• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder "at" Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

The Look that Quin Synder gave Trae after he missed the logo three.

Spoiler

image.png

Then he put Trae on the bench.   Hell, it may have been his time to come out... but pulling him after the boneheaded shot was great coaching. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

In this era, not many leads are safe.  We need to learn this and play accordingly.

Our biggest problem.. really.. is learning to play with a lead.    Honestly, it's a psychology to it.  I heard somebody talking about Michael Jordan and his in game philosophy.   What they said (and it may have been him, I don't remember) is that he always ignored the scoreboard and played the game as if it were 0-0.   For us it starts with Trae.   Trae is keenly aware of the scoreboard at all time.. I know this because I pay attention to his clock management.   Trae still has some of that HS shit in him where he can goof around and do show off stuff  when you have a lead.  I would have wished that he could spend a summer with Kobe instead of Steph.   What he would have learned from Kobe is how to be a killer.  Instead, he spent the summer with the Killer in this game... the baby faced assassin who is not going to teach you how to be a killer.  He will teach you how to be elite and disrespectful at the same time.  There is nobody of Kobe's ilk around the game these days.  Maybe Jimmy Butler.   However,  Trae is a killer, but he doesn't have the mean streak yet.   He's still smiling and Lebroning everybody at the end of games.   We've seen it... a pissed off Trae plays better than a loose Trae.  Being connected to DJ is good.   DJ has the potential to be that type of bad boy but he's too much heart.  When people talk about us being sawft... it's because we don't have those guys on the team that just looks to destroy whoever is playing against them.   I'm not going to say we don't have that... I'm saying it hasn't been activated yet. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

Still trying to get over that we were up 135-120…15 points…with just 3:21 left in the game, yet it came down to the last shot.

Boy do we need some defenders in the worst way.

We do for sure but we also need some clutch genes.  Here's our offense from that point

MISS Bey 3PT Jump Shot

MISS Murray Tip Layup Shot

Johnson 10' Floating Jump Shot (28 PTS) (Young 11 AST)

Johnson Bad Pass Turnover (P1.T12)

MISS Murray 25' 3PT Jump Shot

HAWKS Turnover: Shot Clock (T#13)

MISS Murray 3' Driving Floating Jump Shot

MISS Bogdanovic 26' 3PT Jump Shot

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That Holmgren dude really reminded me of a pale KD at times, I must admit.  OKC needs some beef tho. There were too many times Capela, OO, JJ, even Bey just walked right through them for a rebound.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Isn't a lot of this stuff the things we were raking Nate over the coals for? Quinn gets a pass??

While I strongly feel that we are a better club with Quin than Nate, I definitely don't give Quin a pass. There are too many things he and this team do (or don't do) that are giving me pause. 

That said, I definitely don't see him getting a free pass around here. Unlike Nate, Quin hasn't been with the team a full year yet. But, he needs to do a better job just as much as the players and GM do.

Edited by TheTruth
  • Like 4

These players are worth keeping:

Trae, JJ, DJM, Bogi

These players need to be flipped to better defensive players:

AJ, OO, Capela, Bey, Hunter.. package them up and find better defensive blue bloods to surround the core..

Like JJJ, Caruso, Marcus Smart

Im giving Quin a pass until we get better defensive players.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member

So I watched the OKC broadcast rather than the ATl broadcast.   they did a whole segment talking about how great Dominique was.  Michael Cage had a lot to say on that front.

Most interesting to me was how they covered the Trae Young/Lindy Waters connection.    They mentioned how they were high school teammates and how they were the "dynamic duo".  But no mention at all about how much they dislike each other.  No mention of how they don't even acknowledge each other on the court.

Years ago I was watching OU vs OSU with Trae vs Waters with Fran Franchilla who knows literally everyone connected with the game of basketball world wide on the mic.   Fran said something that to this day has stuck with me and my wife.  He said they were high school teammates, but they are not close.    It was such an odd comment at the time,. but it made perfect sense when you read between the lines.  It was clear that they didn't like each other.

Since then I've seen them on the same court several times and they never say hi to each other.  Very odd for former HS teammates.

