• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I don’t see us doing anything this year. We’re about as mid as mid can be…maybe slightly worse. What if we do a soft 1 year rebuild?

Trade some of our bigger contracts like Capela, Bogi, and Hunter (maybe Murray too). This does 3 things:

1. Tanks. This is our last year of control for our FRP’s from the Murray trade. Let’s make the best of it. Should also have the Sacramento pick.

2. Recoup draft assets.

3. Create cap space to make a splash in free agency this upcoming summer and get players who better complement Trae.

Some names who will be available: AD, Lebron, OG, Kawhi, PG13, DeRozan, Claxton, Klay…just to name a few.

1. Why would you tank in the year 2024 when there is no consensus top rated #1 pick? (so says the experts)

2. Depends on which teams you are getting these assets from and how far out they are.

3. We never attract top end free agents and will end up overpaying middling ones just to say 'look we signed someone.'

AD - not a free agent, he signed an extension

LBJ - only if the Hawks draft Bronny would we even get a look.

OG and Claxton are interesting names.

Kawhi and PG13 - tied at the hip in LAC.  They run the franchise there.

DeRozan - He'll be 35 by then

Klay - He'll be 34 years by then

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Why would you tank in the year 2024 when there is no consensus top rated #1 pick? (so says the experts)

2. Depends on which teams you are getting these assets from and how far out they are.

3. We never attract top end free agents and will end up overpaying middling ones just to say 'look we signed someone.'

Even if there is no consensus #1 pick, I just don’t see the point of doing this play-in charade another year. It’s gotten us nowhere the past 2 years.

OG and Claxton are the 2 main FA’s I’d be interested in as well. 

• Moderators

The big question to me with Trae and DM is whether they can be effective defensively.  There is no question to me if they can succeed offensively.   It is really just about whether they are collectively too small such that either would fit better with a bigger two way SG.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The big question to me with Trae and DM is whether they can be effective defensively.  There is no question to me if they can succeed offensively.   It is really just about whether they are collectively too small such that either would fit better with a bigger two way SG.

It hasn't worked out at all on that end. Offensively I feel if one is going off the other is watching. Neither are efficient on small doses, and off ball imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The biggest issue is that we didn't get any assets for those players, whether it be guys who could be put in the rotation, or 2nd round picks that could be used to trade for a rotation piece.

We have a 2024 1st via SAC from the Huerter trade and 2026 2nd from the JC trade which will likely not convey because of protectionsto two teams, then its extinguished....what we didn't get was immediate on court help for this season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We don’t need a superstar.. we need defensive players.. guys who are in the top 50 of defensive efficiency and other metrics. Especially ones that are currently on bad teams with bad team defenses.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Indeed many of them do.  Hawks were sold bad goods thinking DJ would be a standout on that end.  His career best defensive rating is 101 (super elite for a small guard) and defensive box  2.2 (damn near elite). That man at 119 and -0.4 this season, respectively. No back court pressing, shying away from contact, getting blown by, not very vocal.  

Trae is baiting players into bad passes, doing his best to get over screens and chase, stripping, and taking timely charges.

I think the real problem is the wings...  Mainly 3,4.  and sometimes 5.   We don't have good defense played at those positions right now.   A team defense works together.   Ours dont... and as fans it leads us to look at individual players.   The problem is that some players are supposed to be good defensively.. but aren't in the system we're playing.  That's DJ, Dre, and OO.  They have been horrid by the eye test.  We knew Sidiq and Bogi were god awful on defense... so what do we have... bad defense.   This is the problem.  But there are too many homers to suggest that we make significant changes like Dre and OO.   I think DJ will function better with better backup... Dre may too.. I just haven't seen him be impactful... regardless of what the advanced stats suggest.   The hope is JJ comes back and helps our team defense.   We're forced to play Matthews and Matthues and Sidiq more than necessary.   Only Matthews is a good defender and I don't know. 

• Like 2

I love Murray but Zion might be available. 

10 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Indeed many of them do.  Hawks were sold bad goods thinking DJ would be a standout on that end.  His career best defensive rating is 101 (super elite for a small guard) and defensive box  2.2 (damn near elite). That man at 119 and -0.4 this season, respectively. No back court pressing, shying away from contact, getting blown by, not very vocal.  

