injury."  Of course, injury kind of goes with the territory with him but usually it is more about missing time than playing at 60%.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I wish Hunter hadn't gotten hurt.   He was doing so well pre-injury, and I can't help feel like it is unfair to judge him too much off of his injury minutes (much like JC after his finger injury).  That doesn't help us any in being a better team right now but I really wanted to see him take the next step this season and I hate it that his injury might be holding him back from that.  If he was healthy and playing like this, I would feel a lot better that we were seeing the "true" Hunter with ups and downs this season as opposed to "pre-injury" and "post-injury."  Of course, injury kind of goes with the territory with him but usually it is more about missing time than playing at 60%.

I understand the finger injury when it comes to shooting/scoring etc. and can live with that.....it's the other stuff: shouldn't affect his effort and doing the other little things to make his impact be felt in the game.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Problem is while Trae has seemingly stagnated there are now a few other young PGs blowing up. Not sure he's a top 3 PG in the conference anymore. He needs to regain the level he was showing two years ago for us to be a contender, and DJM needs to be at around 22ppg in 58+TS to go along with it. Not sure either of those things are too realistic though. 

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, AHF said:

Isn't there always something with Hunter? Injuries are pretty much as much a constant as his pedestrian production and terrible analytics. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I mean, points and assists is Trae's thing. I would expect him to do well in a stat like that. The question is about efficiency.

What's the question?  We know that he is struggling with his efficiency.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Problem is while Trae has seemingly stagnated there are now a few other young PGs blowing up. Not sure he's a top 3 PG in the conference anymore. He needs to regain the level he was showing two years ago for us to be a contender, and DJM needs to be at around 22ppg in 58+TS to go along with it. Not sure either of those things are too realistic though. 

I don't know that Trae has really stagnated.  I see him doing very different things running the offense this year and still playmaking to great effect and I'm seeing improved defense both by the eye test and in many metrics.  

The big problem is his shooting has been garbage.  He has to get back to better numbers there.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I understand the finger injury when it comes to shooting/scoring etc. and can live with that.....it's the other stuff: shouldn't affect his effort and doing the other little things to make his impact be felt in the game.

That is true, although it is more of something that is anecdotal for me since I can see individual plays that frustrate all of us but I'm not seeing a true deep dive on that along with benchmarking.  (I.e., if he had 3 "blown" plays a game but an average SF had 2 a game that is less troubling than if he had 3 a game and an average SF has 0.5.)  Moreover, I'm much happier to live with him not grabbing the ball off the floor from time to time if his overall rebounding is up (as it was early this season), his deflections and steals are up (as they were early this season), etc.   But the injury definitely isn't the cause for those specific plays so I can't argue about that.

• Like 1