• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder "at" Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

So the assertion you both are making is that we can never have a stretch where we score 4 points in 2 minutes or we just lose the game?

I have no idea why you would think I would ever say this.  What can't happen in a given 2 minute stretch?

It's not like we had a 5 or 6 minute drought (which we have done many times this season), it was literally 2.5 minutes and we actually scored a couple times.

I'm not focused on one game.  I'm saying that we have a recurring problem in the fourth quarters and it is partly a defensive problem and partly an offensive problem.  Solutions should be developed for both sides of the ball in parallel.  

We scored 141 points in the game for crying out loud! At some point you have to think it's easier to get back on defense and get a stop or at least make them use more than 5 seconds of the shot-clock than it is having to score on every single possession to maintain your lead. 

Of course you need to get back on defense.  One way to help that is to keep running your normal offense rather than what we have done for much of this year which has been ineffective.  When you score, it is much easier to get back on defense.  When you are back on defense, it is easier to get a stop.  Improving the offense isn't the only solution to the 4th quarter dilemma.  Improving the defense has a similar synergistic effect with the offense.

If you want to talk about adjustments we could have made to improve our chances:

• We should've ran OO instead of Capella because they were playing ultra small and running hard. Capella wasn't fast enough to get up the floor to defend that style.
  • We should have pulled Bey for Forrest to get more defense on the floor.
  • I also saw several times when JJ would play matador defense because he had 5 fouls and didn't want to foul out. Coach should've told him to keep playing defense or sat him for someone who would.

I'm not even arguing against these things.  In particular, I agree that it was obvious that having Forrest on the floor to check SGA was a good idea.  He was killing us.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

you want to talk about adjustments we could have made to improve our chances:

• We should've ran OO instead of Capella because they were playing ultra small and running hard. Capella wasn't fast enough to get up the floor to defend that style.
  • We should have pulled Bey for Forrest to get more defense on the floor.
  • I also saw several times when JJ would play matador defense because he had 5 fouls and didn't want to foul out. Coach should've told him to keep playing defense or sat him for someone who would.

I don't disagree with any of this.

• Like 1