My theory has always been that Waters resented that the kid a year younger than him in school was suprassing him and over shadowing his own senior year.  I always chalked it up to Waters jealousy of Trae.

Would love for someone to ask Trae or Lindy and really get to the bottom of it.  

It became a regular "meme" in my house whenever we would see Waters on TV one of us would comment and say "...and he's not close friends with Trae"  To this day we still say that or joke about whenever announcers talk about players who are childhood or long time friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Isn't a lot of this stuff the things we were raking Nate over the coals for? Quinn gets a pass??

Yup.

Nope.

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

So I watched the OKC broadcast rather than the ATl broadcast.   they did a whole segment talking about how great Dominique was.  Michael Cage had a lot to say on that front.

Most interesting to me was how they covered the Trae Young/Lindy Waters connection.    They mentioned how they were high school teammates and how they were the "dynamic duo".  But no mention at all about how much they dislike each other.  No mention of how they don't even acknowledge each other on the court.

Years ago I was watching OU vs OSU with Trae vs Waters with Fran Franchilla who knows literally everyone connected with the game of basketball world wide on the mic.   Fran said something that to this day has stuck with me and my wife.  He said they were high school teammates, but they are not close.    It was such an odd comment at the time,. but it made perfect sense when you read between the lines.  It was clear that they didn't like each other.

Since then I've seen them on the same court several times and they never say hi to each other.  Very odd for former HS teammates.

My theory has always been that Waters resented that the kid a year younger than him in school was suprassing him and over shadowing his own senior year.  I always chalked it up to Waters jealousy of Trae.

Would love for someone to ask Trae or Lindy and really get to the bottom of it.  

It became a regular "meme" in my house whenever we would see Waters on TV one of us would comment and say "...and he's not close friends with Trae"  To this day we still say that or joke about whenever announcers talk about players who are childhood or long time friends.

Be honest.  This story is about you and me and you know it.  No need to be jealous, bro. 

On a serious note, the Rathbun brought up that they knew each other and called it a "rivalry".  Their interactions definitely seemed cold.  Ah well, F that guy.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

These players are worth keeping:

Trae, JJ, DJM, Bogi

These players need to be flipped to better defensive players:

AJ, OO, Capela, Bey, Hunter.. package them up and find better defensive blue bloods to surround the core..

Like JJJ, Caruso, Marcus Smart

Im giving Quin a pass until we get better defensive players.

I think you need to move one of DJ or Trae.... unless you know 5th seed is the ambition. For me it's obvious which of the two you move. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think you've been seeing increasing criticism of Snyder as the year has progressed in game day threads, in threads focused on his decisions / strategies, and in other places as well.  The honeymoon period is mostly over.  

That said, offensively we are drastically better off than we were under Nate and just a glance at a shot location chart backs that up.  Big and important changes to the better.  But there have been issues with the rotation, with fourth quarters, and other areas that are ripe for conversation and I don't think Quin is getting a free pass on those topics.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think you've been seeing increasing criticism of Snyder as the year has progressed in game day threads, in threads focused on his decisions / strategies, and in other places as well.  The honeymoon period is mostly over.  

That said, offensively we are drastically better off than we were under Nate and just a glance at a shot location chart backs that up.  Big and important changes to the better.  But there have been issues with the rotation, with fourth quarters, and other areas that are ripe for conversation and I don't think Quin is getting a free pass on those topics.

In the end you have to have the right personnel no matter how good of a coach you are.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In the end you have to have the right personnel no matter how good of a coach you are.  

22 minutes ago, shakes said:

eventually we're gonna run out of coaches to blame.

You can only work with the tools you have but nobody is perfect so there are still going to be issues that are fair critiques for any player or coach.  To that end, I think north's recent complaints that while JJ was out Quin unreasonably resisted playing big opting instead to play Mat(t)hews was a mistake are well founded.  

But I think it would be a mistake to "blame" Quin as if we would be champions if he did everything right.  That wasn't the case with Nate and isn't the case now.  Both coaches had flawed rosters that didn't include a championship under any scenario.  But critiquing the coach for mistakes is totally fair.  For Nate, two low hanging fruit examples are his refusal to play JJ and his insistence on emphasizing long 2pt jumpers.

• Like 1