Trae is baiting players into bad passes, doing his best to get over screens and chase, stripping, and taking timely charges.

DJ is miles better defending 1s than Trae. He's just bad defending 2s. 

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

I can't believe I am saying this but Trae, right now, is better defensively than DJM. He is. There's no way to deny it. I actually think the advanced metrics bear this out.

Whoever says our backcourt is the defensive issues, has no f'n clue about basketball, stats, or even watches the Hawks.

OUR FRONT COURT IS HORRIBLE

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Defensive studs . . or offensive snipers/slashers.

It would be nice to have another hyper athlete on this team at the wing or at the center position.

Next thing you know... Hawks trade for Max Struss. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

Whoever says our backcourt is the defensive issues, has no f'n clue about basketball, stats, or even watches the Hawks.

OUR FRONT COURT IS HORRIBLE

I don’t think there is a single “the” defensive issue.  DM is good at defending points and Trae is having a career best season defensively but neither has shown the ability to guard tall 2’s.  So there is an issue in that backcourt.  

Issues abound in the frontcourt with more variety.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I love Murray but Zion might be available. 

Pelicans have 'repeatedly stressed' to Zion Williamson to improve diet, conditioning, but he 'doesn't listen'

i_a8_bc_f8_zion-williamson.png?w=190
Zion Williamson’s poor work ethic has been a source of frustration for the Pelicans since they drafted him No. 1 in 2019. The Pelicans have tried to surround Williamson with veterans who have track records of maximizing their potential. The team signed JJ Redick in 2019. In 2022, they traded for CJ McCollum. None of it has made an impact. The Pelicans have repeatedly stressed to Williamson that his diet and conditioning need to improve. Williamson, multiple team sources have told The Times-Picayune, “doesn’t listen.”

But at the start of the season, it was clear Williamson was carrying too much weight. Most distressingly, he has not played himself into better shape, even though the regular season is more than one-quarter of the way over. If anything, Williamson’s conditioning has regressed. Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal, the two Hall of Fame big men who are now popular broadcasters with TNT, each gave Williamson fresh doses of tough love this week.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People were more than ready to move on from both Huerter and Collins at the time they were traded.  Huerter was 6-7, but had major defensive issues and was not aggressive at times.  And we have talked all about Collins' issues last season.

The biggest issue is that we didn't get any assets for those players, whether it be guys who could be put in the rotation, or 2nd round picks that could be used to trade for a rotation piece.

I'm nowhere near pushing the panic button on the season, by trading either Trae or DJ.  I still say that these two are not the overall problem with the team.  Our backcourt, along with Bogi, is top 5 in the league.

image.png.0e5c9a698f9728ff69b97709eeeb2374.png

Our frontcourt, while being the strength of our pitiful defense, is a completely different story.

image.png.32aa6fc3220839d9c34b1d4ba0585abe.png

How much worse would this look without JJ?

Upgrade the frontcourt.

image.png

Nothing wrong with moving on from either of those guys. Giving them up for virtually nothing is the issue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pelicans have 'repeatedly stressed' to Zion Williamson to improve diet, conditioning, but he 'doesn't listen'

i_a8_bc_f8_zion-williamson.png?w=190
Zion Williamson’s poor work ethic has been a source of frustration for the Pelicans since they drafted him No. 1 in 2019. The Pelicans have tried to surround Williamson with veterans who have track records of maximizing their potential. The team signed JJ Redick in 2019. In 2022, they traded for CJ McCollum. None of it has made an impact. The Pelicans have repeatedly stressed to Williamson that his diet and conditioning need to improve. Williamson, multiple team sources have told The Times-Picayune, “doesn’t listen.”

But at the start of the season, it was clear Williamson was carrying too much weight. Most distressingly, he has not played himself into better shape, even though the regular season is more than one-quarter of the way over. If anything, Williamson’s conditioning has regressed. Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal, the two Hall of Fame big men who are now popular broadcasters with TNT, each gave Williamson fresh doses of tough love this week.

Only reason I'd acquire zion is to IMMEDIATELY  flip him to some place for the assets I really want. 

• Haha 2